Thread: OS Swap Compatibility

Potential Tuner

OS Swap Compatibility

When you swap a os in a vehicle. What do you look for in software to know if it will work well with no weird stuff happening? So for instance. Swapped a whipple os in to a f150 which I compared the 2 and all the settings for oil pressure sensor etc were all the same. Once I swapped it would have weird things pop up like low oil pressure message in dash. Once I cycle the key it goes away. It comes back every time I hook my mvpi device to it to log or write. Another weird thing is the red brake light will come on, again once I cycle the engine off and on it goes away. Load back in the stock os and it doesn't do any of that stuff. Same thing with a mustang gt that was roush os and I changed it back to factory Style OS. Oil pressure message comes on with that like the f150 until you cycle key.
    When you purchase a whipple and they ask you for vin, I'm assuming they need that vin and stock calibration to pick the correct whipple OS for it or are they sending it to hp tuners support to make the OS work with your vehicle??
    Super curious but if anyone has any insite on any of this I'd really appreciate it!
    Thank you!

Tuner
    OS swaps almost always have demons attached unless you are switching to another calibration intended for that same vehicle and hardware part number.

The biggest issue I could predict with putting say, an S550 calibration on an F150, is that the canbus broadcast array may not be the same between the two. So you may have messages on the bus that are being interpreted differently by the rest of the chassis. This is why engine swap guys sometimes use a CAN translator to get their factory modules working.

The Whipple cals more than likely solve this by using chassis specific factory calibrations as a starting point for their OS.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCat030 View Post
    OS swaps almost always have demons attached unless you are switching to another calibration intended for that same vehicle and hardware part number.

The biggest issue I could predict with putting say, an S550 calibration on an F150, is that the canbus broadcast array may not be the same between the two. So you may have messages on the bus that are being interpreted differently by the rest of the chassis. This is why engine swap guys sometimes use a CAN translator to get their factory modules working.

The Whipple cals more than likely solve this by using chassis specific factory calibrations as a starting point for their OS.
    Who makes the os for their whipple cal? Like how are they able to send a file back so quickly that's compatible for the vehicle with that os? They must have every os software/chassis specific on standby ready to go and use your vin supplied to use the correct configuration....

Tuner
    I'm only guessing since I don't know how things work there. You wouldn't necessarily need to patch every single OS, but you would need to account for every chassis and hardware configuration, and then account for changes over the years. Depending on the platform, that could be one or two OS per vehicle per year, or maybe one OS covers multiple years. But presumably they see providing the OS as a requirement for marketing the blowers, so I wouldn't be surprised if that work is done upfront

Tuner in Training
    I'm only guessing since I don't know how things work there. You wouldn't necessarily need to patch every single OS, but you would need to account for every chassis and hardware configuration, and then account for changes over the years. Depending on the platform, that could be one or two OS per vehicle per year, or maybe one OS covers multiple years. But presumably they see providing the OS as a requirement for marketing the blowers, so I wouldn't be surprised if that work is done upfront
    They will not provide the os anymore. They are using rtd or emailing your file locked.

Tuner
    Hm that's interesting to know. So no DIY tuning on their OS anymore. Either way, point stands that they probably have the calibrations patched up front.

Tuner in Training
    Hm that's interesting to know. So no DIY tuning on their OS anymore. Either way, point stands that they probably have the calibrations patched up front.
    Yea definitely. I've heard guys on here talk about being able to tune the whipples without that os but when I correct the torque inverse, DD to cooperate with the throttle body data for 132mm throttle body. There's still some kind of hard limit of some sort and the really concern to me is that the torque/inverse numbers and DD looked jacked and unrealistic to what the truck is actually doing so it's almost un tunable with out that whipple OS. Unless someone has something to say other wise....

Whipple has graciously provided me with their spreadsheet, and they do have a calibration to match up with each and every calibration, so they do not run into these problems.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC