Thread: Wideband O2's / Offset Voltages / How to

Wideband O2's / Offset Voltages / How to

Ok...so you've bought yourself a Wideband O2 sensor....
    and you get it all hooked up....
    and you suddenly realize that something isnt quite right....
    and you realize that you have an offset voltage....

so what do you do...

well..this is the "How to"

For this example I will use an LC1 because thats what I use

For Reference The Formula itself is
    Volts/ [(0~Max Voltage)/(max AFR - Min AFR)] + [min AFR +any offsets in AFR values]

First lets start with setting up your Wideband itself
    there should be some sort of way to program it or it should come with a set of instructions telling you what its AFR range should be and What its Voltage Range should be

I like to set things to be
    0v=10AFR
    5v=18AFR

this makes our Formula for HPTuners
    volts/0.625 + 10
    in this diagram we also see that our 14.7 crossing point(which can also be mathematically figured) is 2.95 volts

so next step is to set our outputs to = 2.95 volts so we can connect to the scanner and find out what offsets we have if any at all.

in our scanner we need to set up a histogram so that we can check our offsets.
    basically like this is what I use

Custom Aux Input PID

Custom Histogram

thenwe can see what our actual readin is with an average over the course or several seconds...and its our actual reading in HPT Scanner as well..

if you see anything other than 14.7 then you need to adjust your formula slightly
    as an example
    if you saw an average of 14.5 then you woule need to shift your minimum AFR by 0.2
    so the new formula would be
    volts/0.625 + 10.2
    if you saw 14.9 then it would be the other direction
    volts/0.625 + 9.8
    we never change our actual steps calculation (0.625 figured from 5volts range/8AFR range)

then once we have our scanner showing 14.7 we set our wideband back to the
    0v=10AFR
    5v=18AFR

and then we are ready to start tuning

for those that say their wideband is set up to do 5 volts and its only outputting 4.8 volts or something like that...dont worry about it
    your calculation internally is still set up to take the same size steps...in our example 0.625
    most of our "cheap/budget" widebands cant really output their extreme end voltages properly...meaning it cant really output 0volts(a dead short) and it cany really output 5volts(its extreme max)
    internally it gets truncated when it hits the physical limits
    the stuff in the middle is still correct and still moving at the same step size determined by the physical math of the calculation

also on some devices when you input a value it my get truncated to the nearest hexidecimal value internally...
    on the LC1 it equates to 18AFR turning into 17.99..not enough to make any real difference...its not rocket science....yet...
    Last edited by S2H; 04-15-2007 at 09:30 AM.
    -Scott -

When I was setting up my LM1 to work with my Hptuner. I set the LM1 analog output 2 to a constant voltage to figure out my correction factor but
    the data logged by the Hptuner was not a flat line like I expected it was a waveform that was sorta flat but varied around .164 Volts. Is this normal ?

Thanks >>>>> INTHERED
    LINGENFELTER MAGNACHARGED 2000 A4 Torch Red Z51 Vert, Smoothline HT, LPE IC Magnacharger, Z06 cam, LPE CNC heads, CC RPM kit, LPE hood, Yank 2800, Rossler trans, Z06 rear w/300Ms, Chrome C6 Z06 rims w/PS2s, Z06 calipers w/PF carbon metallics , Eradispeeds, WCC screens, BBK 80mm TB, TB bypass, 160 TS, GM Z06 MAF, Blackwing, Corsa Pace, AR headers X-pipe & Hiflow Cats, GM HP wires, NGK TR6s, Hptuned by INTHERED with a best 1/4 mile of 10.87 @ 128.90 mph on BFG DRs

Quote Originally Posted by INTHERED
    When I was setting up my LM1 to work with my Hptuner. I set the LM1 analog output 2 to a constant voltage to figure out my correction factor but
    the data logged by the Hptuner was not a flat line like I expected it was a waveform that was sorta flat but varied around .164 Volts. Is this normal ?

Thanks >>>>> INTHERED
    it will vary some..cheap wideband...cheap output DAC's
    -Scott -