Thread: stock ecm swap

stock ecm swap

I am trying to swap an ecm with matching numbers from a 2007 4.3l 1500 to a 2007 6.0l 3500 van.

everything is stock

Is this possible?

can I simply copy the tables ect. into the new ecm?

Does it matter that the vin doesn't match?

Senior Tuner
    What are the main operating systems numbers of each PCM? Not the PCM service numbers?

Both ecm's are the same 12597120.

This is the "operating system" number under "calibration details", "controllers" in the vcm editor. Let me know if your talking about something else.

I am just trying to help a friend get his van fixed, (gas gauge doesn't work, mechanic says it's the ecm) unfortunately it seems that I spent two credits on the old ecm by accident didn't read the new ecm before applying credits.

Anyway, I assumed this was a simple process but maybe I was mistaken, let me know if this is possible to do before I spend another to credits please.

Senior Tuner
    You are going to have to license the new PCM. With HPT you always have to have a license for the file you are wanting to flash and the file that is in the PCM being flashed. Then you can just write entire the VAN calibration to the 4.3L PCM. If you had licensed the 4.3L PCM first you could have segment swapped all the other Van segments to the 4.3L calibration then wrote that file.

Thanks, that is how I thought it would work. unfortunately I messed up and licensed the old ecm. It appears that I can change vins on the ecms but I don't know if that is nescesary? or does the "write entire" do that for me?

Senior Tuner
    Write entire creates an exact clone of the old PCM you get the calibration out of. including the VIN. You will probably have to do the 30 minute VATS relearn when you install the new PCM in the van.

Thanks, that is what I need.