Thread: How to connect an AA battery to your MPVI interface to troubleshoot

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

How to connect an AA battery to your MPVI interface to troubleshoot

In some instances you may be asked to troubleshoot your interface by connecting it to an AA battery to rule out a hardware issue, here's a short how to.

First you'll need to insert the raw voltage pid into the #1 slot in your table display

Next you will need to connect a smallish 3-5" long piece of 16-20 gauge wire to the #1 port on your mpvi pro interface

Next you will need to connect a smallish 3-5" long piece of 16-20 gauge wire to the #5(ground) port on your mpvi interface

Next you will need to connect the #1 piece to the postive terminal on the battery and the #5 piece to the negative terminal.

Now connect your interface to your vehicle and begin logging

Without the AA battery connected the voltage will likely hover around 1.34-1.37 volts this is perfectly normal.

New AA batteries will put out ~1.5v-1.6v(my new rayovac hit 1.602v), so if your interface is reading this voltage perfectly in the scanner then you likely have an issue somewhere else, whether its a custom pid that is incorrect or your wideband controller hasn't been properly configured.

-Bill
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 05-02-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training

Same test using LM1 with pictures!

I've been trying to troubleshoot my wideband problem and came across this helpful post. I didn't have a fresh battery handy so instead I programmed my LM1 to output 1.5 volts at all afr's.

In picture 1 you can see how the ouput cable is connected to the HPT interface.

In picture 2 I'm verifying the output voltage at the HPT interface.

And finally in picture 3 I'm comparing the actual output vs the raw voltage input in the scanner.

As you can see it is reading the voltage very closely so we know the problem isn't here. There is a slight difference. This is most likely due to a ground offset.

Hope this helps.
    Chris

Tuner in Training
    Do you have to have the HPTuner pro to hook a LM2 to it

Quote Originally Posted by Double-L View Post
    Do you have to have the HPTuner pro to hook a LM2 to it
    Directly to it like is pictured above.

You can log it via the A/C or EGR in most cases the the std interface.
    Hawk

I used a variable CD power supply with regulated voltage. I double checked the voltage output with a multimeter. It matched the volts indicated on the supply's display.
    Then I logged raw voltage and found a 0.3V difference between the input and the actual HPT reading

So, I adjusted it on my wideband config and now AFR readings are the same on scanner and Wideband display.