Thread: Magnuson, IAT temps

Tuner

Magnuson, IAT temps

The car is an 05 GTO, 6.0, new Magnuson install, was doing some tuning, wondering where all the timing was going, checked the IAT temp, 170*, wow, checked the IAT table, sure enough, 165*-170*, -8 to -11 degrees of timing, considering that the IAT was originally in the maf, by the air filter, now it's after the blower, (which should give the TRUE intake temp), my question for you guys with experience on these set ups, do I stick with the stock table, I mean 170* is 170*, or since it is accepted that a compressor heats the air, and the sensor is in a different location, (in its original location, 170* temp just after the air filter would mean some big time heat soak down the line), what temp is acceptable? One thing to keep in mind, I'm in Fla, mid 80s, humid.

Senior Tuner
    No, your first assumption in that 170 is 170 is accurate. Now, is your IC/HE system working at optimal levels? Keep in mind, it is normal for Cobras and Lightnings and GT500s to show 100 to 130 degree temps as normal during WOT, but once they start going over 130 and 150, then something seriously should be done to improve the temps. Those engines are also low compression (8.4 to 8.5:1), and the both the Cobra and the GT500 have internal components designed for forced induction.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner
    I believe the IC/HE system is working, the water is circulating and getting hot, the other thing I should have mentioned is that this is happening on a dyno, the engine coolant is fine, there is a carpet fan right in the grill and a large "Heat Buster" blowing air over the whole car, but it's not the same as driving, however it's not the same as sitting in traffic either, LOL. At one point I shut it off for a while, let the manifold cool some, ( as much as it's gonna in this heat), fired it up, and made a run, got most of the timing back, and made more power too. So basically, I should stay with the stock IAT temp vs timing table or screw with it at my own peril?

Advanced Tuner
    water/meth injection will be your friend... ive picked up 40rwhp by doing that..

and yes they will get to 170 no problems at all... the intercoolers on these setups are useless..

Tuner
    RWTD, VYSSLS1, just wanted to thank both of you for the info, this kind of info isn't readily available, it only comes from a LOT of time, effort, and sometimes broken sh*t!
    "Good judgment is the result of experience, experience comes from the result of bad judgment!"

170 does seem a bit high. I used to see 150 max, overdriving the blower too. Im going to assume its the 112 magnacharger? If so, there has always been issues with the plastic sensor housing heating up being mounted in the hot manifold. Does not give as true a reading as it should. In the newer released 1900 tvs kits, the iat sensor was actually moved inside the manifold, mounted to the intercooler core, with the bottom of the sensor directly in airflow. Made a huge improvement in the accuracy of the readings.

One thing I did when I had the 112 was replace the thermister in the iat sensor with a faster acting one. theyre available from Omega engineering. It still read high at idle and in traffic, but as soon as the air started moving it came down alot faster than with the stock sensor.

also, looking at the 112 tune from magnuson I had saved, 176degrees only pulls 3 degrees of timing. Maybe your table is a little agressive?
    Last edited by JoeCiv; 05-31-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Tuner
    The 170* I saw was on the dyno, after several pulls, and I'm in Fla, hot and humid. Not sure about the blower, I believe it's the 112. When I saw the 170*, looked at the table, and 165-170, -8 to -11 degrees, the car was bought N/A with a cam, headers, etc., the Maggie was just put on recently, I'm going to see if by chance there is a stock tune for this car in the repository and compare the tables, the table in this car came with it.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EaglePerformance View Post
    I believe the IC/HE system is working, the water is circulating and getting hot, the other thing I should have mentioned is that this is happening on a dyno, the engine coolant is fine, there is a carpet fan right in the grill and a large "Heat Buster" blowing air over the whole car, but it's not the same as driving, however it's not the same as sitting in traffic either, LOL. At one point I shut it off for a while, let the manifold cool some, ( as much as it's gonna in this heat), fired it up, and made a run, got most of the timing back, and made more power too. So basically, I should stay with the stock IAT temp vs timing table or screw with it at my own peril?
    Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1 View Post
    water/meth injection will be your friend... ive picked up 40rwhp by doing that..
    I'm not directing this towards you, VYSSLS1, but I'd like to take the opportunity to address everyone on some of the aspects of why we intercool forced induction setups.

Intercoolers do not in themselves give a vehicle additional power. They provided the method that can allow for such, by 3 different ways, either independently, or collaboratively:

1: Increase in boost
    2: Increase in spark
    3: The "2nd Order Effect"

The "2nd Order Effect" is a FREE gain in power from the efficiency gain the IC gives for the supercharger or turbo. The effect is larger with superchargers, naturally, as the power to drive them increases the higher they are spun, especially when they start getting beyond their efficiency range.

Many of us have conclusively shown that meth does not work well at all to gain power on PDB (positive displacement blower) setups by cooling, as the under the blower air/water IC negates the cooling affect of the meth. I would like to write the book on why this is the case, but myself and others have a TON of history and data on www.ModularFords.com in the Terminator ('03-'04 Cobra) section that definitely proves such, and I unfortunately don't have the time for another drawn out discussion on this (just go there and do some searches). There has been some "inconclusive" tests run where several have put the meth *below* the IC, yet none of those testers ever really found any 2nd Order Effect increase. Now, yes, the power gains from the cooling affect works amazingly on inefficient turbo and centrifugal setups, especially those that aren't intercooled.

There can be some gains from the octane enhancement, as long as you increase the spark to take advantage of such, AND provided one is not already at/near MBT (mean best timing, which is the spark that is required to make the most power).

Regards,

James
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)