Thread: Hot starting issues after sitting a few minutes 2006 GTO e40 ecm

Tuner in Training

Hot starting issues after sitting a few minutes 2006 GTO e40 ecm

I have been having an issue with hot starts that I cannot for the life of me resolve.

The car has afr 220 heads, a torquer v2 cam, stock ls2 intake headers and ls3 injectors.

It starts well cold and starts just fine hot if you turn it off and then start it right back up. But after sitting for at least a few minutes or an hour while still hot/warm it will not start without cranking forever. Hot quick restart it will crank for just over a second before firing up. But after sitting I will have to crank it 3 or 4 times before it does eventually fire. I do have log files and a tune I can attach. It looks to be lean while cranking, atleast initally but does richen up after some cranking, not sure if that is just the sensor being after the header while cranking at lower rpm. Ive added alot of fuel in the tune without seeing that initial cranking richen.

I have added startup airflow, lowered and raised cranking VE, added to the lower row on my main VE table, changes cranking spark some, and played around with the Cranking FA multistage table. I am not really sure what else to try, once it is running it idles well, and drives overall good. Some bucking at slow speeds, but otherwise AFR's are pretty close. Looking for any advice, I am lost on this one!

Senior Tuner
    Quick thing to try is to bias more toward ECT than IAT. Airflow>General>Cylinder Charge Temperature.

As far as the bucking, a lot of that is because of the mismatch between idle spark and main spark.

Tuner
    You are catching vapor lock.

Your Pontiac doesn't like vanilla ice-cream
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Quick thing to try is to bias more toward ECT than IAT. Airflow>General>Cylinder Charge Temperature.

As far as the bucking, a lot of that is because of the mismatch between idle spark and main spark.
    Thank you! I haven't really gotten to fixing the bucking, but I bet that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by verlon View Post
    You are catching vapor lock.

Your Pontiac doesn't like vanilla ice-cream

I am really leaning towards vapor lock, seems to have the symptom just not really sure why it would have it. I'll take a look at all the lines and see if any are close to the headers or exhaust

Tuner in Training
    for the bucking: Should I make the base idle spark and the coastdown spark the same as the base high octane table?

I did kinda start over from scratch for the idle/startup tuning. I attached my latest log of a hot start after sitting, and the current tune. It is better, but it still struggles.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Was thinking more like this:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Thank you again, I will give that a shot and report back.

I did also try the charge temp bias change yesterday, and it didn't seem to have made a difference. I was inching up the startup airflow table after replacing it with the stock one, I think i was up 1.5 or 2g/s for the first couple of seconds at the warmer temps.

Tuner in Training
    I think I need to put the idle spark back close to stock, because it didn't seem to be happy cold with this table. But it also didn't fix the bucking issues, as spark was still oscillating at very low throttle at low rpms. I'm guessing it is the idle overspeed control cutting spark, but I don't want to eliminate that, not sure the best way to resolve.

Ive been trying more cutting startup fuel by lowering the cranking VE table, and adding air by the startup airflow table, but still having it start fine hot right after shutting down, and not after sitting for 10 minutes or an hour.

Senior Tuner
    I think the first thing you should do is make sure it builds and holds 58 psi of fuel pressure while cranking. If it doesn't it will have a hard start.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I think the first thing you should do is make sure it builds and holds 58 psi of fuel pressure while cranking. If it doesn't it will have a hard start.
    I did verify fuel pressure a couple days ago, was thinking the same thing.

Advanced Tuner
    I personally would not put advance similar on main tables and idle tables. It just takes ignition-based idle control away and makes engine sluggish when getting car rolling from the standing start.

If I recall right, a stock LS7 has 40 degrees of advance at those areas on high octane table. If you take it, say, 20 degrees the seven liter wonder is like tiny 2 litre engine.

Just my 2 cents.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pferris View Post
    I think I need to put the idle spark back close to stock, because it didn't seem to be happy cold with this table. But it also didn't fix the bucking issues..
    I agree.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles View Post
    I personally would not put advance similar on main tables and idle tables. It just takes ignition-based idle control away and makes engine sluggish when getting car rolling from the standing start.

If I recall right, a stock LS7 has 40 degrees of advance at those areas on high octane table. If you take it, say, 20 degrees the seven liter wonder is like tiny 2 litre engine.

Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, it seemed like cold it had too much timing and was not having it. Switched the base table back, and it seemed happier idling. Left the coast down the copied main spark table, and it hangs revs for sure while coasting down. It will hang at 1200rpm or so until I come to a stop and then it will drop to 800.

Even with both changed, it seems to be using the idle overspeed timing cut at very low throttle and still has the bucking. Is there a way to change the parameters at which the computer determines it is at idle and not throttle? I can't seem to find anything

First off you have a lot a things done that need to be undone. The first thing I would do is get your base running airflow correct. Your currently running lower then your stock settings. I would start out with stock and add 10% to start and go from there.
    Last edited by morepowerjoe; 06-14-2023 at 10:35 PM.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pferris View Post
    I did verify fuel pressure a couple days ago, was thinking the same thing.
    Have you already tried adding to the start up airflow tables? If the car is not starting I usually move it by 15% at least.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    First off you have a lot a things done that need to be undone. The first thing I would do is get your base running airflow correct. Your currently running lower then your stock settings. I would start out with stock and add 10% to start and go from there.
    I did have the base airflow table higher, then lowered it after making changes to the idle spark table because it was idling higher after. It is all at or above the stock numbers, just not by that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Have you already tried adding to the start up airflow tables? If the car is not starting I usually move it by 15% at least.
    I have added to startup airflow before, but I also changed other startup parameters quite a bit. Now it seems to start hot if i crank it for a little while feathering the gas. I'll keep adding a bit more and see how it goes.

Senior Tuner
    Keep the tuning simple and if you don't get a good effect modifying a table or do not understand it completely go back to stock.

The main airflow stuff is where the majority of the work is done.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com