Thread: First drive on a 6.0 swap with lots of mods

Tuner in Training

First drive on a 6.0 swap with lots of mods

Hey all. I finally got my 1990 suburban with a 6.0/4l80e swap started for the first time last night. Took it on it's first drive this afternoon. List of drivetrain mods are as follows:

Engine:
    - 2002 6.0 short block
    - Truck Norris cam
    - 862 heads
    - TBSS cathedral port intake (not a truck intake)
    - 12679524 87mm throttle body with X-link
    - 12613412 50lb injectors
    - LS7 MAF in 4" tube with honeycomb straightener
    - Walbro 255 pump
    - Corvette filter/regulator
    - 40 gallons of 93 octane
    - new front O2 sensors, rears deleted
    - Stock style manifolds, dual 3" exhaust (stops after mufflers, will go all the way back eventually)

Trans:
    - 2002 4l80e
    - Jasper rebuild about 7k miles ago
    - stock converter

Harness/PCM:
    - 2005 Silverado 1500 PCM, harness, TAC, pedal, etc.

Based on a lot of searching, I made a few initial changes:
    - Scaled throttle body area
    - Updated injector data
    - Corrected IAT for LS7 MAF
    - Lowered stoich to 14.1
    - lowered cranking VE by 10%
    - Raised idle spark advance to 21 degrees and smoothed
    - Lowered over/underspeed adaptive idle tables by 50%
    - Requisite swap DTC purge

It starts, runs, and drives but I obviously have a long way to go. I'm currently running speed density only because I haven't found a good source for LS7 MAF data yet, and I want to get the VE tune done first.

I took a few logs today and I don't think they provide a good consensus on fuel trims. Maybe they're just too far out of whack?

TL;DR

Would someone mind giving this a review and recommend next steps/ point out any errors I'm making? I'm still early in the learning process.

2023.02.20 - Suburban working tune after injector, MAF, VATS, DTCs, etc.hpt
    2023.02.21 - 1 Cold start no changes from last night.hpl
    2023.02.21 - 2 Drive to get gas.hpl
    2023.02.21 - 3 Backroads cruise.hpl
    2023.02.21 - 4 Some highway.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Here's one that I modified to get your VE table a bit closer to where it needs to be. I also disabled Torque Management.
    2023.02.20 - Suburban working tune after injector, MAF, VATS, DTCs, no TM.hpt

Tuner in Training
    That's quite a few changes compared to my posted tune. I can make sense of some of it but I'll need to do some research on the rest of it to understand what's going on. Still learning what I don't know! I'm glad to see you didn't have to fix anything that I changed already.

Given your reputation around here, I have no issues with loading the tune up and logging some miles.

Do you recommend I stay below any RPM, TPS%, etc. to keep it safe while I'm getting the next logs? I see that you changed the PE tables which should keep me from going lean while logging. Will this cause any issues with getting my VE table accurately characterized?

Tuner in Training
    I drove the suburban to work (about 13 miles of mostly highway) on the new tune. It seemed to idle quieter and run better overall. I haven't had the chance to review the log yet.

At least for now, I assume getting the VE table dialed in is my main goal. I'll try to make some changes before the drive home and report back.

2023.02.22 - Idle warm up and drive to work.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Alright, two more drives down but no tune changes. Looks like I can remove quite a bit of fuel at mid load and low-mid rpm.

Anyone have any ideas on why it's still targeting 14.68 after I lowered the target AFR to 14.12?

Also, this swap already SMOKES my expectations compared to the TBI 350 and NV3500 I had in there before.

2023.02.22 - drive home mostly highway.hpl
    2023.02.22 - backroads and city cruise.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by marmstrong View Post
    Alright, two more drives down but no tune changes. Looks like I can remove quite a bit of fuel at mid load and low-mid rpm.

Anyone have any ideas on why it's still targeting 14.68 after I lowered the target AFR to 14.12?

Also, this swap already SMOKES my expectations compared to the TBI 350 and NV3500 I had in there before.

2023.02.22 - drive home mostly highway.hpl
    2023.02.22 - backroads and city cruise.hpl
    It's looking pretty good. It's definitely too rich. Load this revision. It'll get the VE table a lot closer for you. I wouldn't be afraid to get a couple short WOT runs at this point.
    It's actually targeting 14.12 in the datalog.

2023.02.20 - Suburban working tune after injector, MAF, VATS, DTCs, no TM 2.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Got some time to work on the Suburban today. Mostly mechanical stuff and putting the interior back together.

I did more reading up on tuning with a wideband. I moved to doing OL VE tuning and took a log this evening based on kevin87turbot's last tune file. Feeling a lot more confident about the process now. I also know that I'll be using the stock MAF tables and modifying from there doing OL MAF tuning.

As far as my commanded vs. actual AFR issue... I realized it was my wideband not having a 14.1 option so I was always seeing a difference. My solution was to just move everything over to lambda. It's probably best to learn now before it gets any harder.

I'll jump back in here with any questions that come up. Hopefully in a week or two I'll be into timing and idle tuning. I'd like to get this thing very quite and smooth.

Thanks for the help so far!!