Thread: Need help tuning idle on 5.3 (surging, dipping)

Potential Tuner

Need help tuning idle on 5.3 (surging, dipping)

Hey all having an issue with the idle likes to surge, and dip when clutching in or hang once and awhile until i come to a stop. watched a ton of youtube videos tried tricks with the timing doesn't seem to take care of the issue. Just wondering if somebody can take a look.

Had this car "tuned" by a tuner, decided to get a wideband and HP tuners to try and tune it myself. runs good for the most part, idle is my problem area now. I feel the VE table also needs more work judging by the fuel trims. Would love for somebody to chime in on what they see.

5.3 swapped into fox body.
    LS6 intake
    headers
    nick williams TB
    bald eagle NA cam
    SD only
    6 speed trans

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by junkbox85; 10-16-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Senior Tuner
    The problem is your throttle body isn't returning to 0.0% TPS. Without the TPS % very low it will not be in idle "mode". There will be no idle adaptive spark or IAC trimming. It is when the TPS is stuck at >0% in your log that it starts surging.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    I did notice that awhile back i thought it was normal for DBC not to return to flat 0% on the TPS. The throttle body i bought was second hand off facebook, although a reputable brand should i be looking at it? The TPS is new. Thanks for your input

Senior Tuner
    Are you sure it's a nick williams?

His normally don't have that issue.

you can check for fit between the sensor and the D shaft that drives it. If there is slop you can wrap the shaft with tape.

The blade should rest on the throttle stop and not the bore.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Looks just like it. Should be lol. But i will check what you said.

Thanks again

Potential Tuner
    Had some time to play with it today. I do notice what you are talking about, it'll jump from 0.0 to 0.4 and i've even seen 0.8. Normally does not return to 0 though, i played with the throttle cable and tried wrapping the shaft in tape. No dice.
    e
    It'll read 0 with the car off and return to zero almost everytime with the car off, but with it running it'll go to .4-.8

Had a spare TPS in my trunk same thing. Am i dealing with an interference issue or an issue with the throttle body itself?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by junkbox85 View Post
    Had some time to play with it today. I do notice what you are talking about, it'll jump from 0.0 to 0.4 and i've even seen 0.8. Normally does not return to 0 though, i played with the throttle cable and tried wrapping the shaft in tape. No dice.
    e
    It'll read 0 with the car off and return to zero almost everytime with the car off, but with it running it'll go to .4-.8

Had a spare TPS in my trunk same thing. Am i dealing with an interference issue or an issue with the throttle body itself?

The blade may be physically sticking.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com