Thread: Higher stall and different gears, problems

Tuner

Higher stall and different gears, problems

I've just rebuilt my trans with all the hard parts. Also changed over to a 3.69 sprocket ratio and a yank 3000 stall. I've changed the sprocket ratio and also scaled all the tables by about 79%. It shifts ok, not great but it shifts, they are nice and firm but over all doesn't feel right. I can't get the converter to lock at all on the highway. Played with the max & min tables as i've read in many post (90 min and 100 max), the converter just shudders and won't lock. Tried to raise the lockup and release speeds and really didn't help. Put it back to stock and it kinda locks under light throttle going around 30mph, can't get it to lock anywhere else. Can someone give me some insight on what i'm doing wrong? This is driving me crazy Thanks

Mike
    98 Buick GSX IS3 Heads/GenVblower/cammed/intercooled and stalled
    02 Collector Edition Trans Am WS6
    94 S-10 with Rancho 3" lift on 33's
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Ttt

Tuner
    TC wouldnt lock with the 90 min and 100 max. Set them to stock and it locked up ok, now it shudders after a month of working fine. So i'm stumped more now, on the 3.69s i'm going to grab the trans shift tables out of a LaCrosse with 3.69s so i can get them really close.
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Tuner
    I see this is an old post but what did you figure out?
    I'm helping some other people including myself on trans tuning issues and I am interested in what you came up with.
    I also have the 3:69's and a 3k stall.
    Thanks,
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

Tuner
    I actually got all of the gear problems fixed, stall issues no. I pulled the side cover and swapped out another new TCC solenoid, hoping that fixes the problem. If anything, do not set your TC tables to 90 and 100, it doesn't work on the 3800 cars, or at least with a yank. I increased them a little over stock, going to the 90 and 100 was way to hard on it and just smashed it into lock and unlock. Basically to hard that it wouldn't hold once locked. The guys I've talked with said that might have damaged my TCC solenoid, I can manually lockup the TC using a TechII (HPT doesn't support that anymore for some stupid reason) and it holds fine so we don't think its the TC. The car is up in storage for the winter, so I won't know until April if it worked or not. I'm also going to set all my torque management stuff for the trans back to stock to eliminate that as a problem.
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Tuner
    No problem Bandit...
    I was just asking because I was able to figure out my trans tune issues and I'm very pleased with the results.

Later,
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit gs
    The guys I've talked with said that might have damaged my TCC solenoid, I can manually lockup the TC using a TechII (HPT doesn't support that anymore for some stupid reason) and it holds fine so we don't think its the TC.
    Are you able to lock it in a specific gear using bi-di controls? We had a customer saying he couldn't lock into a specific gear but were able to fix him up after he contacted support.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Also be sure there are no restrictions in the trans cooler. My cooler (in the radiator) was restriced and causing very similar problems. I could lock the converter with a snap-on scanner, but when the PCM tried to lock the converter it slipped and surged pretty badly.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Are you able to lock it in a specific gear using bi-di controls? We had a customer saying he couldn't lock into a specific gear but were able to fix him up after he contacted support.
    Hmm, all I remember was driving along at 55 and forcing lockup and it went right in and stayed locked until we unlocked it manually, worked perfect.

Also, i'll have to look into the cooler and see if there is a possible blockage, not a bad idea actually. Previous to the rebuilt my TC let go an sent clutch material throughout. I did flush the cooler when I installed the rebuilt unit, but maybe there is a small kinked line or something, at least something I haven't looked into too much. Hmm

Both great ideas, thanks for the help
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe