Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM Event Recorder...End of Tuning???

Potential Tuner

GM Event Recorder...End of Tuning???

One of the tuner shops I visit is saying that GM is denying warranty because of ECM flashing. Seems the flash is noticed by their event recorder (new gimmick to avoid warranty service...seems Microsoft is influencing GM).
    If that is really so, then I can't use my HPTuners toy except as a paper weight.

I would think that HPTuners would learn to read and modify the event recorder....even though not directly related to performance.

I have an '07 Z06 that has the dreaded event recorder on the GMLAN. It was noticed early on as rear axle shafts/CV joints were failing under launch (not on mine as of yet).

With ECM flashing shown on the event recorder I guess I will have to abandon HPTuners and go with a MAF translator.
    Tis a shame unless HPTuners can rectify this mess.

Few things..

If you modify your tune, why wouldn't you think you would void your warranty? GM does not warranty tune changes.

Also, why would we risk masking the tuning process to protect warranty? We don't want that liability. Thats not our liablity to carry.

If you tune your car, you'll probably void your warranty. (Read YOUR warranty to see for sure)

Its no different than changing your intake or exhaust.

GM can verify a tune on newer vehicles if they check the CVN.. They have the system in place for the newer vehicles but its up to them to use it.

Same goes with the EPA.

Ford is starting to put a flash write counter in some of the newer vehicles as well.

These are great for us. It forces our customers to be more responsible.

If you want to keep your warranty, make sure you read your warranty documentation.. and keep your vehicle stock.

Please be responsible.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

I cannot speak of the specifics of "todays" warranties, but I do know that just a few years back that it was the burden of the manufacturer to prove that your modification "directly" caused the failure. An example would be a bad tune that had too much advance and too litle fuel causing detonation and piston damage, then probally no warranty, but if you properly tune and are not at the dragstrip everyday but your waterpump or something like that fails then the manufacturer would proballycover it. There are so many variables, but I believe the legalities are in our favor and not the manufacturers, as long as we dont over do it.

Here's the GM webpage about event data recorders.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Not A Tuner
    All depends on the dealership you go to. When I first got my Vette a local dealership wouldn't address any of my issues because of a CAI.

Another dealership has done warrantee work on a Z06 3.42 gear set on my C5 automatic.

DH

2004 MSG A4

Appearance: Billet Plate&Sill/SS Insert/Screens/Blackout/Lowered/CCW SP500

Perfomance: 416 CI/228-232@114/AFR 225/FAST/LS2 TB/36#Injectors/Honker/RPM(IV)/Vig2400/Z06 Ti/Kooks/3.42 Gear/Hotchkis/Bilstein/Z06 Springs/Eradispeed/Hawk HP+/Trans Cooler/B&M Trans Pan/RonDavies with EOC/Nitto R2's/AMWcan/Rocker Rails/Frame Savers

Mods & Tune: A&A Corvette

??? RWHP / ??? RWTQ
    1/4 mile: mid 11's ??
    WSIR 1:37.68

Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    If that is really so, then I can't use my HPTuners toy except as a paper weight.
    Are you serious? I don't know about everyone else on here, but when I got my car I did not care about the warranty. Once you start to tamper with things it is all out the window anyway. All it takes is someone screwing a tune up and then trying to get GM to cover their mess up. MOST people look into these things before making a purchase anyway. If everyone had the same complaint, there would be thousands of posts people saying "my exhaust is a paper weight now". Come on....
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
    All depends on the dealership you go to. When I first got my Vette a local dealership wouldn't address any of my issues because of a CAI.

Another dealership has done warrantee work on a Z06 3.42 gear set on my C5 automatic.

DH
    Yep. Most I see will cover warranty unless they can prove your modifications caused the damage (or if you are being an ass they will find some way to screw you lol).
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Just do what I did...Take the tune out before you take it in for service.

Some places look for things to avoid replacing/repairing your vehicle...others are just like meh...and they grab their wrenches and go to work. Try going to a country type kin-folk dealership where they go 'huh' when you mention a TechII. lol!

doesn't matter if you take it out...

If your action would cause the problem, then they can tell you that warranty will not cover it. If your action did not cause it, then you are okay, by most dealers. Dealers can tell if you have reflashed your computer or not. Just remember to be sensible if you want warranty still. Do not load a 600 rwhp tune & then say, but my tranny broke can you fix that under warranty? If you raise the speed limitor & shut off the egr & then your tranny goes you might be okay then.
    2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 LT1 (with extras), Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto drain valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, Victory Red.
    33'-0" Dutchman fifthwheel,Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

Banks Sixgun with HPTUNERS.

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CRASHNBURN
    If your action would cause the problem, then they can tell you that warranty will not cover it. If your action did not cause it, then you are okay, by most dealers. Dealers can tell if you have reflashed your computer or not. Just remember to be sensible if you want warranty still. Do not load a 600 rwhp tune & then say, but my tranny broke can you fix that under warranty? If you raise the speed limitor & shut off the egr & then your tranny goes you might be okay then.
    Like I said above ..... depends on the dealership.

You can see my sig and they can see and know of all the mods ...... including the tune. My service rep knows not to flash my PCM

WS6FirebirdTA00: I have lots of "paper wieights" ......... heads, intake and exhaust ...... all the stcok parts You must have an awfull big desk to use an exhaust as a paper wieght

DH

I had my GTO at a drag race sponsored in part by my dealership. I snapped the axle with a 5k launch. As I was pushed off the track a person from the dealership said "bring it in Monday and we will see what we can do about that", I said "nope, considering the circumstances I think I will be taking care of this one". I would not take my car in for warantee work for a problem I caused. Todd

Todd,

You are a real stand up guy for that one.
    2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 LT1 (with extras), Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto drain valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, Victory Red.
    33'-0" Dutchman fifthwheel,Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

Banks Sixgun with HPTUNERS.

Meh the factory warranty is only 3 years (in some cases 5) just wait it out
    2004 Yellow M6
    HPT Pro, LM1, SVEDE, 85mm FAST Manifold, 85mm TB, TR224 112 Cam, TEA ported/milled 243 heads, SW LT headers, SW Custom Side Exhaust, King springs, Pedders shocks, Hotchkis sways, Pedders & ES Bushings, DBA rotors, Hawk/Axxis pads, Stoptech lines, shiftlight, AP Sideskirts, AP rear bumper, 05 hood, SAP grilles, Hoens, dual aeroforce gauges
    Stock 309.8 RWHP 330.7 RWTQ
    Now ? RWHP ? RWTQ
    1 of 1014

2017 Audi A5 2.0T Cabriolet (bone stock) Daily/winter driver

Senior Tuner
    You want to mod up, be ready to man up. That's
    the deal. Man Law.

Everyone thought OBDII was the end of tuning too... LOL
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    One of the tuner shops I visit is saying that GM is denying warranty because of ECM flashing. Seems the flash is noticed by their event recorder (new gimmick to avoid warranty service...seems Microsoft is influencing GM).

I would think that HPTuners would learn to read and modify the event recorder....even though not directly related to performance.

I have an '07 Z06 that has the dreaded event recorder on the GMLAN. It was noticed early on as rear axle shafts/CV joints were failing under launch (not on mine as of yet).

With ECM flashing shown on the event recorder I guess I will have to abandon HPTuners and go with a MAF translator.
    Tis a shame unless HPTuners can rectify this mess.
    Someone's filling your head with ---
    The "event recorder" you are referring to is used for "black box" type recording in the event of an accident sufficient for airbag deployment. And even then it has nothing to do with detecting a modifed engine calibration, just data on exactly what the engine was doing for the last few seconds prior to deployment(or more correctly algorithm enable) Yes, there are ways software modifications CAN be detected, but not only isnt there a documented procedure from GM Service to do so, it is certainly not a normal practise for them to start pouring over CVN checksums unless there was some sort of warranty claim investigation or other significant reason for doing so.

That being said "Ditto" on Kieth's comments though

If you want more info on exactly what gets recorded in the Event Data Recorder (EDR) - check out the PPT and FAQ on this site:
    http://www.boschdiagnostics.net/products/CDR/
    Regards
    WopOnTour

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    You want to mod up, be ready to man up. That's
    the deal. Man Law.
    I love that. Great Creedo!

WopOnTour

Tuner
    FWIW - the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act [click1] [click2] is a federal statute that says no auto maker can void a warranty w/o proving that an aftermarket modification caused the failure that would be repaired by said warranty. (More or less)

For instance, you tint your windows, they can't void the warranty on the powertrain. You drop the car w/ springs, they can void the warranty on the suspension parts.

The case of ECM tuning, therefore, is quite delicate since an ECM tune can affect damn near everything nowadays (even suspension on some cars where that is controlled dynamically). So, as I've also told people, if you actually want your warranty, then you should not write your ECM for any reason.
    Last edited by bc3tech; 02-07-2008 at 11:05 AM.
    The '07 Aura XR
    [In] XM ExpressEZ
    [Next] intake res delete, Tint, Eibachs

The Procharged Ion - SMP Stage 2 QC
    20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift, Procharged, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq, NO TUNE

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    But, add a K&N filter can void your powertrain warranty, as can tuning if detected, im sure tuning the pcm would void anything to do with your electrical system as well.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"