Thread: Throttle Angle Limit

Advanced Tuner

Throttle Angle Limit

Has anybody utilized this table before to control the TB blade to close for a certain RPM? I have adjusted this table like it shows in the picture and it does nothing. Am I missing something? My goal is to utilize a table like this to close the throttle at a set RPM before hitting the rev limiter. Is there a completely different table for this that I am overlooking or is there an additional table to this one, that needs to be adjusted to use it? Thanks guys
    tb angle.png

Advanced Tuner
    I believe that table only works if you enable "pedal follower mode". I have never done this, as I don't think it's wise to over-ride the entire torque control system (if that is even what it does). There are other ways to accomplish what you want to do. I've done this by adding an "LSPI Load Limit Max" of 0 before the fuel cut rev limiter. Others have done something similar using timing cuts at high rpm. I later learned that the temp based cutoffs (ECM25415) actually cut throttle and should be set below the fuel cut limit ECM2070. Some tuners didn't know this and had raised the temp limits above the hard fuel cut, which causes the violent possible-OPG-breaking limit.

Advanced Tuner
    So changing temp based limit should cut throttle and changing load for lspi should cut spark? I am definitely trying to avoid that hard limiter at all costs.. LOL. Any problem with changing both and cutting both at the same time?
    btw mike, took your advice with the timing stuff from the other forum. Car is seeing a good 17-18 degrees now at WOT. Worked like a charm!
    limiter.png
    limit.png
    Last edited by Pistol_91; 12-18-2023 at 12:39 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_91 View Post
    So changing temp based limit should cut throttle
    Yes, that's my understanding. I've set up several like that and I believe Roush even issued a TSB and cal update to make sure theirs work that way. You can test it by setting it to something real low like 2000 rpm and testing it at part throttle to confirm.

changing load for lspi should cut spark?
    No, the LSPI load limits cut throttle. It's a really cool feature in the Gen3 (and ecoboost) logic. You can limit load as a function of lots of stuff like octane, charge temp, and even ethanol content. Anyway, the "max" table will limit the load to that number regardless of all of those things, torque demand, wot start/end, etc.

Any problem with changing both and cutting both at the same time?
    I don't see why that would hurt anything, just redundant.

took your advice with the timing stuff from the other forum. Car is seeing a good 17-18 degrees now at WOT. Worked like a charm!
    Great news! I'd be interested to see what the power difference is.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok awesome. Yep, i will test both at a low range to see what it ends up doing. I think I will take it back to the same dyno in 2 or 3 weeks to see if there was any gains. Appreciate it.

Advanced Tuner
    Alright, back with the results. First try I set it up like in the first picture. Nothing happened. Car kept going like normal, air load and desired air load was normal.
    2nd picture is the 2nd set up I tried. Nothing happened until I hit 5k. It seems the Max LSPI did not effect anything but the base temperature cut off absolutely closed the throttle immediately.
    I would much rather prefer to limit via Load btw. Not sure why it did not work. Maybe another change is needed as well. I will investigate.
    run 1.png
    run 2.png

Advanced Tuner
    That’s odd, I’ve done that lspi max load limit on at least 4 cars and it’s worked every time. I wonder if one of the etc or other airflow limit switches is turned off.

Advanced Tuner
    Desired Air Mass Initialization switch is tuned off. Would that effect it?