Thread: Why is my timing Higher or Lower than My Commanded Timing?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Why is my timing Higher or Lower than My Commanded Timing?

We see alot of threads where people ask a question like:

I have my High & low octane tables both set to 25* of timing but yet when I look at my scanner files its only showing 20* of timing...where is my timing going & why is it so low when im commanding more?

The first thing you need to check is all your adder & multiplyer tables ie ECT adder, ECT multiplyer, IAT adder, IAT multiplyer, AFR adder, AFR multiplyer, etc.

alot of the time your scan log will show you at say 130*F & your IAT adder table will be commanding negative 5 or 6* of timing at that point...that means its pulling that much timing.

And on LS1 pcm's you fortunatly can log things like IAT advance, burst knock retard, etc. which can help YOU narrow down what the issue is.

A little studying of your scan file & parameters within the editor can really open your eyes to a lot of these "little" things.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Also, understand that if you command 28º of timing and see 27º or so with all your IAT/ECT/burst knock stuff zeroed, it is somewhat normal. So if you are only 0.5º low or so, it is most likely the way the values are reported/rounded/stored.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    TTT I know its a sticky but everyone should read this if they already haven't.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Also if your file has a min spark advance table check that one too.