Thread: 98 TA DTCs only showing P0101-P0170

Tuner in Training

98 TA DTCs only showing P0101-P0170

When scanning my car I always get a P0218 but in my tune under Engine Diagnostics>DTCs the DTCs listed are only P0101-P0170. Why are the rest of the possible DTCs not showing up including P0218 so I can disable it?

I have seen this a few times in the past, and it is likely due to the effect of a previous editor. I usually rebuild a stock car for the vehicles missing large DTC sections. I got a PCM sent to me for mail order tuning a few weeks ago that had about the first dozen DTCs that are normal but they stopped in the middle of bank1sensor1 codes... the rest of the list is gone.
    Last edited by Frost; 11-11-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling err
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Frost, can you elaborate on the "rebuilding" procedure?

If you like the "meat" of your current tune, I'd get a stock file with the same OS and copy all of the tables over and then setup the DTCs and replace your VIN. It may cost you some credits if you don't already have a year unlocked though.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Thank you I will look into that.

Tuner in Training
    I have the same issue, except kew the problem and did not correct it before going to a 3 bar OS.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I have seen this a few times in the past, and it is likely due to the effect of a previous editor. I usually rebuild a stock car for the vehicles missing large DTC sections. I got a PCM sent to me for mail order tuning a few weeks ago that had about the first dozen DTCs that are normal but they stopped in the middle of bank1sensor1 codes... the rest of the list is gone.
    Steve, the list was completely gone? Not the codes shut off? I've never seen that. Which PCMs? If you have a file like that, would you email it to me? I would like to look at it with a hex editor, to see what that looks like. I'll let you know what I find.

our s/w stops processing the DTC list when it sees an error

in most cases the MIL type has incorrect values like 6 or 8 or some other invalid value.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Guys, attached is the tune if anyone would like to check it out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
    Steve, the list was completely gone? Not the codes shut off? I've never seen that. Which PCMs? If you have a file like that, would you email it to me? I would like to look at it with a hex editor, to see what that looks like. I'll let you know what I find.
    I just spent about 20 minutes looking for it but I can't find it at the moment... just too many customer files and apparently memory is dim because I saw it last over the summer. I assumed that something was done with LS1edit previously that was out of bounds so to speak.

Chris' post confirms this.

Also, the files looked like the one in the post directly above this one that the orginial poster has attached, so that would definitely be a suitable example.

I also believe that like his, and this may be coincidence, that the several that I have seen have all come from 98 PCMs.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    He sent me a copy of it. Probably what Chris mentioned. I'll convert it to straight binary and take a look. I'll let you know.

Ed

Tuner in Training
    I just emaled it to you. Just as Chris said, bogus numbers. Loc 6BCB9, (action), was OK, but the SES light enable switches at 6BD95 was $22, (They should be no more than $01), loc 6BD97 was $19, 6BD98 was $3F. It shows all the DTCs now when you open it with hpt. First one I've seen like that.

Ed

Tuner in Training
    i've also seen dtc's missing on 98 pcm's. I just did what frost said and started over with a new file
    2000 z28 race car
    85 mustang Ls turbo

Tuner in Training
    I've never seen that before. Wonder how they got that way? It's quicker to just fix it than do it all over.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've stickied this thread as this question has been asked several times now
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
    I've never seen that before. Wonder how they got that way? It's quicker to just fix it than do it all over.
    Assuming you have an open license, I just open a stock file of same year and OS and open the affected file with Compare. In the Compare menu, with just a few clicks you can move every difference from the affected file into the stock file. Update the VIN, re-set the DTCs in the file that was stock and save it with a new name. Do a write-entire and you are good to go.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Thanks everyone for your help.

Ed was generous enough to fix the file. Unfortunately when I tried to open it in HP tuners it said that I needed a license. The final consensus for someone that does not have an open license is to go to the dealership and have the computer reflashed. I wish there was a cheaper solution but it doesn't seem like there is.

Quote Originally Posted by ssbowtie1 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help.

Ed was generous enough to fix the file. Unfortunately when I tried to open it in HP tuners it said that I needed a license. The final consensus for someone that does not have an open license is to go to the dealership and have the computer reflashed. I wish there was a cheaper solution but it doesn't seem like there is.
    Keep in mind that it will go back to OEM programming at that point, so if you have something like larger injectors or what-not, you will need to have your laptop handy to move you tables back into that new PCM setup.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Keep in mind that it will go back to OEM programming at that point, so if you have something like larger injectors or what-not, you will need to have your laptop handy to move you tables back into that new PCM setup.
    Basically the plan is to go and have them flash a stock tune. Then I'll download that tune using HP tuners, open my modded file, and I'll use the compare and copy difference functions to quickly change everything back over to the old config but hopefully I'll have all DTCs this time

Senior Tuner
    Just to add a little something to this. These errors may be coming from calibrations made with an earlier Tuner Cat definition file. There was a bug in a the 97-98 tdf file a couple years back that I pointed out to TC and he had it fixed the next day.

I had noticed that if I maxed out some of the misfire tables, it would cause some of the DTC values to change. Turns out he had the misfire tables axis incorrectly defined. (they are smaller than later LS's)

As I said, this was several years back and has been fixed, but if the file exists in a car or someone is still using an old .tdf version, it could still show up.
    Jaime