Thread: ECM/TCM engine, Classic car wiring replacement. What did you do?

Tuner in Training

ECM/TCM engine, Classic car wiring replacement. What did you do?

I have my 2019 GM 5.3 LT-680L trans going into my 55 Chevy. I'm finishing up the frame and drive train, and that got me wondering about wiring. Does everyone just get a generic harness and wire up what they need?

Most wiring harnesses are built for wiring up the engine and dash/instruments. With mine, the dash is running off the OBDII port (no instrument wires) the engine is; well ran off the harness, so that is a crap load of wires that would just be trimmed off. It's looking like I'll just get a fuse block for the AC, windows/locks, radio, and lights with a few extra for minor crap.

What ya running and what did you do?

Senior Tuner
    Post this in the GM v8 Gen5 section for help. This probably isn’t going to be as simple as you think.

Senior Tuner
    Or possibly the gen4 section, I’m not sure on what years the trucks changed.

Tuner in Training
    I don't need the engine harness, that's taken care of, I need to wire the rest of the entire car so engine or generation wouldn't matter.

Senior Tuner
    In that case, on my kit car swap, I used a thinned chassis harness with the stock fuse box and bcm handling the exterior lights and a eBay fuse box plus relays to power other accessories.