Thread: Strange logging things afoot

Potential Tuner

Strange logging things afoot

Noob here.

Short story: I E-Force supercharged my NA pro-tuned LS1, did the 2 bar OS upgrade, modded HPT per this vid: no start - it sometimes kicks off but dies, then just cranks until I power off and try again.

I'm seeing very strange things in VCM Scanner. Is it me?

3 log files attached. MAP sensor voltage is ALWAYS .80V, but sometimes reads 0 kPa, sometimes 20, sometimes 40. 40 seems correct based on voltage curve for my sensor, so wondering if MAP sensor is bad. Note that I added 2 bar MAP channel in the 2nd and 3rd logs.

23-11-18 10-46-40.hpl
    23-11-18 10-48-08.hpl
    23-11-18 10-49-50.hpl

This is the log of the first start - check out all the sensors counting up even though the car is just sitting there with ignition on... Hasn't done that since.

23-11-12 11-23-31.hpl

HPT in case that's needed - not asking for full diagnosis yet, which I know will require more details from me:

2023-11-10 LT-2barOS-1stMods.hpt

P0101-P0103 you have set to No MIL Light instead of MIL on First Error.

Is the MAP sensor pinned correctly? What is it? Does the MAP voltage PID respond as it should when sensor is unplugged, and then when signal is shorted to +5v? (diagrams show MAP signal pin in the PCM has a pulldown resistor, so it should go near 0v when unplugged)

DO NOT zero out the MAF table even when you do not have a MAF installed. It needs some fake numbers to use so it can chug long enough on the first start to flag the MAF as failed.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Is the MAP sensor pinned correctly?
    Well, I was sure it was, but when I went digging to prove it, I realized that I'd assumed that Edelbrock pinned their adapter harness correctly, and relied only on wire color. Pins 1 and 4 were swapped, so the ground circuit was getting current from the MAP circuit. It starts now. Manifold pressure is around 100kPA (1.92 V) with car off (I'm a mile from the Pacific Ocean).

I'm sure I'm the last person on earth installing this supercharger, but for posterity:

Bosch 0261230042 TMAP (MAP with integrated IAT).

Pins are numbered on the TMAP body and Edelbrock's adapter harness. If green wire on adapter harness is at pin 1, it needs to be swapped to pin 4, and orange wire swapped to pin 1. I could not de-pin it, had to hack it, and bought a replacement plug and connector on ebay because I cannot live knowing that hack job is under my hood.

MAP Data (rough - for reference)
    0.4V 20kpa
    4.65V 250kpa

Full specs and schematics are in this PDF (annotated by me with pin numbers): Bosch TMAP Specs.pdf

HPT config
    MAP linear: 268.9 kpa
    MAP offset: -1.65 kpa

I read that the stock LS1 IAT curve is close enough. I've not dug into that yet.
    Last edited by thesalboy; 11-21-2023 at 01:56 PM.

Potential Tuner
    P0101-P0103 you have set to No MIL Light instead of MIL on First Error.
    DO NOT zero out the MAF table even when you do not have a MAF installed. It needs some fake numbers to use so it can chug long enough on the first start to flag the MAF as failed.
    MAF settings are as they were from prior NA SD tune, but I went ahead and made these changes anyway. I used the stock 1998 LS1 MAF table.

Thanks very much for your help.
    Last edited by thesalboy; 11-21-2023 at 01:56 PM.