Thread: HP and wideband opposite readings

HP and wideband opposite readings

Why am I having my afr goes to rich 10 in HP while it is showing me that it is going to 14.7 in the gauge. (Simple words they are going the opposite way)

I have LM 1 wide band and the pro interface.

One more thing why I can not read the ve and maf vs. afr error.

By the way I have done every thing according to info I gathered from the forum.

I attached the config am working on.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its likely that you never programmed the output of your LM1, and you need to log commanded afr to get afr error.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Bill you helped me in the past let me try to help here. Devil I'm new to tuning myself. I'll tell you what worked for me. I run a lc-1 setups with a XD-16 gauges. I ran the brown wire to my input 1 and green ground wire to pin 5 on my MPVI. (Your wires may be different) After installation I opened the lm programmer and went to analog out 2. I set it for air fuel ratio. In the volt I set them like this. 2.95 at 10.0 and 2.95 at 18.0 and hit program. This will show you your offset. ( You will change these setting later) Then I opened my scanner-Histogram and #8. Hit the config button. Under plot value choose air fuel ratio - Change your decimals to 2. Go down to Sensor and select air fuel ratio. Make sure units show up as AFR. Hit save and close the setup. It should look like the screen shot when your done. Click start scanning to see your reading. If your showing 14.7 Your done. Mine was not. I opened the Table display in the scanner and right clicked on EIO Input 1, click the insert. I did a user defined. (I didn't use the LC1 under wide band.) Double click user define. Double click Configuer user define. Select a undefinded and give it a name and Abbrv. Sensor should be Air fuel ratio and units should be afr. Stay with linear. Because I went 10 to 18 in my Lm programmer settings I stayed with that here,(18 -10 makes a range of 8 with 5 volts that gives me a range of 5/8 and 5/8 brakes down to 0.625) This is inserted under volts. I took my reading from my histogram we made and added to that number to come up with 14.7 I then added that after the plus sign for a setup of 0.625+10.7 When your done close the Config. Goto EIO right click-insert-user defined-double click your set up. Hit the start scanning to see how you did. 14.7 and your done. If not adjust + or - from there to tweak it in for 14.7 When your finished go back to the LM programer-analog 2 and set your volts. When I was finished mine looked like this. 0.00 volt 10 and 5.00 Volt 18. hit program and your done. I did this a while back and I'm working from memory here. try it, if you have a problem I'll go run a setup on my truck again.
    Last edited by always last; 12-15-2007 at 10:46 AM.
    2002 Chevy ECSB, 6.0 - 4L80, Comp Cam 226/270 .520/.524 Lift 115 Lobe - Magnaflow exhaust -Free flow cats K/N Kit - Electric fans - 3.73

Always Last and Bill I have been doing this the last couple of days. Here what I have done:
    1. I connect the wideband wire and the ground wire to the interface.
    2. I opened the LM programmer and I set output 2 to air fuel ratio with a range from 0 V = 10 afr to 5 V = 18 afr then I set the response speed to 1/6.
    3. I made a custom PID for the sensor (not the predefined one) and I use this equation V/0.5 + 10 + offset.

At last I have nailed it to math each other but I have 2 issues :
    1. As I noticed the offset is changing. Like offset at 10 afr is not the same as in 14.7 or in 17 afr. Simple words it is not a constant offset. So my question is this equation + offset is reliable in tuning especially that I am going to spray it .
    2. If not is there any other way to match them.
    3. One last thing how can I stabilize the reading in the tuner cuz it is jumping from 0.2 to 1 up and down.

2. I opened the LM programmer and I set output 2 to air fuel ratio with a range from 0 V = 10 afr to 5 V = 18 afr then I set the response speed to 1/6.

Answer - When you go to find your offset the setting in LM programmer should have been 2.95V=10 AFR to 2.95V=18 When your done you set it at 0 V = 10 afr to 5 V = 18 afr. I assume you did that.

1. As I noticed the offset is changing. Like offset at 10 afr is not the same as in 14.7 or in 17 afr. Simple words it is not a constant offset. So my question is this equation + offset is reliable in tuning especially that I am going to spray it

Answer - The only thing I can think of here is your ground has interference, your off set shouldn't change. From all the reading I have done it seems the ground is normally the biggest problem. Try grounding to the motor (if your not already) but don't share a ground with anything else keep it isolated. I put both my o2 grounds together and grounded to the cab under the dash. I kept the grounds separate for all other grounds and had no problem. I also made sure my cab had a good ground to the motor. Maybe I got lucky using the cab ground. But it worked out for me.

I run 2 LC-1's with 2 XD-16 gauges(not chained together) and both are very accurate. But I had to play with both of mine to get them right. When I was done I unplugged both o2's and did a reset(o2's in fresh air). Plugged them back in and let them go threw the heater and cal setup. Off set was correct and they are working perfect.
    2002 Chevy ECSB, 6.0 - 4L80, Comp Cam 226/270 .520/.524 Lift 115 Lobe - Magnaflow exhaust -Free flow cats K/N Kit - Electric fans - 3.73

Config setup and LM 1 setup are already done but there are some issue needs to be sorted out.
    First thing first, you mention that I have to ground the motor (the car is 2004Holden Commodore) I suppose it is grounded already, but how am I gonna ground the sensor cuz It doesn’t have any lose wire to ground it from (as you see in the attachment) or do you mean to ground the ground wire that goes to the interface.

This is because the huge oscillation that I have in the afr reading at the scanner.

The thought the LM1 sensor cable and the LC1 cable were the same. My Bad. On the LC1 sensor cable I have two plug in connectors and 7 additional wires. Disregard the grounding. It sounds like you have it setup is correctly.

You are using analog 2 with the correct wires for the LM1, Because on the LC1 analog 1 is for NBo2. Just had to ask because I'm running out of suggestions.

Key on(car not running), LM Programer, 2.95 in volts AFR, Hit program. HPT, Histogram #8 I be leave shows the offset. That number shouldn't change. Mine moved between 11.20 and 11.21 but nothing big.

Just out of curiosity skip the offset an go straight to the setup in HPT. See if you can get your LM1 and HPT to match afr using just the HPT setting. Start at 0.625+10 and move up or down from there. Do not set your volts 2.95 in LM Programmer leave them at 0.00 and 5.00.

I run 2 LC1 wide bands with 2 gauges independent of each other. One is hooked up to the HPT. All three readings are the same. So once this is worked out spray away.

I'm running 425 - 450 hp (haven't hit the dyno yet) I'm in the middle of tuning it now and it's slow going for me. Not a lot of time lately. As for as trusting the wide band and hitting it with spray. I am. I'm going to spray the shit out of it. Once you get setup in HPT it's very accurate and much easier to tune.

What I have done is neglecting the offset (actually I mange to make the LM 1& HP match ) and go for the tuning process but when it came to that I start having doubt about the accuracy of my LM 1 cuz it starts to give me unacceptable reading plus it jumps around like crazy while I have a steady reading in the LM 1 screen .
    I’ve done a bit of search about the grounding issue and I found one who says that I can get rid of the fluctuation issue by grounding the narrowband wire but some how I am not convinced, cuz he did not try it yet and I don’t wanna be colored black with a spiky hair when it blow up . So if somebody tried that method can put some input here cuz I am sure there is a way to stabilize the reading in HP without cutting the cable to ground the sensor.

I haven't heard that, considering it has output voltage I don't know if grounding it would be a good idea. Connecting it into the hpt couldn't hurt, then it would be sharing it own ground. I looked at a couple and threads on Innovates forum were they run ground and power to the LM1 from the battery and solved stability problems. You seem to be fine with the LM1, It's your readings with hpt so I don't know if that would help. Again I have the LC1 and my analog 1 wire is just tucked under the dash. I'm out of suggestion but I'll keep looking around.

I read in other forums that a filter between the analog output of the wideband and the tuners input might solve the problem. My car is at the shop now for general maintenance I’ll give it a shot once I have the car, but I have a question for the expert in HPtuners .
    Theoretically is the data going to be affected by this filter? I know that trying is the best way to know but I thought that I give it a shot.

Advanced Tuner
    I saw the same thing with my fuel pressure gauge. The gauge is a Autometer analog gauge but it has digital output that I log. In the log the fuel pressure is all over the place but the gauge reads 60psi steady. When I asked Autometer about it they told me the gauge has a buffer in it and that's why it doesn't bounce all over the place. Maybe your wb gauge has a built in buffer too?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

That's good to know. I just bought the autometer digital setup. I'm going to install it this week. Let's see how that works out.