Thread: tune file for LS1 swapped into a 05 tahoe

Tuner in Training

tune file for LS1 swapped into a 05 tahoe

Hi guys, I know I will flamed and I know that I need to get my car tuned, but I need at least a starting point. my 05 tahoe engine seized up and since I got that '99 LS1 laying around for years I decided to just slam it in, using all the 5.3 pieces (intake, sensors, exhaust manifolds ..etc), the truck running beautifully and idles fine and smooth, except that its way lean (of course) .. so I thought someone should have done the same and is welling to share his tune file. anyone?

Senior Tuner
    Why would it automatically be way lean? Do you have a log file showing high fuel trims? Even then it would still be running at stioch in closed loop just with some fuel correction. Just changing the cyl displacement in the calibration will adjust the VE table.

My wild ass random guess is injectors were not the same between an 05 Tahoe and the 99.

Senior Tuner
    I thought he said he used all the 5.3 pieces, intake, sensors, manifolds. Without more details or a tune file and logs who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    I thought he said he used all the 5.3 pieces, intake, sensors, manifolds. Without more details or a tune file and logs who knows.
    Missed that. Guess it's time for a smoke machine test?

Advanced Tuner
    Or post the tune and datalog

Tuner in Training
    Thanks all, here is the tune file and a data log driving around the block with some WOT, I feel the truck has low power compared to be a 5.7 V8 engine, it should pull WAY stronger! .. please tell me what you think.

Thanks guys!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamaro View Post
    Thanks all, here is the tune file and a data log driving around the block with some WOT, I feel the truck has low power compared to be a 5.7 V8 engine, it should pull WAY stronger! .. please tell me what you think.

Thanks guys!
    You are seriously underestimating the power difference between a 5.3 and the 5.7L using all truck parts. A stock 5.7L with truck parts will only make a little more power than a stock 5.3L. 99 5.7L has a weak cam in it especially for a heavy truck.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    You are seriously underestimating the power difference between a 5.3 and the 5.7L using all truck parts. A stock 5.7L with truck parts will only make a little more power than a stock 5.3L. 99 5.7L has a weak cam in it especially for a heavy truck.
    I meant the truck has almost the same power as the stock 130HP 2F 6 cyl. engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Whats the fuel pressure?

Advanced Tuner
    Also your timing is really low at WOT.. This thing is going to feel like a turtle with 6* timing. anything more than .6 on airmass your in single digits timing.
    oxygen sensors show its probably lean.
    See its picking up some missfires as well.

Senior Tuner
    It really looks like it has a ton left in the tune.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    It really looks like it has a ton left in the tune.
    I have not loooked at the tune to make certain the cylinder volume was adjusted. That being said I did look when he went WOT. I notice several sensor readings looked out to lunch and no speedo. The RPM was also extremely slow to climb, almost looked as if the transmission was in failsafe mode.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    I have not loooked at the tune to make certain the cylinder volume was adjusted. That being said I did look when he went WOT. I notice several sensor readings looked out to lunch and no speedo. The RPM was also extremely slow to climb, almost looked as if the transmission was in failsafe mode.
    I assume its a swap.. probably a landcruiser judging by his file names. I'll bet its a manual and just hasn't been setup right.

Point I was making is not to be discouraged by power.. The tune is missing so much.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Few spots i saw had 6-8* timing at WOT and oxygen sensors showed high 900s.

Tuner in Training
    I failed to be more clear. Its a Toyota FJ40 that has a 5.7 LS1 long block with all other components from a '05 Tahoe, including the PCM. It has the stock Toyota 5 speed manual gear, and I did not connect the VSS input yet, thats why it died a few times when I come to a stop. I also noticed the very low timing sometimes, but since the stock PCM has never been tuned (has the stock factory tune) why on earth does the factory tune got the timing so low on WOT?

Advanced Tuner
    Your running a 5.7 on a 5.3 tune.
    Your also running a manual transmission with auto trans tune without a VSS.
    If you look at your base spark in park/neutral i bet you find your low timing answer.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamaro View Post
    I failed to be more clear. Its a Toyota FJ40 that has a 5.7 LS1 long block with all other components from a '05 Tahoe, including the PCM. It has the stock Toyota 5 speed manual gear, and I did not connect the VSS input yet, thats why it died a few times when I come to a stop. I also noticed the very low timing sometimes, but since the stock PCM has never been tuned (has the stock factory tune) why on earth does the factory tune got the timing so low on WOT?
    Because the 5.7L is moving more air and pushing the spark map into higher cylinder air load ranges. Even bolt ons will push the cylinder air numbers higher, retarding the timing.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a stock 2002 camaro LS1 tune if you want to do a compare and check out the differences.
    Attached Files Attached Files