Thread: The problem with having an awesome tunning package like HPTuners.....

Advanced Tuner

The problem with having an awesome tunning package like HPTuners.....

OK, so I built this new 402 engine on my back in the garage. I fired it for the first time and almost puked. It ran like total ass. In the old days, I would have played with the distributor and the carb and tried to dial it in. I would have failed and taken it apart to find out what is wrong.

Fast forward to the present. Computer controlled everything and the internet. I read (not the same as seeing it in person) a bunch about all the things that people said after firing a new engine. Some run and some don't. You need tunning software. Order the tuning software and try to solve all of your problems. I fought with it and read and asked questions and looked at how-to guides and learned and learned. I was actually able to get it to idle smooth and accelerate well. No snap crackle or pop anymore. It wasn't until I took a trip to the dyno that I realized that something was horribly wrong. Asked alot of questions and posted on different forums. I was told that my problem was mechanical and reluctanly pulled the front of the motor apart. It was then that I fianlly found my problem. The cam was one full tooth out. Holy shiit. This software actually allowed me to tune a cam out one tooth (I was told that is like 14* to 22* off) to were it felt "normal".

This explains some of the anomalies that I was seeing while tuning. I didn't get it back together until late last night so I hope to start scanning and tunning this evening. I can't wait.

Much props to the HP Tuner guys that can make software that is so adjustable that you can even cover up a major assembly error.
    98 Z28 370 LQ9 w/ TH350, FTI 4800 Stall, OLSD, NW90 TB, 80# Motron Inj, AFR 225's, 231/231 .624/.624 114, Mamofied FAST 90 Intake, PT88 Front Mount w/ 4" DP dumped before the Strange S60 w/ a 3.73 gear

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    lol glad you figured out what the problem was...cant wait to hear how much you end up gaining from this.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

That's great. Glad to hear everything is good now. Amazing, how you could even run the car with that issue......

Another problem with this software, is it's hard to go without it for any length of time! Constantly scanning & changing parameters. Waiting for upgrades is painful...LOL
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by xonelith
    That's great. Glad to hear everything is good now. Amazing, how you could even run the car with that issue......

Another problem with this software, is it's hard to go without it for any length of time! Constantly scanning & changing parameters. Waiting for upgrades is painful...LOL
    I felt your pain

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by xonelith

Yeah, now I find myself scanning my buddies GM cars, just because I can.
    98 Z28 370 LQ9 w/ TH350, FTI 4800 Stall, OLSD, NW90 TB, 80# Motron Inj, AFR 225's, 231/231 .624/.624 114, Mamofied FAST 90 Intake, PT88 Front Mount w/ 4" DP dumped before the Strange S60 w/ a 3.73 gear

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    I felt your pain
    I can't wait to say the past tense of feel I didn't realize how much I use the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LosLS2
    Yeah, now I find myself scanning my buddies GM cars, just because I can.
    Ya, I've been doing the same....pretty soon we'll be scanning our buddies Ford's and Dodges!!
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Advanced Tuner
    Well let me tell you my experience I just gained in the last 5 days....

I have joined the V8 swap crowd officially. I have owned HPT now since day one with V8 support to Fbody 02 and Silverado 03.. The Fbody was wrecked, the 03 was under warrantty, so no need to tune those. Been messing with the 3800SC V6's for the past 4 years, but finally doing it right with them since HPT.

Here we are 4-8-06... I installed an LS6 swap to a 2001 Grand Prix mounted on a 4T65eHD transversely... YES, transverse.... it finally started on the 8th after about 7 months of major work building adapter plates, flexplates, and several other custom pieces...

You Like ??????

So, I start with a 2002 Camaro SS file in the PCM. I flash this with SPS and my tech 2 so its the latest and greatest (yeah right).... I try to start the engine and it fires on the first key on... Wow, that beats a carb job anytime. It dies however in 15 seconds... I already know its the VATs so back to HPT to kill VAT.. 2nd key on start and its pops right to life and idles pretty good for 38 lb injectors on a pure stock tune on the PCM.

I thank Ken, Kieth, and Chris for all the hard work with HPT.

My other point to this posting is the differences in the V6 and V8 parameters. My gosh I am lost in the V8 tables. There are so many...

If anyone has a tune in .BIN for the following type of engine build...

383 cu in
    38lb injectors
    Ls6 intake
    SLP 85mm MAF
    mild lift cam at .581
    Stage 2 heads

I would be willing to front you some money for the tune. I have a dyno session in about 10 days, but I want to drive this thing a little before then. So far I have went 1 whole mile... its snaps the tires loose at any speed only to 1/2 throttle...

Loyde

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    looks grea loyde..i sent you a pm

I really like what you did. Amazing how you crammed that in there! There's a post on GrandAmGT about this build... was wondering who braved this task.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60839
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Can I just say WOW!

Nice job Loyde!

Want to do a Colorado/Canyon swap??? Not a sidewinder but fun anyway!

EC
    Last edited by EC_Tune; 04-13-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Nice job Loyde

Is it me? or can i still see some room on top for a blower?

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Can I just say WOW!

Nice job Lloyde!

Want to do a Colorado/Canyon swap??? Not a sidewinder but fun anyway!

EC
    I have done a few north/south conversions in my life... Remember the Don Hardy V8 Vega kits? He only lived 60 miles from my house back then. That was a fun car back then.

Loyde

Awesome (both stories!)

I just want to know if it was 1 tooth advanced or retarded??

Advanced Tuner
    The cam gear was one tooth past the dot on the crank gear going clockwise. I think that is advanced 1 tooth but not sure.