Thread: First time tuning HELP

Potential Tuner

Exclamation First time tuning HELP

Hey guys, working on building a tune for my 04 chevy silverado 4x4 4.8L btr truck norris cam .553 lift, 212/22X duration, 107.5 LSA, with .560 valve springs, seals, and chromoly push rods, long tube headers with cat delete, stock Y pipe to glasspack single tail pipe, throttle body spacer, edlebrock cold air intake+ignition wires.

Running 20 inch rims 33x12.50 Duratrax.
    3.73 gears
    aluminum drive shaft
    3" level kit

Ive done nothing but watch video after video on youtube and am slowly learning but would greatly appreciate any advice or tips on what is absolutely necessary for optimal yet safe performancep04 4.8 chevy tune 3.hpt

truck would run by itself when cold started after cam swap but die once started to warm up and needed throttle assistance to stay running.

so i bought a hp tuner and raised my idle base set point rpm, spark advance, underspeed spark,
    now with these minor adjustments truck idles a lot better but still seems to have a minor misfire almost like timing advance needs to be altered?

This is my first build, and my first time ever trying to tune as well. Any help be greatly appreciated.
    What else should i alter before taking it for a test drive?
    Today will be installing a AEM wideband afr gauge for accurate readings and doing some more research before i take it out for a drive.
    Last edited by amish204; 04-02-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you change to a 5.3L or keep the 4.8L?
    Disable COT in fuel since deleted CAT.

Add about 4g/s to idle airflow table gear and P/N. That should help. You may need to lower the idle spark 2-6* as you add the air to Base running airflow. Both work to increase torque lost from cam at idle.
    Over/under speed tables are pretty loose for this cam, reduce 30-50% below 100rpm error if idle oscillates.

Fuel tab, Turn off STFT in OL.
    You need to watch videos how to set up for OL, how to create histograms and set up tune for each fuel mode being calibrated. VE/SD mode and MAF mode as they must be tuned separately in Gen3.
    Good luck, I wish I could be more help but I am not available right now. This should set you in the right direction.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by amish204 View Post
    throttle body spacer...
    remove that and throw it away, completely useless and does nothing.
    tune.
    you bought hptuners, and now a wideband. For that price you probably can find a dyno in your area and have the truck tuned and be done with it.
    As a very beginner in this tuning world, itll take you a few months to understand everything and if this is the only vehicle you are doing, to me, my time is important, and learning hptuners for one vehicle maybe one time, is not worth it.
    I have had my hp for like 10 years. I play with it now and then in the shop, or currently redoing a tune on one of my own cars, and ive got like 3 weeks into the base tune of 1 vehicle.
    It is a big learning experience, and sometimes it’s a real pain in the @ss.

Just giving my experience.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    remove that and throw it away, completely useless and does nothing.
    you bought hptuners, and now a wideband. For that price you probably can find a dyno in your area and have the truck tuned and be done with it.
    As a very beginner in this tuning world, itll take you a few months to understand everything and if this is the only vehicle you are doing, to me, my time is important, and learning hptuners for one vehicle maybe one time, is not worth it.
    I have had my hp for like 10 years. I play with it now and then in the shop, or currently redoing a tune on one of my own cars, and ive got like 3 weeks into the base tune of 1 vehicle.
    It is a big learning experience, and sometimes it?s a real pain in the @ss.

Just giving my experience.
    hey i clearly stated in the post useful information please as your input didnt regard any questions about my tune thanks. im almost done my base tune after 3 days of non stop research and playing around. Funny how you say the spacer does nothing before i had it on this old girl couldnt turn my big tires in deep sticky snow in 4hi causing me to get stuck lots as i have a universal snowplow and enjoy playin in the snow. after bolting it on i had a big increase in low end torque and have no problem with bogging out in 2.5 feet of snow

Potential Tuner
    Left the 4.8 in while i rebuild and possibly stroke out the 5.3 i tore out of my parts truck.
    since posting i disabled COT,
    lowered over speed spark adv-10
    raised underrspeed +10
    rpm fuel cut off to 6500 (left shift points alone for now)

power enrichment throttle hot from 80 to 40 cold 80-45
    delay enrichment for rpm down from 5500-1200
    with 0 delay and 1.000 enrichment
    and disabled po420 and po430 and evap dtcs

really appreciate the helpful information. exactly what i was looking for. will post back in a couple days with an update thanks again

Read the manuals for Haltech, Megasquirt, Accel DFI, AEM, Motec
    Read how to tune carb and distributors

Once you understand mechanical operation, sensor and ECU config, the rest is just learning a new software like microsoft word or excel, thats all HPtuners is, just a software interface to the same platform as all the other ECU have, they all use the similar sensors and technology

Advanced Tuner
    Left the 4.8 in while i rebuild and possibly stroke out the 5.3 i tore out of my parts truck.
    since posting i disabled COT,
    raised underrspeed +10
    rpm fuel cut off to 6500 (left shift points alone for now)

power enrichment throttle hot from 80 to 40 cold 80-45
    delay enrichment for rpm down from 5500-1200
    with 0 delay and 1.000 enrichment
    and disabled po420 and po430 and evap dtcs

really appreciate the helpful information. exactly what i was looking for. will post back in a couple days with an update thanks again
    The engine, general tab your cylinder volume parameter is set up for a 5.3
    When you correct this for your 4.8 it's going to change your ve table if you've made any changes just be aware of that.
    Normally I set the PE high and tune from 4000 RPM and below for part throttle - 60% TPS and when done, tune PE from about 2,800 to Red line. That will help blend your part throttle into PE. If your part throttle is off when you go into PE, the ltft is added. You don't want to carry that over into PE/wot.
    Stay tuned,
    Hondaeater

Advanced Tuner
    raised underrspeed +10
    ... Put it back to where it was or make the numbers "smaller" than they were. If I understand you correctly from that quote, I think what you did was the opposite of the suggestion. You can put zeros in the entire table that would be a very tight control .... by allowing a little bit of timing flexibility (taking your old numbers and reducing them by 25%) you're allowing the natural lope of the cam some room to breathe yet controlled.

For tuning I usually disable all of that, turn off spark compensation. Turn off closed loop. Turn off DFCO. Turn off stall saver. Turn off or flatten the stoich target map if it isn't already.

The engine will run raw, untamed by compensations, now you can actually tune it fully to run smooth. Then it will be even more smooth with comps returned.