Thread: Yank ss4000 Lock Up Issue?????

Potential Tuner

Yank ss4000 Lock Up Issue?????

i have a FLT Stage 4 4L60e trans with a Yank SS400 converter. everything has worked fine on the car since i have had the setup and Speed Inc tuned the trans....roughly 3 months of driving on it.

recently i have been getting the P0757 code. I talked with Chuck at FLT and he said that the converter sometimes throws this code and to delete it out of the system.....this has been done.

my problem is that for the last couple of weeks while i have been throwing the code my converter is not locking up. there are no SES lights on currently. and the codes are deleted.

I have read on some other sites that the misfire tables need to be maxed out, but i have tried this and the converter will not lockup. even when i try to manually lock it up through HP Tuners it will not.

what could be causing this problem? is it possible that i have a bad converter?

Senior Tuner
    It could be the converter or the transmission, good luck getting either the trans or converter manufacturer to admit their product could be at "fault" and look into this at no charge to you. It typically becomes a pissing match between the two. I have seen it be equally the trans, as well as the converter. One thing is for sure, it is not in the tune ... but rather a mechanical issue. The good thing about your case is that both of those companies have a very good reputation and should be willing to help.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    It could be the converter or the transmission, good luck getting either the trans or converter manufacturer to admit their product could be at "fault" and look into this at no charge to you. It typically becomes a pissing match between the two. I have seen it be equally the trans, as well as the converter. One thing is for sure, it is not in the tune ... but rather a mechanical issue. The good thing about your case is that both of those companies have a very good reputation and should be willing to help.
    I agree... they are both awesome to deal with. I am just suprised because it worked and then all of a sudden it stopped. I have a buddy with the same setup and his just stopped and it doing the same now.

i havent contacted Yank yet, but i think that will be the next course of action

thanks for your input.
    2002 Z28 - Dart Pro Heads, Comp Cam, Kooks Headers, Kooks ORY, GMMG, FLT Stage 4 4L60e, Yank SS4000, Moser 9"
    Best to date is 11.75@115

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002SilverZ28
    i have a FLT Stage 4 4L60e trans with a Yank SS400 converter. everything has worked fine on the car since i have had the setup and Speed Inc tuned the trans....roughly 3 months of driving on it.

recently i have been getting the P0757 code. I talked with Chuck at FLT and he said that the converter sometimes throws this code and to delete it out of the system.....this has been done.

my problem is that for the last couple of weeks while i have been throwing the code my converter is not locking up. there are no SES lights on currently. and the codes are deleted.

I have read on some other sites that the misfire tables need to be maxed out, but i have tried this and the converter will not lockup. even when i try to manually lock it up through HP Tuners it will not.

what could be causing this problem? is it possible that i have a bad converter?
    I've had this happen to my '98 Vette H/C Lt's 3.42's LS6 mani Yank 3200 stall - That is this code P0757

I ended up being the 1-2 shift solenoid according to my book and it seems to effect the 4th gear lock-up - for the 1-2 shift solenoid is supposed to be on in 4th gear-

Done so far -(at first at the tranny shop we replaced the TCC Solenoid and the PMW this helped but not enough it still did not want to stay locked-up in 4th on the freeway)

So I investigated my Helms book and found out that it is the 1-2 shift solenoid(and it must be in the "ON" position in order for it to lock-up in 4th - It has a table that shows this)

I talked to the Tranny Mechanic here at my yard (City of LA) he does all the tranny's (4l60E +) he suggested that the solenoid will cause the tranny to act this way. So I asked would it be reasonable to replace all the solenoids?

So this is what I'm doing this week and will let you know the outcome!

Doug at LAPD (The Tuner for LA performance Division) is helpng with all the buggs(He is the one who has tuned the Vette!)

Hope this helps some!

I'll get back to you soon!

Thanks,Matt
    Last edited by EC_Tune; 07-25-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Found the issue with Matt's car. One of the misfire tables wasn't desensitized enough causing the TCC to unlock at low loads when the PCM detected "misfire".

Used the Misfire.cfg to find it...
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Found the issue with Matt's car. One of the misfire tables wasn't desensitized enough causing the TCC to unlock at low loads when the PCM detected "misfire".

Used the Misfire.cfg to find it...

This absoloutly correct as EC_Tune Said! and now it runs awesome and has NO Issues at all!

Thanks Doug

Thanks,Matt
    RIP - '98 LS1 Vette!
    E-MAIL - [email protected] Cell 661-406-7516

Bolt on Mods with an A4 and 3:15's:---------322RWHP and 327RWTQ
    TFS Head,Cam,Kooks LT's,Hi-FlowCats,X-Pipe:400RWHP and 400RWTQ
    New Cam Yank 3200 Stall, 3.42's-------------423RWHP and 399RWTQ
    ProCharger P1SC 3.85" Pulley 7.6 PSI Boost:565RWHP and 483RWTQ
    Meth Injection2BAR SDTune(Est720 HP@Crank):591RWHP and 496RWTQ
    Forged 347 3.7" Pulley FlipDrive, 14.4 PSI of B@@ST 701RWHP and 582RWTQ

Senior Tuner
    Way to go Doug!

Sometimes I actually pay attention... LOL

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002SilverZ28
    even when i try to manually lock it up through HP Tuners it will not.
    Would the misfire tables not let HPTuners lock it up manually

---Never mind, just noticed that it was Matt's that was fixed by the misfire tables, not the original poster.

Using the Scanner you will be able to lock it up manually if there is no issue with the converter itself.

Will I have to do the same to my 98 LS1 when I install my New Yank SS4000?
    Matt can you post you corrected tune. Im getting Ready to install a Yank SS4000 into my 98 LS1. or you can PM me and I will give you my e-amil address.
    98 TransAm WS9 Raim Air – Stage 4 4L60E Trans -3:90 Rear -1.8 HS Rockers - Full UMI Suspension – 85MM Lid – 85MM Z06 MAF - LS6 Z06 Intake - 224/230 Comp Cam - 7.350 Push Rods - 243 TEA Stage 2 LS6 Heads 61cc - Melling 10296 Oil Pump - Caddy Race Lifters - SLP Underdrive Pulley - 160 Thermo - 42# Green Top Injectors - HPT - SLP Line lock - Pacesetter LTube Headers - Yank SS4000 - 98 to 2002 PCM Swap www.mrk-motorsports.com

You can turn off misfire detection as a diagnostic. Then if the TCC locks and stays locked it's just a matter of adjusting the misfire tables for your engine.