Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: connecting PLX WB through egr DIALUP BEWARE

Advanced Tuner

HOWTO: connecting PLX WB through egr DIALUP BEWARE

i connected my WB into the egr inputs on the pcm on the weekend and thought id take a few pictures along the way. My car is an 2004 VY Holden Commodore with a 12200411 pcm, The EGR hardware was never installed into commodores but the egr ports still work in the pcm

Firstly this is my plx SM-AFR wideband with DM-5 Gauge

How it all fits together

I taped up the loose wire on the analog plug and left it disconnected, this sets the display units to AFR and not lambda.

Find the pcm in the car and disconnect the the Blue connector. Cut off the cable ties and take off the grey cover(i did this with a pair of pliers, look at pic to see how the clips hold it in place)

Then youll be greated with this

Thankfully GM labeled the pins so there easy to identify, pin 41 is WB ground and pin 55 is WB +

Turn the connector over and take off the blue plastic cover by pressing in the tabs on the side and pulling off cover

order at least 2 18ga pcm pins from www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/100w.aspx solder and crimp the pins onto wires approx 1.5meter long and push the pins through the top of the connector (just push past the orange seals at the top) and then pull them all the way through from the botton with a pair of long nose pliers until they click into place (on the pic above you can see one of the pins being pushed through)

In the plx instructions it says to connect a capacitor (which is supplied) as close to "your device" as posible to filter out noise (polarity doesnt matter)

then tape it up and put everything back together

now it just a matter of running the cables through the car

There is a gromet behind the glovebox that would have been perfect for the sensor wires to run into the engine bay through but since that was already being used for my battery and 2e0 WB cables i used the one behind the fuse pannel

plx glued into place

Last edited by sikhabib; 11-09-2007 at 08:49 PM.
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Good writeup & pics are good

I smell a sticky

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Display being mounted

Make up the power plug that comes with the plx kit and connect it to an igition power source, i used the cigerette lighter harness

Red wire connects to yellow on harness which is ignition 12v +
    black wire connects to black on harness (ground)

the wires i scribled out are for something else

Finally crimp and solder on the supplied WB output terminals onto the wires that are coming from the pcm and connect it into the plx controler

To setup the scanner

Make up 2 custom pids

and make sure your also have the egr position (v) pid in the main table

Configure histograms 6 and 7 as follows

If you cant make out the formulas from the pics ive attached my scanner config

And finally ........................ the only thing that needs to be done to the tune is to enable EGR

Last edited by sikhabib; 11-09-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

Very nice writeup indeed. Nice TT Goat too.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner
    Nice right-up, I've been trying to get mine to work for 6 months I don't remember anything about hooking up a ground and a capacitor. I have a 03 ss silverado, so it might be different.

Tuner
    Will this set-up work on a 03 silverado ss?

Not A Tuner
    Beautiful write up and excellent pictures.

Did I miss where you installed the capacitors

Does you PLX read stoich when in closed loop ???????? Mine does not !!!!!!!!

DH

2004 MSG A4

Appearance: Billet Plate&Sill/SS Insert/Screens/Blackout/Lowered/CCW SP500

Perfomance: 416 CI/228-232@114/AFR 225/FAST/LS2 TB/36#Injectors/Honker/RPM(IV)/Vig2400/Z06 Ti/Kooks/3.42 Gear/Hotchkis/Bilstein/Z06 Springs/Eradispeed/Hawk HP+/Trans Cooler/B&M Trans Pan/RonDavies with EOC/Nitto R2's/AMWcan/Rocker Rails/Frame Savers

Mods & Tune: A&A Corvette

??? RWHP / ??? RWTQ
    1/4 mile: mid 11's ??
    WSIR 1:37.68

what gauge wire did you use for the wb sensor to pcm, i picked up 14 cause they were out of 16? I guess i should be ok
    2002 Camaro Z28
    236/236/0.590"/0.590"/112 lsa cam
    Longtube Headers, True Dual w/ X Pipe
    Air Lid, Filter, Ported Maf End, Bellows Hose

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    Very nice writeup indeed. Nice TT Goat too.
    thanks mate, its acutally a Commodore Ute but they are very similar
    you got the TT bit right though

Quote Originally Posted by cgoodwrench
    Will this set-up work on a 03 silverado ss?
    if the 03 silverados have a 12200411 pcm then it should work, you will have to find a different way to power the plx controller put the connections from the controller to pcm should be the same

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
    Beautiful write up and excellent pictures.

Did I miss where you installed the capacitors

Does you PLX read stoich when in closed loop ???????? Mine does not !!!!!!!!

DH
    Thanks DH, 12th pic down shows the cap install. You dont have to install it but in the plx instructions it says its better to as it filters out any noise

In closed loop my wb constantly reads between 14.3-15, if i make my wb read 14.7 in open loop my narrow bands hover around 500mv so i guess its reading pretty close

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV 02 - Z28
    what gauge wire did you use for the wb sensor to pcm, i picked up 14 cause they were out of 16? I guess i should be ok
    not to sure what gauge wire it was, i had an old 12v 1.25amp power pak laying around and i just used the wires coming out of that. i bought the 18 gauge connectors from www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/100w.aspx and my cable fitted perfectly into the them so my cable might have been 18ga? i dont think it really matters, there isnt alot of current being drawn through the cables so as long as your wire fits into the pcm and plx connectors you should be ok

Sorry for not writing back sooner guys, i havent been on the board for a while

Ronny
    Last edited by sikhabib; 11-10-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks for this write up,

I have a question if you don't mind.

Can I just connect the WB with the PCM? what about the heater?

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by muayyadf1
    Thanks for this write up,

I have a question if you don't mind.

Can I just connect the WB with the PCM? what about the heater?

Thanks
    you need to have a wideband controller to read the wideband sensor and to run the heater.
    so no, you cant just plug an o2 sensor straight into the pcm

it needs to be

sensor ----> controller ----> pcm
    Last edited by sikhabib; 02-18-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    IF you have a vehicle that is EGR equipped, the hardwire should already be readily available to tap into?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by maxgee
    IF you have a vehicle that is EGR equipped, the hardwire should already be readily available to tap into?
    yes
    just make sure you fully disconnect the wires from the egr cause if you leave it connected and just patch your wideband into it you'll get skewed readings

Advanced Tuner
    Having problem opening the file. I am opening it on the labtop that I have my hptuner software on, but won't open. Ideas? I am trying to read the setting up the PIDs and the screen pix are too small to make out with confidence.

I still can't open the cfg files, but I got my AFR reading on my hpt
    Thanks!
    Last edited by maxgee; 04-20-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    2002 6.6 TR6060 ZO6 (520Whp)
    2014 Audi S7 (730whp)

Make sure you zero out any tables that are associated with egr. I think there is one that pulls timing when egr is enabled or something similar.

My SOM T/A's FQuick!
    2002 T/A: Torquer V3, Full Boltons, Suspension, M6, Lots of misc things.
    My Z/28's Cardomain (13.9 @ 101.1)
    1997 Z/28: A4, Some boltons, Lots of misc things.

Potential Tuner
    I'm looking to hookup the PLX SM-AFR to my 03 SSEi that I can read through my PT. (I have the EGR removed.) I wanted to confirm how I could connect the WB output to the EGR connector. I understand that I can use the Pin C (BRN) wire for the WB+. Which wire could I use for the WB ground? Pin D? Pin B? I'm not a electrical engineer and don't understand the difference between Pin D and Pin B.

Here's the pinouts of the EGR connector:

Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
    A GRY 435 EGR Solenoid Low Control
    B BLK 552 Low Reference <--- WB-
    C BRN 1456 EGR Valve Position Signal <--- WB+
    D GRY 605 5 Volt Reference
    E WHT 257 EGR Solenoid High Control

TIA

EDIT: Got it figured out. It's B. You could use D if you needed to provide 5+ volts to a sensor.
    Last edited by TommyGloves; 11-18-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I know this is super old, but with an LC-1, what does pin 55 connect to?

I'm having some troubles getting this worked out..

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sikhabib View Post

I am still confused about where to mount he wide band senor(s) and how many you need on a V8??

Looks like he mounted them after the cats?? won't the cats skew the reading?

and is he using one wide band sensor and a stock one on the otherside??? I am confused??

All four of those sensors are ahead of the cats. Not sure why there are two narrow bands in there but you only need one.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game