Thread: Tuning Troubles (P061A) Failsafe

Potential Tuner

Tuning Troubles (P061A) Failsafe

Hello, I'm brand new to the community and brand new to this software and the whole tuning aspects. so, bear with me. I just finished up my project build with my father and we finally have it out on the road. here are some technical specs:

1968 Mustang Fastback
    2019 Gen 3 Coyote w/ 10r80 around 3k miles
    IMRC Removed/Locked out.
    Aftermarket 4" Diameter CAI (Stangaholics swap, found here https://www.stang-aholics.com/i-2487...ntake-kit.html)
    Mustangs to fear long tube headers 2.5"
    Aeromotive Stealth 2 tank supplying fuel to a fore regulator (60lbs)
    Cut down stock harness and ECU (PATS disabled) loaded the FRPP tune as a base.

Everything else is stock engine and trans wise.

We are running right most of the time, but randomly the car will go into failsafe. doesn't seem like a rhyme or reason when it does, I have driven it without getting on it at all and with hammering it down, all varied results. mostly ok but either way it may eventually go into failsafe. recently I've been getting a P061A code. it's the only code I have been able to read or see recently. last night i parked the car in failsafe, so i plan to run it tonight and see if any other DTC's throw. With that being said, my tuner and i both have been combing over some things and are coming up a little short with solutions. I have attached the current tune and also my recent log of a cleared ECU, then idle, then driving it normal and hard, then doing the same once it's in failsafe mode around (8:45p EST) then idle and some still rev. i was hoping someone here could give us some ideas or paths based off what they see. I'm hoping this is thorough enough. but will answer any questions that can help. there could be other codes, but i havnt been able to get any recently. we did have a problem in the past with P061B (wheel torque error?) but that was adjusted and has seemed to have gone away. I'm not sure if we missed something, or something is out of parameter with the new CAI (all research has led me in that direction, or throttle body)

We would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance. Below are my tune and log file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mu10tmustang; 06-07-2023 at 02:23 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    The way I tune out the IMRCs requires a lot of changes in the VCT, Spark and Torque Model to get it running the way I want it to run. There are many ways to tune it to at least get your car in a better running state.

This is not the correct way, but it should work in the meantime..
    Go to your IMRC tab and change IMRC Configuration cells all to 1. There be a lot of blending in your tune and parameters will be sporadic, but you can learn, adjust and get it running better.

I usually leave IMRC Config how you have it and completely disable mapped points 0-13 and adjust everything to run mapped points 14+.

Starting out, you should add Mapped Point Weight 0-25 to your channel list on the scanner. Once you get an understanding of how it works, you can free up space in the scanner and delete them. Add VCT Intake/Exhaust Phaser and VCT Schedule Mode.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    The way I tune out the IMRCs requires a lot of changes in the VCT, Spark and Torque Model to get it running the way I want it to run. There are many ways to tune it to at least get your car in a better running state.

This is not the correct way, but it should work in the meantime.
    Go to your IMRC tab and change IMRC Configuration cells all to 1. There be a lot of blending in your tune and parameters will be sporadic, but you can learn, adjust and get it running better.

I usually leave IMRC Config how you have it and completely disable mapped points 0-13 and adjust everything to run mapped points 14+.

Starting out, you should add Mapped Point Weight 0-25 to your channel list on the scanner. Once you get an understanding of how it works, you can free up space in the scanner and delete them. Add VCT Intake/Exhaust Phaser and VCT Schedule Mode.
    is this also comprehensive for the coyotes? https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...on-Information
    i also came across this that seems helpful: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...highlight=2019
    https://forum.hptuners.com/attachmen...8&d=1647266587

I can log those items tonight or tomorrow potentially and re-upload. I'm sharing this thread for my tuner to validate changes.
    I really appreciate you looking this over and suggesting something.
    Last edited by Mu10tmustang; 06-07-2023 at 02:31 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes those links would be better than my quick fix to get you out of limp mode.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Yes those links would be better than my quick fix to get you out of limp mode.
    Looking through the Tune, it appears the parameters are all already set to "1". there's no definitive guide for the gen3 yet it seems. so I'm a little stalled out here.