Thread: Why does my Dynamic Cylinder Air read lower when in Speed Density?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Why does my Dynamic Cylinder Air read lower when in Speed Density?

I've seen alot of people when they go to Speed Density mode from Maf mode see their Dynamic cylinder air reading in their histograms or graphs read 1/2 of what it reads in the table display.

This is caused by the maf reading still being in the table display and reading a steady number.

Since dynamic cylinder air can be calculated from maf as well as by other ways when you leave the maf sitting at a steady reading the program still tries to calculate dynamic cylinder air off of this faulty reading then averages it together with the other calculation finally giving you 1/2 of what the real reading should be.

The simple fix is to NOT log MAF(SAE) in your table display when your not using it

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    can we just have 2 separate dyncylair's, one for SD, one for MAF, so it eliminates confusion?

guilty.. lol

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I know, thats why I made this a sticky

Hopefully this will ease confusion, ie in SD mode just delete the maf pid, when in maf mode keep the maf PID.

Senior Tuner
    what if you're trying to compare the airmass is between the two modes?

Not A Tuner
    I don't seem to have this issue .........

I am logging MAF while doing my VE only cause i'm too lazy to remove the Maf PID.

DH

2004 MSG A4

Appearance: Billet Plate&Sill/SS Insert/Screens/Blackout/Lowered/CCW SP500

Perfomance: 416 CI/228-232@114/AFR 225/FAST/LS2 TB/36#Injectors/Honker/RPM(IV)/Vig2400/Z06 Ti/Kooks/3.42 Gear/Hotchkis/Bilstein/Z06 Springs/Eradispeed/Hawk HP+/Trans Cooler/B&M Trans Pan/RonDavies with EOC/Nitto R2's/AMWcan/Rocker Rails/Frame Savers

Mods & Tune: A&A Corvette

??? RWHP / ??? RWTQ
    1/4 mile: mid 11's ??
    WSIR 1:37.68

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Many people remove the maf sensor all together or unplug it yet leave the PID in the table display...this is the most common reason they'll come across this.

Potential Tuner
    Bill, In studying my problem with a P0101 DTC. I highly believe my MAF is faulty although there is no spikes or dips. I believe the ref. table is the Calc air vs TPS vs RPM. In converting the MAF lbs/min to g/sec then comparing to this table my MAF the value is about 1/2 of the Calc air vs TPS vs RPM. Am I correct to think my MAF has this much error or am I referring to the wrong table.

P0101 means that the difference between Dynamic Airflow (not g/cyl, just grams) and MAF airflow is too great and the PCM diagnoses it as a MAF problem. Sounds like your VE is significantly off.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the correction and I thought I was getting some small grasp with the tuning program. The P0101 started popping up around the time I installed a KandN cold air kit. Although KandN will argue for their kits. the problem was to coincidental. Anyway I've gone back with the stock tune and stock air box just to verify and address the VE. Still got the code.

I'll study and learn the relationship between Dynamic air and MAF.

Hmmm. Might log some data. Could simply be a failing MAF. (MAF value goes to zero or max occasionally)

Potential Tuner
    Idle runs about 1 lb/min, 55mph is about 5 to 6 lbs/min and WOT pulls about 20lbs/min but no true dips or spikes of zero or max. I guess my next move is to make a scan from a proper working vechile to compare with.

Potential Tuner
    Did a scan on my 5.3l Tahoe and compared it against my silveradoss. MAF readings seem to be in the ballpark. Maybe my problem is intermittent and hav'nt ran accross a dip or spike yet.

Very possible

Advanced Tuner
    So this would affect VE tuning? Is this why the calc'd torque numbers are lower in olsd?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

No it won't affect VE Tuning as you have the MAF disabled.

Senior Tuner
    Bump, Since the latest beta I've been having a problem with this even though all the MAF related items are not in my PID list. Can something else be messing with it??
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Alvin, please email support with a vcm suite infolog, your scanner config file you are using, your file named VCM Scanner.cfg, the scanner log you are seeing this issue on(just one is fine) along with a screenshot of exactly what YOU are seeing so we can try to recreate the error.

Thanks,
    Bill