Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38/E67 Full flashing warning

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

E38/E67 Full flashing warning

A couple of customers have reported that after flashing their E38 pcm with a newer or older operating system have corrupted their pcm's NVRAM. From the best we can gather GM made at least two different E38 pcm's and when you try to flash in an incompatible operating system it will lock you out similar to tunerlocking.

Because this is not an HPTuners related issue we will not offer replacement credits or pcm.

Our recommendation is to simply not try and mix & match operating systems into these pcm's as doing so is simply too costly.

Easy way to tell if this is the issue is to grab an infolog while connected to the vehicle, if the vcm id number looks garbled the nvram is corrupt as shown in the attachment

Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 09-04-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Okay, now you got me worried. I'm just getting into tuning and have The Tuning School basic and advanced courses and was looking forward to using the HPT custom OS for my '07 TT vette to get a bigger MAF table and an old style VE table among other things. Are you now saying I might toast the pcm if I do?

BJK
    Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 03-11-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    APS TT 630 rwhp/654 rwtq @ 9 psi
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Custom os has been tested on our end to work as its specific to your operating system meaning all we do is take YOUR operating system & modify the code slightly. Its if you are going from a 09 operating system to a pcm built in 07 and vice versa that you should NOT be doing.

We've had a few tunershops doing bench tuning that buy these older pcm's real cheap and then think they can flash in newer os's and are toasting these pcm's which is the reason for the post mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Custom os has been tested on our end to work as its specific to your operating system meaning all we do is take YOUR operating system & modify the code slightly. Its if you are going from a 09 operating system to a pcm built in 07 and vice versa that you should NOT be doing.

We've had a few tunershops doing bench tuning that buy these older pcm's real cheap and then think they can flash in newer os's and are toasting these pcm's which is the reason for the post mainly.
    Alright, I fully understand now and already knew that. That's pretty straight forward to anyone that knows much about electronics. Makes me wonder about the qualifications of people who are dumb enough to try that.

BJK
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp View Post
    Alright, I fully understand now and already knew that. That's pretty straight forward to anyone that knows much about electronics. Makes me wonder about the qualifications of people who are dumb enough to try that.

BJK
    The thing is LS1's were very forgiving, people have been flashing back & forth between os's for years without issue, LS2's are a good bit different and most don't think about the consequences until its already too late.

The thing is LS1's were very forgiving, people have been flashing back & forth between os's for years without issue, LS2's are a good bit different and most don't think about the consequences until its already too late.
    Okay, maybe they're not so dumb after all. More like they didn't think it thru and got burned for ASSuming to much.

BJK

Good info Bill.

For the ECM's, I want to say that from 2008 and older are all compatible with each other, but not for 09-10. The 2009-2010 units are different and only can be used for 2009-10. Not 100% sure on this info, but so far no issues sticking with these rules.

On the TCM's, I want to say all A6 controllers for all years are compatible, but do not hold me to it.

Mike Norris
    Mike Norris Motorsports
    660 Andico Road
    Unit D
    Plainfield, IN 46168
    407-616-2518
    www.mikenorrismotorsports.com
    [email protected]

Tuner
    If they have the save service part number on the PCM/TCM they should be compatible, right? I am using a PCM from an Impala and TCM from an HHR in my GMT900 after I had the factory GMT900 tune loaded into them.

Advanced Tuner
    I would give my left nut if someone could put an 09 os on my 06 pcm

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
    I would give my left nut if someone could put an 09 os on my 06 pcm
    Cant use an 09 ECM?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by redheartbeat View Post
    If they have the save service part number on the PCM/TCM they should be compatible, right? I am using a PCM from an Impala and TCM from an HHR in my GMT900 after I had the factory GMT900 tune loaded into them.
    Yes .

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    To add to this guys when the NVRAM gets messed up one of the first & easiest signs to recognize is the vcm id number looking screwy like ýÎ{û?91?¦Ñx4 or similar rather than normal letters & numbers.

Advanced Tuner
    To add to this guys when the NVRAM gets messed up one of the first & easiest signs to recognize is the vcm id number looking screwy like ýÎ{û?91?¦Ñx4 or similar rather than normal letters & numbers.
    And if you see the VCM ID looking like that you have a paperweight from then on?

Is the beta with the added fan/speed tables cut yet?

Potential Tuner
    Thank's for the info

Has anyone been successful in recovering the module by using the factory reflashing tools/software, or are they generally bricked after this happens?
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

I think I'm in this exact situation.. I just tried to flash an 09 Express van file onto an '08 Avalanche as we are doing an 4L80E swap.. When I go back and try and flash the original PCM programming back onto the PCM, it's telling me that this is an "Unlicensed VEhicle" though I just licensed it 5 minutes before.

It's nice that this post just died without any following up and answering what 96gt4.6 posted.. Seems to be all too common.

In all honesty if you don't know the answer it's a bad idea to just attempt to overwrite an ECU. Now you know by finding out the hard way.

If you are lucky you can revive them with an MDI but more often than not it's a door stop now.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

All of mine were able to be recovered with the GM software.

But as stated, and as I learned as well, doing a write entire OS change on these ECU's is not nearly as tolerant as the older generation ECU's were unfortunately.

So I'm new to this.

I did a 2010 Camaro SS 6L80e trans to CTSV 6L90e Stage II built by Tim King trans swap in my ProCharged 2010 Camaro SS.

I have the 2010 Camaro SS 6L80e TCM in the 6L90e, but I'm wanting to try do a segment swap to a 2012 ZL1 6L90e trans tune to have a base to build a tune on.

Will that brick the trans TCM or will it be ok?
    2010 Camaro SS 781rwhp
    TKR Stage 4 CTSV 6L90
    Circle D 258mm 3400 3B Pro Series Multi Disk
    Kooks Ceramic LT's & full 3in exhaust
    TFS GenX 255's (Polished PAC .660's and Ti-Retainers)
    TSP VVT 3.2 cam
    Smith Bro's trunnion kit
    AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband Gauges
    FIC ID1300x Injectors
    ZL1 Fuel Pump
    DSX Flex Fuel Kit / Auxiliary Fuel Pump Kit
    MM Camaro 5 Wild
    Holley Tall LS Valve Covers
    NGK Iridium IX #7
    HP Tuners MPVI2+
    ProCharger D1X @ 13psi

Tuner in Training
    So you cant use a 2013 comp on an 08 chevy silverado?
    I was planning on doing that so i wouldnt have to scale my injectors ?
    Last edited by the demon; 02-05-2020 at 10:39 AM.