Thread: Rotating compass

Potential Tuner

Rotating compass

I'm new to RR and so far very happy. I've come over from Dashware because I've moved from a i9 11gen Windows machine to a Mac Studio and DW doesn't support Macs. I've been using it for 3 days and can say I've already saved about 8 hours of work and waiting.

I'm looking for a template for a gauge that will show a compass needle always points straight up and the NSEW compass face rotates around. Is there one already existing or can someone give me some pointers on how to create this functionality, my guess is that it will have to be an Enhanced Display Object.

Thanks,
    Don

Advanced Tuner
    Something like this might work: Compass Rotating Directions.rro

It's not perfect and could probably use some touching up, but it seems to rotate as I would expect with 0 being north, 90 being east, 180 being south, and 270 being west.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you! That's pretty good! Did not expect the letters to rotate.

I was actually thinking of something like this graphic that rotated with a needle stationary, I would think this would be simpler than rotating the letters around the gage face.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    So I was just messing around this morning with RR and in the e-images section of things to add is an "aircraft compass", but alas it is only a static object...

Advanced Tuner
    After adding the E-Image of the Aircraft Compass, you can double click on it to bring up the Display Object Properties. If you select an Input Data File, set the Image Mode to "Data: Proportional", set the Field to "(Heading)" (or if you have a more accurate field for Heading/Bearing, you could use that), and finally change the Output Type to "Rotation", then it should rotate based on your current heading.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks! That's perfect. I edited the background and replaced it with the image I had uploaded and it now rotates properly and exactly what I was looking for. I've added a static needle pointing up and it gives the compass image I was looking for. Thank you for the help.