Thread: 8 pin Gen 3 to 6 pin LS3 Throttle Body Hardware Hack

Potential Tuner

8 pin Gen 3 to 6 pin LS3 Throttle Body Hardware Hack

Hey Tuners,

Like hundreds before, I ran into the learning curve of what it would take to successfully run a 4 bolt throttle body on a Gen 3.
    Nearly all the threads I have read come to the same conclusion: "buy an X-Link".

I looked at the differences between the 8 and 6 pin TB's, and decided to try a hardware hack in order to convert the 6 pin's signals into something the Gen 3 8 pin harness/PCM could use.
    The main idea was to cut a few traces inside the throttle position sensor, and add a couple jumpers where needed.

The initial test looks pretty promising, so I thought I'd share the details here.
    Bear in mind this is a brute-force, crude, filthy, shade-tree hack job, so this method won't win any beauty contests.

Before:
    Before.jpg

After:
    After.jpg

The only parts required are a 51k ohm resistor and a 6 pin pigtail.
    That makes the hack nearly free.

More details in the video. At the beginning of the vid I mistakenly called the throttle position sensor the "speed sensor", but you should get the idea

Cheers
    Last edited by mikkojay; 09-01-2023 at 08:29 PM.

i wish this was figured out a coup years ago i looked all over the inter webs because i didnt want to pay almost 300 4 x link .but i had to. i wouldnt try this to my nick williams tb .but got 3 other ones i might try this.and honestly there cant be much to the xlink to fig it out.cant believe no ones fig that out.but anyways this is awesome bro.your going to save some guys some cash with this hack.

Potential Tuner
    The hack work? I can?t play the video

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Hey Tuners,

Like hundreds before, I ran into the learning curve of what it would take to successfully run a 4 bolt throttle body on a Gen 3.
    Nearly all the threads I have read come to the same conclusion: "buy an X-Link".

I looked at the differences between the 8 and 6 pin TB's, and decided to try a hardware hack in order to convert the 6 pin's signals into something the Gen 3 8 pin harness/PCM could use.
    The main idea was to cut a few traces inside the throttle position sensor, and add a couple jumpers where needed.

The initial test looks pretty promising, so I thought I'd share the details here.
    Bear in mind this is a brute-force, crude, filthy, shade-tree hack job, so this method won't win any beauty contests.

Before:
    Before.jpg

After:
    After.jpg

More details in the video. At the beginning of the vid I mistakenly called the throttle position sensor the "speed sensor", but you should get the idea

Cheers
    can you fix the video
    ?

Potential Tuner
    Is somebody try this? Is it working? Can someone can explain the procedures? I have seen the video once, but now that i am ready to go, the video is no more available!!
    Tkx

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mart67 View Post
    Is somebody try this? Is it working? Can someone can explain the procedures? I have seen the video once, but now that i am ready to go, the video is no more available!!
    Tkx
    Xlink probably paid someone to take the video off. There's no reason it shouldn't be on here. Unless it didn't really work.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mart67 View Post
    Tkx
    Did you ever figure this out? I have an 06 2500 HD and I put a nw 103 tb on it. Have had nothing but problems with the x link and nw tb. I get codes all the time for tb. It throws me into limp mode. Have to clear codes. My wife put velcro on the back of my code scanner so I can stick it to the dash(that's how much I go into limp.mode) happens about once a day. When it's cold outside my truck is automatically in limp.mode when I start it up

Advanced Tuner
    I ended up converting a bunch of DBW trucks over to DBC to get rid of all the TB issues. Way cheaper too.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Hey Tuners,

Before:
    Before.jpg

After:
    After.jpg

Cheers
    Shouldn't you be able to add that resistor to the pigtail?