Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LQ4 with Summit 8707 cam with stock 8.1 injectors

Senior Tuner
    People sure can be sensitive to what random people on the internet think about them.

Potential Tuner
    That and it is a stock OEM part which while not foolproof, makes it easier to tech and also reduces the chance that old guys turn their nose up at it. They don't know what an (x) lb/hr injector is. I just have to tell them it's from a stock 8.1L. To cheat it they'll have to find a bigger Multec injector. Not saying it can't be done....but it reduces the chance someone tries. Not everyone knows about marine injectors.

The fuel system is a Corvette fuel filter system that doesn't require permanent modification of the truck or fuel cell if they sell the truck and someone wants to run a carb engine again.

Monitoring competitors' fuel pressure is already going to be hard enough with a Corvette filter. I thought about seeing if the stock injectors can get there with just more pressure, but it gives competitors something to tinker with and then complain that it doesn't run right because they think "more pressure equals more HP".

I have to speak a language they understand, and one less modification to a harness they are already going to say "look at all those wires" at. Sales is part of the deal. The only reason I built a truck is because none of them will consider it unless I put one in front of them....and it makes enough power for them to be afraid of it.

That's the other thing I did with the 8.1 file was swap the injector data into the 6.0 tune. I'll get them installed and see what it does. I kept the MAF harness when I weeded the harness. I also used two 36 pin lever lock connectors from a Trailblazer to allow easy engine changes. Actually the LS should be easier and faster to pull than the Gen 1 small block.

The cam was chosen because it pretty much exactly matched what COMP recommended when I told them what I was doing. At the end of the day, I don't have much control over how someone builds their engine. I don't know if it's a junkyard engine or if it's a built bottom end with bigger valves I DO have to know what exactly is in the tune. One of the best giveaways something smells funny for me as the tech guy is if it doesn't run right. If I put a small cam in it... someone's going to put THIS cam in it. What they don't have access to is the tune.
    We will have several PCMs so if I think something is up, I probably won't even check the CVN....we'll just swap the box. I just take the box and compare the files if they don't match.... you're DQ'd.

After this one goes across the Dyno, we'll build a 5.3 the same way, and put it across the Dyno. We'll probably have build a couple fresh engines as well. Just have to see how it goes.