Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista64 business MPVI drivers...

Potential Tuner

Vista64 business MPVI drivers...

Was able to install 2.1.16 onto my laptop with no issues other than the missing .dll file which was easily fixed due to posts on this forum...

However, when I connected my MPVI device, the drivers would not install. Vista gave me some BS about how the drivers were not digitally signed and therefore "no install". My interface would show up in the device manager as HP Tuners MPVI Channel's A and B but they had the yellow exclamation.

I uninstalled and tried to reinstall many, many times using the instructions on this forum, trying both the 64-bit drivers on my original CD (2.1.12) and the 64-bit drivers linked to on this forum but always would error out (code 39).

Long story short, I ended up at the FTDI website and found this combined driver model (D2XX and VCP) that is Microsoft WHQL Certified (at least up to xp64) LINK: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm (the file is called CDM_x64_setup.exe)

I installed the drivers manually, (like the Sticky: MPVI USB driver installation) and now my device shows up (without error) as USB serial converter A and B. The VCM Editor was then able to communicate with my MPVI device and pull the licensing information from it.

Finally, I connected the laptop to my car, did a "Read Entire" which was successful and also drove around using the VCM Scanner. Everything seems to be working and logging properly.

So, is this a legitimate solution or am I just some wacky computer scientist who's going to kill his ECM/TCM the next time he writes to it?

BTW
    1. I turned off the lame "allow or deny" feature (called "User Account Control")
    2. if you get "admin rights" issue, right click and select "run as admin"
    3. problems installing xp software? Right click --> properties --> run in windows xp compatible mode (SP 2)
    Last edited by Ninjured; 03-01-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like they both kinda-sorta match up. Filename wise they don't.

if you look at the uninstall infs..
    Device=VID_0403&PID_D018 <--- PID_D018 is missing from the newer version you posted.

the dll files for the usb driver are 3.1.6.1 for the non WHQL one and 3.1.7.1 for the new one.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to install the newer ones on a XP64 computer. I don't do any VCM writing on my desktop.. my laptop is x86..

How hard would it be for someone to put together a neat little zip file like the "HPT_MPVI_Drivers-64.zip" posted previously?

I also saw new Windows CE stuff. heh.. All I would need was my phone (Samsung i730).. Would be a nice deal for those that don't have the MPVI-Pro (I do). Clearing codes with my phone.. now that'd be cool!

Advanced Tuner
    Running Vista64 right now.. I used "FTDIBUS.sys" from the CDM 2.00.00 x64 zip... renamed it to FTD2XX.sys and dropped it in the hpt x64 drivers directory. I also used the security catalog file (renamed from FTDIBUS.cat to ftd2xx.cat). I dropped the FTDIUNIN.exe from the CDM 2.00.00 x64 zip into the system32 dir..

This was done after I had pointed to hpt x64 drivers directory for drivers and began getting those error codes.. I then placed the aforementioned files in the directories stated and clicked "scan for hardware changes in device manager".. and tada. device manager isn't bitching about this or that.

I'm having the same issue. Blades, could you maybe dial down your lingo a little closer to English, so some of the rest of us might understand the solution? Also, I can't even figure out how to find, let alone how, to download from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm.
    Thanks.

Well, I found what to click on to download. It wasn't highlighted on my laptop before, or maybe I need glasses.

Ive tried everything including this to try and get my drivers to install, i keep getting a code 39. something about driver is corrupt or missing and cant be loaded. Anyone have any other ideas to get it loaded?

Edit: ok so i got it installed without any errors but it still cant find the MPVI in HPT to license it. any ideas?
    Last edited by LSXGOAT; 09-18-2007 at 12:10 PM.

I should have new vista and x64 drivers up later today, the main driver thread will be updated.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

SWEET!! i cant wait to be able to use HPT again after 2 months!!!

posted here, please try them and report back:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34054

Tuner in Training
    Just FYI, on the Business (x64) version of windows, the Kernel does not allow you to load unsigned drivers. You can install them but they will not start. The way around that is to reboot, after the PC Posts, hit F8 and scroll down to "disable signed driver enforcement" or whatever it says. I cannot see it right now but that would let them work.
    2007 GMC Sierra Z71 SLT Crew Cab 4x4 6.0L 4l70e
    Modifications: True Flow Cold air Intake, HPTuned (Removed HUGE PE Delay, Added 30 to speed limiter, modified AFM/DOD for mileage increase)

Ok thanks for the info, we'll have to add that to our support documentation.

Tuner in Training
    Just to make it easier for people that are not a Geek like me....
    Attachment 8564
    Modifications: True Flow Cold air Intake, HPTuned (Removed HUGE PE Delay, Added 30 to speed limiter, modified AFM/DOD for mileage increase)

If I understand it correctly this has to be done each time you boot up though. I posted another thread with links on how to use a kernel debugger to get around it also.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    You are correct on both points. It does have to be done everytime you reboot and you can do it by enable Kernel debugging. The only scary part of that is it completely disables the 64 bit os's capability to not load unsigned drivers/malicious drivers. If you were to only use the PC for tuning and did NOTHING else on it, I would use enable the developers debugger, if it is a laptop that you use for other things, it would be safer to just disable the enforcement on a per-boot basis so nothing bad (Virus) happens.

Just my $.02

I have HPT USB drivers that I installed 5-2-07 and can't uninstall. I uninstalled the drivers that I installed a few weeks ago so that I could use the ones from yesterday. That's when I noticed the old ones, and I remember this happening before. I get the message "FTDI uninstaller has stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution."
    The drivers that I installed from yesterday supposedly installed, but...
    Last edited by MikeGyver; 09-20-2007 at 02:38 PM.

... Editor or Scanner can't connect. I have Vista Ultimate. Is the old driver the reason it won't connect? I have since replaced the hard drive in my old laptop, and HPTuners works fine with Windows XP.
    (I didn't know that I clicked on the "post quick reply" button for yesterdays incomplete posting.)

Any ideas? Or tips on how to delete it?

You can uninstall the drivers through the device manager while the mpvi interface is connected.

Hot damn, I have HP Tuners on Vista now! I was trying to delete the MPVI drivers through "change/uninstall programs" in "control panel".
    Except when I opened Scanner, it wouldn't load the wide band custom pid that Windows XP did load.
    So I plan to scan and edit on the XP laptop, email the changes to myself, and put them on the Vista laptop for backup. I also have an external hard drive that I bought to backup the new laptop, and there are some Vista issues with it. If it works with XP, I'll have 2 backups for HPT.
    After frying my first XP hard drive with a glass of water and losing all of my HPT data, I don't think that having triple backup is overkill, considering all the extra work that it created.

Tuner
    Has anyone tried the new drivers from FTDI?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

I'm curious if they are digitally signed like they say or if we still have to bypass pre-startup to load the drivers in Vista Business 64?