Thread: Such thing as too low idle?

Tuner in Training

Such thing as too low idle?

Hi tuners.
    Just wanted some opinions on my idle. Very novice tuner running an L77 (6.0) with a 218/226 112+2 Cam. Also have a 2800 stall. With a bit of effort, I've gotten my cam to idle nicely and smoothly at 600rpm in drive (625 in n/p)
    From everything I've read, it seems fairly low especially since the stock cam idles at 550 yet this one needs BRAF minimum of 9 - stock is only 5.88 so a fair increase of airflow.

I have no complaints at all, just wondering if there's anything detrimental in running it (apparently) so low?

You won't hurt anything. It's just a preference as long as it runs/drives well

...and has enough alternator output, and enough cooling, and enough A/C, and enough oil flow, and...

Correct... I suppose I should be more specific rather than encompass the details in "runs"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. No issues with accessories or oil pressure so I'll keep it where it is.

Senior Tuner
    You might not have enough reserve for that once in a blue moon backing out of a parking lot etc. but no issues.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs