Thread: Pentastar Oil Pump Control Bypass

Potential Tuner

Pentastar Oil Pump Control Bypass

Hey all, is it possible to turn off/bypass the factory oil pump variable control in a 3.6? Or can I pull the pump, but leave the solenoid in the sump so the PCM still gets an on/off reading? Or just unplug the solenoid, let it throw a solenoid failure code, then turn off the CEL and reporting for that code?

Background: My project is a 3.6 Pentastar from a '14 300 in an NB Miata chassis under a 79 Fiat Spider. Right now, the oil pump appears to want to live in the same space as the rack and pinion. If I can switch to an external oil pump, I can fab up a new sump that will fit way better and not interfere with the rack at all. I'm going to be using a remote oil filter anyway, so I can plug up the oil gallery that would normally feed the filter housing. Plus, if I can get the pump out from the bottom of the block, I can lower the engine enough that I may not need to fab up a new intake to clear the hood.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Impasta; 02-01-2024 at 01:09 PM. Reason: new ideas

Tuner in Training
    I once had a similar thought process. But it was about re-locating the oil cooler which is under the intake manifold

So even with the Pan off, the pump itself is interfering?
    The FWD pan is far shorter than the RWD pan.
    Attached Images Attached Images