Thread: Maximum Knock Retard

Maximum Knock Retard

I have a quick about this setting. On the 2.0 lsj cobalt ecu's there is a setting called "Maximum knock retard". What exactly is this setting and how does it work.

For example lets say you have it set at 3 degrees of kr at wot at 5k rpms. If it hits 3 degrees, what happens? Does the car pull timing or what? I don't know much about it, but it seems like having it set at 8 degrees at wot is a bit high.

I am just going through all of my "safety" parameters and making sure its setup the way I want. Thanks for the help guys.

PS: I have zero knock retard on e85 no matter what degree of timing I run, but I still want to have this table setup properly and know/learn how it works.

Tuner in Training
    knock retard IS the measure of how much timing is being pulled becasue of knock. So maxiimum knock retard is the maximum timing that will be pulled. To my knowledge there is no measure of actual detonation of "knock" in the vcm just the timing that is pulled.
    2006 Pontiac solstice L2.4 LE5 LSJ Throttle body (larger), AEM CAIntake, Cat Delete, Newb tuner

Advanced Tuner
    I'm going to guess that it would throw you into limp home mode and give you the code for excessive knock.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Advanced Tuner
    it means that once the car has reached that threshold of X*'s of timing reduction your car begins to knock in real life.

The audible knock sensors are reporting knock and your ECM is no longer commanding retard.

*click, click, boom*

Tuner in Training
    So its probably a good idea to leave those tables alone (Max Knock Retard)
    and just zero out the (Burst Knock "Enable Cyl Air, and vs RPM)
    right?
    Then you eliminate the calculated knock but keep its ability to pull timing for real knock?
    1999 Trans Am 12.96 1/4 Mile

Potential Tuner
    hi i dont know if im the only one with this problem but my hp tuner does not read kr is there a reason why that is???

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamulski2019 View Post
    hi i dont know if im the only one with this problem but my hp tuner does not read kr is there a reason why that is???
    Has your knock been desensitized? Put the knock values to stock and see what happens.