Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: commited new VIN but no start

Potential Tuner

Smile commited new VIN but no start

Hi All

We just changed yesterday the VIN in another PCM I had programmed by LPE with a generic tunning made for the modifications we had on our C5s (heads, headers, camshaft, ...). The real story is we had TWO exact modified 2000 6speed c5, one of them was sold, so the PCM now goes on the other C5 => need to change the VIN. This way we can also keep the stock PCM as a spare ...

I commited - I guess this is the right word - the VIN changed (15s/30s/30s/30s/30s/). The car starts but only for one second as if the VIN was wrong. The fact is that now the VIN is right (we re-read the content of the PCM to check this ; I closed VCM edit then reread it, looked at "calibration properties", the new VIN now is the right one, the one we expected).

I'm really lost now. I really can't see what could be wrong as nothing else looks wrong.

Ok... I must add that before doing the Commit/15s/30s/30s/30s/30s/ (which obviously worked) ... and reading the forum archives and user manual I had done rewrite VIN/VATS/unlock WITHOUT 15s/30s/30s/30s/30s thinking it was the way to do it. Anyway, it doesn't look like (at least I hope...) it had any adverse effect on our PCM as the car starts but only for one short second. (If we put back the stock PCM, the car works fine).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

zr1_racer

2000 6 speed Corvette C5
    LPE heads, GT2-3 camshaft, LGPro long tube headers, LPE reprogrammed PCM

Check here for the 30 Minute VATS relearn procedure as well.
    Always Support Our Troops!

sounds like you need to relink the VATS. If the file you used to change the VIN was not from the original vehicle then that is definitely the case.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Thank you Chris and Super Moderator for your replies.

zr1-racer

Potential Tuner

Unhappy still no start

Hi Chris, EC_Tune and all.

My friend and I were back on our C5 this morning...

We followed the detailed process explained here.

The first problem we had to face was what is written doesn't match accurately the behaviour of our software in real.

For instance, it's written:

2) Open VCM Editor and select "Relink VATS" from the "Flash" menu. The Relink VATS form will appear.
    3) Put the key in the ignition and turn to the ON position (do not start the vehicle).

Well if you do this, you get that:

Instead, we had first to turn the key to the ON position to establish the communication through the OBD2 socket *then* we were able to click "Relink VATS".

Anyway ... after several attempts of the whole process, it didn't work either.

So we tried the other possibility, the 30 minutes one:

In the same manner, the step by step process didn't match what we experienced either.

For instance, on the ON position, the security light never blinks. You have to put back the ignition to the OFF position to be able to wait 10 minutes before the light goes off (yes it did, we waited and counted).

Secondly, switching ON the ignition by turning the key doesn't switch on the dash and so on. You have also to press the switch from the remote control of the security system (which we have on the key holder) to put it to the ON position. So, you guess it, we did it by turning ON the key AND switching on the security remote switch each time we were asked to turn on the key.

Maybe a sensitive detail is that We're working on a EURO c5. A lot of them were equiped (by the importer or in Bowling Green, I don't know) with the same certified security system, from the unique brand TEXALARM. (Our other 2000 C5 I had bought new in 2000 had the same "oem" security system).

Anyway, even doing our best, trying to annalize and imagine every possible combinations, each time the car started for less than a second then shut off. The ECM seems to work but it looks like this

new ECM is not recognized as the right ECM on the car.

Any help will be welcomed, my buddy and I are quite lost. We would be really greatful to get a way to sort this out.

Thanks

Zr1_racer

... working on 2000 6 speed Corvette C5
    LPE heads, GT2-3 camshaft, LGPro long tube headers, 2004 intake manifold, 28.8 injectors, ported throttle body, Vortex Ram Air system, Borla mufflers, LPE reprogrammed PCM.
    Last edited by zr1_racer; 07-07-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Just you understand well what I wrote :

Quote Originally Posted by zr1_racer
    Hi Chris, EC_Tune and all.

My friend and I were back on our C5 this morning...

We followed the detailed process explained here.

The first problem we had to face was what is written doesn't match accurately the behaviour of our software in real.

For instance, it's written:

2) Open VCM Editor and select "Relink VATS" from the "Flash" menu. The Relink VATS form will appear.
    3) Put the key in the ignition and turn to the ON position (do not start the vehicle).

Well if you do this, you get that:

Instead, we had first to turn the key to the ON position to establish the communication through the OBD2 socket *then* we were able to click "Relink VATS".

Anyway ... after several attempts of the whole process, it didn't work either.
    I wrote this not because I couldn't got through this but because I think there are then several possibilities:
    - does the help file need an update / fix this? (invert step 2 and 3)
    - is there a different electric power setup of the ignition key on euro specs c5s? is there a different power setup of obd2 socket in some cars (pin16 if I remember well)? Some kind of permanent power source that we didn't get in our case?
    - may the installation of security systems on cars not prevent but alter the follow up of the process as describe in the help file?

Well I was just trying to help others if one day they encounter such problem...

Quote Originally Posted by zr1_racer
    So we tried the other possibility, the 30 minutes one:

In the same manner, the step by step process didn't match what we experienced either.

For instance, on the ON position, the security light never blinks. You have to put back the ignition to the OFF position to be able to wait 10 minutes before the light goes off (yes it did, we waited and counted).

Secondly, switching ON the ignition by turning the key doesn't switch on the dash and so on. You have also to press the switch from the remote control of the security system (which we have on the key holder) to put it to the ON position. So, you guess it, we did it by turning ON the key AND switching on the security remote switch each time we were asked to turn on the key.

Maybe a sensitive detail is that We're working on a EURO c5. A lot of them were equiped (by the importer or in Bowling Green, I don't know) with the same certified security system, from the unique brand TEXALARM. (Our other 2000 C5 I had bought new in 2000 had the same "oem" security system).

Anyway, even doing our best, trying to annalize and imagine every possible combinations, each time the car started for less than a second then shut off. The ECM seems to work but it looks like this

new ECM is not recognized as the right ECM on the car.

Any help will be welcomed, my buddy and I are quite lost. We would be really greatful to get a way to sort this out.

Thanks

Zr1_racer

... working on 2000 6 speed Corvette C5
    LPE heads, GT2-3 camshaft, LGPro long tube headers, 2004 intake manifold, 28.8 injectors, ported throttle body, Vortex Ram Air system, Borla mufflers, LPE reprogrammed PCM.

So now what can we do?

Do you have hptuner customers who worked on vats of eurospecs c5s?

Do you have any experience of bad PCM causing such unsuccessfull vats relink processes?

What do you advise me to do? Would disabling VATS in the software be a way to test if the problem comes from elsewhere?

Thank you.
    Last edited by zr1_racer; 07-08-2007 at 01:11 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
    Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
    Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
    Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes or until DTC P1630 sets.
    Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF and wait 30 seconds.
    Attempt to start the engine.

Tim
    GM World Class Technician
    ASE Master Auto Technician
    L1 Certification
    2001 Silverado 6.0L Swap

Tuner
    We are experiencing this similar problem starting my 1996 GMC Sierra K1500 with Gen III truck ECM. We have VATS disabled in the HPTuner software, do we still need to relink the VATS or is there anything else we need to do to get the engine to run for more than a second...

post your hpt. file and codes ( if any )

Tuner
    Ok, give me a little bit to download them, in the mean time here's a video. you can see what's going on.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OW1uR7BFPzQ

Tuner
    Here's the .HPT file we are starting with. We have VATS disabled but it is still acting like the security is enabled.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

any codes?

is T.A.C module data availble?

Tuner
    Transmission data is included in the PCM data, no codes other than emissions.

Advanced Tuner
    Try setting codes P1626 and P1631 to no error reported.

Tim
    L1 Certification
    2001 Silverado 6.0L Swap

Potential Tuner

Campbell

I went under dtc's and those 2 codes are not checked for setting the MIL, is there a different area you are talking about?

Potential Tuner

Campbell

I found where to change it to "no reported codes" and it still won't stay running.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfixx
    I found where to change it to "no reported codes" and it still won't stay running.
    Which vehicle are you working on now? There seems to be three different people with similiar problems.

Tim
    L1 Certification
    2001 Silverado 6.0L Swap

Tuner
    Tim, sorry for the confusion. Myself and Speedfixx are working on the same vehicle.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm wondering if switching VATS security type to PWM like the Grand Am's would disable it.

Tim
    L1 Certification
    2001 Silverado 6.0L Swap