Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need reviews of tuning guide

Tuner in Training

Need reviews of tuning guide

I put together a little step by step guide for guys new to tuning (like myself).
    This is just material that I found in the help manual and HPtuners forum that I put together in a start to finish sequence for tuning a car. I didn't come up with any of this, I just wanted something that I could follow when I tune my car.
    Anyway, can some of the experienced guys take a look and make any changes or suggestions. If you see something wrong or a better way of doing something, please let me know.
    Thanks

EDIT: Added screenshots from Eagle. This is the newest version v16JUL07.

http://www.mediafire.com/?amd2yi94msg
    Last edited by Cpig; 07-16-2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Updated version of guide
    '01 Z06, American Racing LT Headers w/cats, Halltech CAI, BB Bullets Exhaust.

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpig
    I put together a little step by step guide for guys new to tuning (like myself).
    This is just material that I found in the help manual and HPtuners forum that I put together in a start to finish sequence for tuning a car. I didn't come up with any of this, I just wanted something that I could follow when I tune my car.
    Anyway, can some of the experienced guys take a look and make any changes or suggestions. If you see something wrong or a better way of doing something, please let me know.
    Thanks
    Great that you are making such an effort. Include as many screen shots as possible and links to Bill's Demo's would be my basic input

DH
    Last edited by Dirty Howie; 06-17-2007 at 07:47 PM.

2004 MSG A4

Appearance: Billet Plate&Sill/SS Insert/Screens/Blackout/Lowered/CCW SP500

Perfomance: 416 CI/228-232@114/AFR 225/FAST/LS2 TB/36#Injectors/Honker/RPM(IV)/Vig2400/Z06 Ti/Kooks/3.42 Gear/Hotchkis/Bilstein/Z06 Springs/Eradispeed/Hawk HP+/Trans Cooler/B&M Trans Pan/RonDavies with EOC/Nitto R2's/AMWcan/Rocker Rails/Frame Savers

Mods & Tune: A&A Corvette

??? RWHP / ??? RWTQ
    1/4 mile: mid 11's ??
    WSIR 1:37.68

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    the VE tuning XLX file link doesnt work
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Bill, I'll fix that - and thanks for all of your help (read and used a lot of your stuff to make the guide).

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I noticed

its a ton of work putting these things together...im sure your realizing that now hehe.

Tuner in Training
    Made a few changes to the guide. Howie, thanks for the advice, I'll be implementing your recomendations as soon as I get a chance.

Please keep the recommendations coming,
    Thanks

I see that your write up is like most others and I still dont get something. It said to go as nice and smooth on the gas as possable. That works great for 4000 rpms and below. Above that and WOT how do you get that affected to dial in the VE? I have a A4 and dont see how I can do a nice smooth WOT pull w/out putting it to the floor then lifting when im about 80mph???

One other thing, I see that for spark timing you put "Do not do it from a roll". How do you guys get traction from a stop? If I go WOT from anything less than 40mph the ass end breaks loose big time?
    Last edited by domestic rice; 06-22-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

OMG that answered so many questions I had and had no ideal where to begin asking!!! Thanks so much for putting all that info together! Now would someone be willing to direct me towards some info on tuning the timing and such for nitrous?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by domestic rice
    I see that your write up is like most others and I still dont get something. It said to go as nice and smooth on the gas as possable. That works great for 4000 rpms and below. Above that and WOT how do you get that affected to dial in the VE? I have a A4 and dont see how I can do a nice smooth WOT pull w/out putting it to the floor then lifting when im about 80mph???
    The key part of that is smooth "as possible". Like you said - below 4000 rpm smooth is easy to achieve, but higher than that "smooth as possible" may be close to mashing the throttle.
    Last edited by Cpig; 06-23-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by domestic rice

One other thing, I see that for spark timing you put "Do not do it from a roll". How do you guys get traction from a stop? If I go WOT from anything less than 40mph the ass end breaks loose big time?
    When tuning the WOT AFR, I command 2nd gear with the scanner and go wot from a dead stop till redline. And same for the WOT spark tuning.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    When tuning the WOT AFR, I command 2nd gear with the scanner and go wot from a dead stop till redline. And same for the WOT spark tuning.

Russ Kemp
    Thanks man. Have you ever done a back to back run with one run the VE shows lean and on the second it shows rich, all with the same settings? I dont get this.
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

Also you can get to someof the nondriving cells by using the brake and gas at he same time

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    BTW Cpig, Step 4 was done by HP Tuners own Devildogg9999 so you can add that into your compilation.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    BTW Cpig, Step 4 was done by HP Tuners own Devildogg9999 so you can add that into your compilation.
    Thanks Bill, made the change. I'm still unsure about the last page (Disabling Rear O2s, Mil Lights, SES, DTCs) What is the difference between unchecking the SES block and setting error mode 2 - no mil light? Like when you say when disabling the MAF you can set error mode to 2 - no mil light; can I also uncheck the SES block?
    Last edited by Cpig; 07-05-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Cpig, lots of good information pulled together here, good stuff.

Another document to add to the reading list.
    2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Advanced Tuner
    CPig-

YOU, my man, are the best. I'm just getting started with VE tuning, timing/spark adjustments and needed some answers in layman's terms. Your doc is perfect. I'll see if I can grab some screenies and add them to your doc... would you mind?

-Eagle
    2011 Z07 Carbon Edition

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle
    CPig-

YOU, my man, are the best. I'm just getting started with VE tuning, timing/spark adjustments and needed some answers in layman's terms. Your doc is perfect. I'll see if I can grab some screenies and add them to your doc... would you mind?

-Eagle
    Please do Eagle, I want this to be as easy to understand as possible and I think screen shots help a lot with that. Just email me your edited copy and I'll update the linked copy.
    Last edited by Cpig; 07-06-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm tuning my VE's for the first time on my TA here this weekend... so not only am I completely clueless (for the most part anyways) but I'm decent at screenies and such. Thanks for the doc, without it I'd be asking 20 questions on the forums. So far, this is the best single stop doc I've found to date.

I'll let you know when I have it spiced up a bit.

-Eagle
    2011 Z07 Carbon Edition

Advanced Tuner
    I'm curious though, about the order of the steps. Pretune checks, VE tuning using LTFT STFT, VE tuning using STFT only, alternative SD tuning with a wideband (if one might be so lucky), KR elimination, idle tuning, and finally timing tuning.

I'll assume I can skip to the end of the doc to the timing portion if thats all I want to do and my VE is close (I dont even have bolt on parts), my KR is non existent, and my idle is steady. Therefore, I'd assume that I can jump right to step 6 in your doc.

True?

-Eagle
    2011 Z07 Carbon Edition

Tuner in Training
    Correct Eagle