Thread: Throw me a life jacket

Potential Tuner

LS1 Z28 base tune

New to HP Tuners, new to EFI. I recently bought a 200,000 mile 2000 Z28 LS1. Trying to learn on what I have before I build an engine for a swap. I?m more than familiar with tuning carbureted engines, not professional; but I can definitely hold my own. I understand the effects of fuel and timing across an entire curve, I?ve held good conversations with professional engine tuners before. Not saying I?m a genius, but I?m definitely not hopeless. My problem is trying to trade in the Screwdrivers and wrenches for a keyboard and a mouse.

Where do I need to go to learn the ways of HP? I?ve been watching as many videos on YouTube as I can find. But I?m very much a hands on learner, and that is where I?m having an issue learning. So who has the best videos or online classes I can take? Im also located in NW Indiana if anyone knows of a brick and mortar shop that would be willing to teach
    Last edited by Bparks6446; 02-29-2024 at 01:13 PM.

Tuner in Training
    It's much easier today than it was 25 years ago, if you don't understand it, Google it! You won't learn it in a few hours, it's gonna take hundreds of hours to get proficient. Start by plugging into the car and retrieving the as found tune file and study it along with others you find on sites like this. Make a simple change to something like idle rpm, load it into the car and test it. You will be on your way to a lifetime of tuning.
    You need to be careful who you learn from. As there are a 1,000 ways to skin a cat, there are as many tuners that claim to know what they are doing as there are tuners that actually know what they are doing. No the less, car shows and test and tune days are a good place to find a mentor to get you started. I would like to think there are some good mentors here, but I'm thinking some are getting tired of answering the same old questions over and over.

If you want to jump start your learning on a specific platform, places like Jeff Evans tuning do have pay to learn content that is very helpful for beginners. Much easier than trying to piece it together from random google searches.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bparks6446 View Post
    New to HP Tuners, new to EFI. I recently bought a 200,000 mile 2000 Z28 LS1. Trying to learn on what I have before I build an engine for a swap. I?m more than familiar with tuning carbureted engines, not professional; but I can definitely hold my own. I understand the effects of fuel and timing across an entire curve, I?ve held good conversations with professional engine tuners before. Not saying I?m a genius, but I?m definitely not hopeless. My problem is trying to trade in the Screwdrivers and wrenches for a keyboard and a mouse.

Where do I need to go to learn the ways of HP? I?ve been watching as many videos on YouTube as I can find. But I?m very much a hands on learner, and that is where I?m having an issue learning. So who has the best videos or online classes I can take? Im also located in NW Indiana if anyone knows of a brick and mortar shop that would be willing to teach
    Here is a good link for gen 3 stuff that should get you going. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...tricks-373848/
    Most classes you pay for just teach you the basic overview of what to do and what youre aiming for. You can get everything you need to know for free online if you search hard enough.
    Matt Sanford has some good videos on youtube as well.
    "I don't care how it runs as long as it chop chops at idle"