Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 Firebird Knock Retard

98 Firebird Knock Retard

Just got my HP Tuners today. Changed the rear ratio, speed limit and disabled the trans abuse. When i logg some 100% WOT runs at about 5500 RPM im getting Knock retard at 4 degrees. Whats up? I have heard the 98 knock modules are overly sensitive?

When its in park and reved up to 5600 RPM i log no knock, only when driving and hammer it to WOT

Different airflow when you're driving it. Probably real KR though. If you suspect the knock sensors, just plan on replacing them anyway as you're going to have to take the intake off to get them out. And seal them up with silicone when you're done. Everything helps...
    Always Support Our Troops!

Question

here is the log file while drving around and the tune file.

Help !!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
    Help !!
    First, I wouldn't rev the motor to 5600 while sitting still, this is hard on the motor and it serves no purpose in tuning.

Your car looks to be very lean, all those 10s and 13s in your LTFT histogram are showing that your PCM is adding 10% to 13% fuel. You need to do some tuning on the VE. Your LTFTs are showing your AFR to be around 16.1 to 16.6, when it should be 14.7.

I thought that it would possible show if the motor had a motor knock, I do feel a thunp from my umi touque arm. when it shifts.
    It does have Mac Long tube and Off Road Y pipe, No Cats, Magna flow exhaust.

You should get your fueling in order first. Once you get the VE, MAF and PE fueling corrected, work on the spark tables. Since you are so lean, when you get the fuel correct, a lot of the knock will go away. Are you using a wideband, because you cannot tune wide open throttle fueling without one.

no wideband. what ones work best with HP tuners? do they replace the stock ones or can i use them where the ones once were further down the line?

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
    no wideband. what ones work best with HP tuners? do they replace the stock ones or can i use them where the ones once were further down the line?
    Any of them will work with HP Tuners. You don't want to put it where the rear O2s where, it's too far away for correct readings. You can choose a wideband that simulates a narrowband and just replace your narrowband with it. Or, you can have a bung welded in near the narrowband.

I am using this one and use it as my narrowband also.

http://www.plxdevices.com/products/dm5/afrsmcombo/

Check this thread for recommendations.
    I personally started out with the PLX M250 with gauge but I'm now using the DynoJet Wideband Commander.

Here is my new tune how does it look?

Im going to get a log file now for it.

to get the AFR Ratio can I take: AFR = (mVout x 1.4) + 9
    EXAMPLE: 942mV x 1.4 = 1.3188 + 9 = 10.31
    AFR = 10.3:1

Is this correct?

Are you talking about the narrowband sensors? If so, you can't tune off them at WOT. They don't represent AFR at WOT by any stretch of the imagination. You must use a wideband to tune WOT.

Tuner in Training sixvi6-camaro's Avatar
    yeah don't tune the WOT with the narrowbands. Just looking at that tune you set the PE to 1.300? that is crazy rich. set it to 1.220 (which is still rich) and leave it unless you have a wideband.

From you other log your car is running lean and the computer is adding fuel to the system. That is what all the Positive number LTFT's means. Problem is that even at WOT the computer adds this extra fuel from the LTFTs and the PE table adds fuel as well making teh car silly rich. You will need to follow the tuning guides in the stickys and get the VE set.. then scale the MAF calibration afterwards to get everything close by multiplying the entire table by a few % at a time until the LTFTs are near 0.

Basically when you go WOT you want to see the LTFT's to drop to 0. that means the Computer isn't adding or taking fuel from the LTFT at WOT. Then you can get a wideband and tune the WOT using the PE table.

Here is todays log file driving around the block. How is she looking.

PE = Power Enrich correct?
    I did find one problem. I tuned out the AIR but forgot to pull the FUSE !!
    Wanted to make sure it all worked before i removed it from the Car.
    How does the new log look. Ill change the PE to 1.220 and post that log file here shortly.

Check out the new log now that i made the suggested change to the ve.

Tuner in Training sixvi6-camaro's Avatar
    Yup.. PE = Power enrichment..

Its getting better. If the VE table is good I'd scale the MAF. Scaling the MAF will make a large difference. Under Engine/Airflow/ MAF calibration "airflow vs frequency".. select the entire table and multiply it by 1.06 ... That will add 6% on to all the values on the table. Its a small change but it will make a big difference on the next log. Then reset the fuel trims when you take the next log and see where you are at. you should see all the LTFT's drop by 6 because we scaled the MAF by that much.