Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC1 Wideband logging through EGR works now!

Tuner

LC1 Wideband logging through EGR works now!

I kept having problems and couldn't figure it out but after more reading and more thought, it finally hit me and was common sense why it wouldn't work. I've got analog wire #2 to the brown wire on the EGR harness, and the system and analog grounds to the engine ground strap. In the table, you have to log EGR voltage, the custom EGR wideband PID, AFR error, and AFR commanded. The PID I had to use was ([PID.2811/.6333])+10. It's working great and after about 45 minutes of tuning I already almost have the MAF calibrated. I'm loving it and the car is running WAY better. Before it was running at 9.8-10.2 AFR on a 13.8 commanded AFR. I had it commanded so lean before because I was trying to lean it out w/o using the MAF). Now I've got it at 12.9ish AFR with a commanded of 13.1. A few more small changes and it'll be good to go.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    [email protected], 1.65 60'
    7.91@85 1/8th
    Abbott Racing Heads and Engines

Advanced Tuner
    TTT for some good info
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro
    Goal: 10.99 in the 1/4
    Goal: 100 MPH (completed)

Best Dyno: 456 RWHP and 509 RWTQ
    Best: 1/4 mile 11.23 20 PSI
    Best1/8: 7.18 @ 99 1.83, 60 foot 20 PSI

Advanced Tuner
    so how are you recalibrating the maf?
    afr error % and paste special?

Advanced Tuner
    maf error and paste speacila
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro
    Goal: 10.99 in the 1/4
    Goal: 100 MPH (completed)

Best Dyno: 456 RWHP and 509 RWTQ
    Best: 1/4 mile 11.23 20 PSI
    Best1/8: 7.18 @ 99 1.83, 60 foot 20 PSI

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WickEdSix98
    I kept having problems and couldn't figure it out but after more reading and more thought, it finally hit me and was common sense why it wouldn't work. I've got analog wire #2 to the brown wire on the EGR harness, and the system and analog grounds to the engine ground strap. In the table, you have to log EGR voltage, the custom EGR wideband PID, AFR error, and AFR commanded. The PID I had to use was ([PID.2811/.6333])+10. It's working great and after about 45 minutes of tuning I already almost have the MAF calibrated. I'm loving it and the car is running WAY better. Before it was running at 9.8-10.2 AFR on a 13.8 commanded AFR. I had it commanded so lean before because I was trying to lean it out w/o using the MAF). Now I've got it at 12.9ish AFR with a commanded of 13.1. A few more small changes and it'll be good to go.

Ok, I did all this. I still get 0 for the custom PID reading. I do see that the EGR position voltage is 2.72 (in HPtuners) volts and it does move a little during idle. ...

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by L1nxs
    Ok, I did all this. I still get 0 for the custom PID reading. I do see that the EGR position voltage is 2.72 (in HPtuners) volts and it does move a little during idle. ...

What am I missing?
    Is your WB output going to the EGR input into the PCM? IE: the WB output is not going to the EGR itself and you are not mixing the EGR and WB signals. Regardless, if you are seeing something for EGR voltage your custom PID should show something as well since your AFR custom PID should only be using the EGR PID. So you have both PIDs in the table and the custom one shows zero? Can you send a screenshot of your custom PID?
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner
    The WB should ALWAYS show atleast 10 because in the custom PID you're modifying the voltage readout then adding 10. ([PID.2811/.6333])+10
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    7.91@85 1/8th

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    Is your WB output going to the EGR input into the PCM? IE: the WB output is not going to the EGR itself and you are not mixing the EGR and WB signals. Regardless, if you are seeing something for EGR voltage your custom PID should show something as well since your AFR custom PID should only be using the EGR PID. So you have both PIDs in the table and the custom one shows zero? Can you send a screenshot of your custom PID?

Yes I have the brown lead from the WB going to the plug for the EGR. Hooked up per the post above....

Tuner in Training
    update, I finally see a reading on "My A/F" custom pid. However it never moves from 13.XX. The EGR voltage is 02.74 steady. I know i must be missing something stupid......

Your brackets are in the wrong place for the EGR PID. Try this:

[PID.2811]/.5+10 No need for parentheses. I'm not sure where the .633 that Wicked is using came from but the equation goes like this:

volts / (voltage range/Device range) + (Minimum value of device range)=AFR

This breaks down as follows:
    Volts= Incoming voltage reading, typically between 0-5 VDC.
    Voltage Range= Range of sensor, typically 5
    Device Range= Range of AFR that your instrument is set to read. For example if you setup your LC-1 to read 10-20 AFR, then the range would be 10, the AEM ready 10-20.
    Min. device range= Lowest AFR reading of device. In the example above it is 10.

Using the numbers above, the formula would read as follows:
    EGR volts/(5/10)+10
    or
    volts/(.5) +10

Therefore if you have a volt reading of 2.5 volts, this should translate into an AFR of 15.
    (2.5/.5)+10=15. If your AEM gauge or LCx Logworks is displaying a different AFR then HPT play with the +10. I ended up using +9.8

Got this here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&highlight=egr

Also, if your WB is hooked into the EGR input into the PCM then it should not be steady, something sounds like it is wired wrong. Disconnect the WB and make sure the EGR signal goes to 0.
    Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 12-31-2006 at 11:41 AM.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    Your brackets are in the wrong place for the EGR PID. Try this:

[PID.2811]/.5+10 No need for parentheses. I'm not sure where the .633 that Wicked is using came from but the equation goes like this:

volts / (voltage range/Device range) + (Minimum value of device range)=AFR

This breaks down as follows:
    Volts= Incoming voltage reading, typically between 0-5 VDC.
    Voltage Range= Range of sensor, typically 5
    Device Range= Range of AFR that your instrument is set to read. For example if you setup your LC-1 to read 10-20 AFR, then the range would be 10, the AEM ready 10-20.
    Min. device range= Lowest AFR reading of device. In the example above it is 10.

Using the numbers above, the formula would read as follows:
    EGR volts/(5/10)+10
    or
    volts/(.5) +10

Therefore if you have a volt reading of 2.5 volts, this should translate into an AFR of 15.
    (2.5/.5)+10=15. If your AEM gauge or LCx Logworks is displaying a different AFR then HPT play with the +10. I ended up using +9.8

Got this here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&highlight=egr

Also, if your WB is hooked into the EGR input into the PCM then it should not be steady, something sounds like it is wired wrong. Disconnect the WB and make sure the EGR signal goes to 0.
    My device range was 8, mine of 10, max of 18 so thats why mine was different. But when I saw the original formula you posted, i just started with .5 and worked up from there.
    Last edited by WickEdSix98; 01-02-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    7.91@85 1/8th

Tuner in Training
    i know this is old but the paper that came with my LC-1 has the info needed for the PID

0 volts= 7.35 AFR
    5 volts =22.39 AFR
    so range = 15.04

so you get
    PID.2811/(5/15.04)+7.35
    98 Grand Prix gtp
    mods: 1.9rr, slp headers and cat back, Gen V, ZZP S2 IC, ls1 tb, LQ4, timing gauge, bunch of other fun toys

zacknhs, on the LC1 the range is programable so it can be anything. I have mine to read between 10 afr and 18 afr. So my range is 8.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Tuner in Training
    hey my egr harness has 2 brown 2 grey and a red wire. i know it's supposed to be the brown wire to hook up to the egr signal but which one? dose it just split to make the connection double secure or what?
    98 Grand Prix gtp
    mods: 1.9rr, slp headers and cat back, Gen V, ZZP S2 IC, ls1 tb, LQ4, timing gauge, bunch of other fun toys

According to the schematic for the EGR, if the wires are in the following order:
    RED = EGR Valve Low
    GRAY = EGR Valve Ignition Positive Voltage
    BROWN = EGR Pintle Position Signal
    BROWN = Sensor Ground
    GRAY = 5 Volt Reference

In this case, I suspect you are looking for the second brown and gray for a 5V/Ground for your reference points for your WB02.
    2002 Trans Am Firehawk Canadian #C029
    SLP DD Bolt-on Subframe Connectors; SLP Loudmouth Exhaust; SLP Bellows; Hotchkis Strut Brace; Powerslot rotors and Hawk Performance Brake Pads; Lou's Short Stick; !TCS; !CAGS; HP Tuners Programming

Senior Tuner
    When I did this I had the wrong brown wire at first and my scan was INVERTED!! If you connect to the wrong brown one, you'll know right away. If your scan is all "FUBAR'D" then just connect to the other brown one and you shaould have it!
    Last edited by MMGT1; 10-07-2007 at 07:45 AM.

I suspect that if you are connected to the pintle position signal brown wire, that would make for one interesting log.
    2002 Trans Am Firehawk Canadian #C029
    SLP DD Bolt-on Subframe Connectors; SLP Loudmouth Exhaust; SLP Bellows; Hotchkis Strut Brace; Powerslot rotors and Hawk Performance Brake Pads; Lou's Short Stick; !TCS; !CAGS; HP Tuners Programming

Tuner in Training
    so i hooked up the WB02 and it doesn't work. on the table it keeps reading 7.35 which would mean that there is 0 volts going to the egr. i hooked up out put from the LC-1 to the brown wire. that didn't work. so i tried the other it didn't work. is there something else i should be doing. i'm going to attach the config file that i tried.
    98 Grand Prix gtp

Senior Tuner
    once "patched into" your EGR are you unpluging it?

Tuner in Training
    i don't have a egr. it's been off for about 2 years now. do i need to have it there for the reference and ground maybe? i'm getting voltage from the LC-1 but i can't read it in HPtuners. it always says 0V the egr is set to enable at -40 deg. so it should be working. also the config i posted dosn't have me logging egr voltage which i did on my new one but it still doesn't work.
    98 Grand Prix gtp