Thread: Does AFM or DOD hurt performance?

Does AFM or DOD hurt performance?

I am not familiar with AFM/DOD and I have heard a few people saying they don't want it on there car because it takes around 25HP away.

Is that true?

Would it hurt 1/4 mile time?

What are the disatvantages of having it enabled?
    1998 z28 A4 mods are 347 forged shortblock, prc 5.3l stg2.5, long tubes 3'' moroso siralflow dumped, ms3 cam, PTM 90mm TB, Fast 90mm intake, Electric Water Pump.This is my bracket racing car.

DOD is only enabled when cruising. It would not have any effect on WOT driving.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    i actually love my DoD, i find that if driven properly, it DRASTICALLY improves mileage!!!!

Tuner in Training
    Tex, what kind of vehicle do you have that has DOD?? I just got a 07 GMC 5.3 with DOD. Just curious what my mileage is going to be.

Advanced Tuner
    after tweaking the setpoint TPS% to about 20% under low load, i average 24-25mpg on the freeway (according to both my "average" and "instant" gas mileage settings on the DIC)...thats at 70mph!!!!!!

while driving around the city, its the same as any other v8 truck

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsrt4
    after tweaking the setpoint TPS% to about 20% under low load, i average 24-25mpg on the freeway (according to both my "average" and "instant" gas mileage settings on the DIC)...thats at 70mph!!!!!!

while driving around the city, its the same as any other v8 truck

Wow 24 - 25 MPG freeway??? I'd take 20 - 21 MPG freeway! What model truck do you have? And where is the DOD set at from the factory? I have not had a chance to hook my HP tuners to mine yet to check it out. Not to mention I only have 340 miles on it so far.

Advanced Tuner
    i was getting in that neighborhood with my stock settings (20-21mpg). i have an 07 crewcab sierra 2WD. with about 1200 miles on it now

factory setting is 6%throttle...which seems awfully small to me, too quick to get out of 4cyl mode. i swapped it to 20% and have not looked back.

a lot of people are anxious to turn off the DoD, but i dont understand why. under full throttle, the power is there. who wouldnt want better mileage?

oh, and for the record, my transition between 4 and 8 mode is near seamless, i can only tell because my dash tells me so

oh, and for the record, my transition between 4 and 8 mode is near seamless, i can only tell because my dash tells me so
    I drove and tuned an 07 Tahoe 5.3l and the transition from 4 to 8 was enormous. Paint dries faster. The "feel" without DOD was much more responsive. Although the Tahoe was AWD and probally much heavier than your 2wd pick up so maybe that is the difference????? What do ya' think???

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauss
    I drove and tuned an 07 Tahoe 5.3l and the transition from 4 to 8 was enormous. Paint dries faster. The "feel" without DOD was much more responsive. Although the Tahoe was AWD and probally much heavier than your 2wd pick up so maybe that is the difference????? What do ya' think???

that is possiable, but they also had a "recall" in which the computer was tweaked. maybe they corrected this issue. i dont really see how it would vary that much between the tahoe and the trucks, even if they differ in drivetrain configurations. the mechanics are the same. odds are its in the programing somewhere, the trucks and the suv's must have different set points.

now there is a power difference between the two (4 and 8 mode), of course, so dont think there isnt, but the lag as it transfers from the two modes in my truck is instant.

i have built and tuned countless fast cars, from old school hot rods (just got done building an engine for my bosses 32 ford) to GT1 race cars, and everything in between. i find this truck to drive better than most. the lag from pedal down to truck moving is hardly noticeable at all, and the transition isnt.

again, you couldnt tell the difference if you were in 4cyl mode and nailed it into 8, or if you cruised in 8.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsrt4
    i was getting in that neighborhood with my stock settings (20-21mpg). i have an 07 crewcab sierra 2WD. with about 1200 miles on it now

factory setting is 6%throttle...which seems awfully small to me, too quick to get out of 4cyl mode. i swapped it to 20% and have not looked back.

a lot of people are anxious to turn off the DoD, but i dont understand why. under full throttle, the power is there. who wouldnt want better mileage?

Yes 6% does seem very small, maybe they don't want those 4cyls to overwork them selves. However, how much power does engine make at 20% throttle anyway? Not much I'm sure. Not enough to hurt anything I would think.
    Your right about wanting to turn it off, Why would you, if for some reason DOD was kicking in at WOT then you would see it in the logger, your MAP and MAF readings would show. I want the mileage and the power when I need it, thats the whole beauty of DOD.

I can't wait to get in to mine.

the mechanics are the same.
    no they are not.... weight, mass, inertia.... remember that? regardless, this is a forum for learning and not argueing, I am glad you like DoD, I do not. If every road was flat then it would work, perfect. For those of you who haven't tried a DoD vehichle....................goodluck all! and Goodwork HpTuners!!!!
    Your right about wanting to turn it off, Why would you,
    a four cylinder with a magnaflow sounds like a fat kid eating cake under water........
    Last edited by Hauss; 09-06-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Tuner in Training
    no they are not.... weight, mass, inertia.... remember that? regardless, this is a forum for learning and not argueing, I am glad you like DoD, I do not. If every road was flat then it would work, perfect. For those of you who haven't tried a DoD vehichle....................goodluck all! and Goodwork HpTuners!!!!

I agree, we are all here to learn more. And if we do or don't like DOD it's here to stay. Every 5.3L truck I test drove on the lot except for the flex fuel truck had DOD.

a four cylinder with a magnaflow sounds like a fat kid eating cake under water........
    Thats pretty funny. I'd never heard it put that way.

Advanced Tuner

yes, the mechanical aspects are the same, the physics arnt. the components inside the motor are the same. but thanks for the contribution. i live here in the bay area of northern california, we have very few flat roads, i still have no problems.

im not going to deny that magnaflows sound bad with a 4cyl, but to use that a justification to not optimise the fuel mileage isnt the most logical. ultimately, it comes down to getting what you want out of the vehicle, afterall you purchased it and have to drive it.

oh, and that is why im going corsa exhaust wise, sounds good even when cruising...though its kinda pricey

Tuner

LS7 Economy

I tweek tuned on my 02 Z and got it to perform very well and then drop it into 6th and cruise @ 29 to 34 MPG.

I am in process with my 07 Z I am getting better results than the 02 Z. Well tuned = good economy and no I'm not a DOD guy!

Go Figure?

Warp 10 Always.
    Warp 10 Always