Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench harness

Bench harness

Simple novice question; what connections do I need on an LSJ P12 for a bench harness?
    - All +12v feeds + grounds on the ecm?
    - The communication line from ecm to OBD (obvious, but which of the 2?)
    - 12v feed OBD
    - ground OBD

Or is this to simple?

thxs

Thxs for the link, but $70,- seems a bit expensive for something I still need to modify for the HPT OBD connector...
    http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn..._extension.jpg

Power connections LSJ P12 ECM:

C1-20 [Batt 12V]

C1-15 [IMO/DIAGN] => OBD p2 (what's up with the extra C1-16 datapin?)

C1-19 [+12V switched by key]

I need a ground from somewhere, but don't see a ground wire in C1:
    GND = P12 ecm body + C2-73 [ground]

Probably don't need those connection for ECM programming:

C1-38 [ecm switched gnd for power relay]

C1-13 [switched 12V from power relay]

And for the fun of it => C1-40 [MIL light]

http://www.speartech.com/

Look under programming harnesses.

I am not sure if they have one for the LSJ ECU, I haven't looked on there for a while.

Even more expensive than the 1st! A new C1 connector is about $12,-, so will fab something up myself.

OK, my simple bench harness ($5,- parts) works flawless.
    Able to read entire 2 LSJ P12 pcm's (2004 Redline Ion and a 2006 Cobalt SS).

The third "P12 pcm" (looks identical and sold to me as from an 06 Cobalt) gives an access denied error and has a strange VIN nr. (decoded as Chevrolet Malibu 2,2 L61??)
    Is this PCM tunerlocked or a VIN/OS mismatch??

Could be TF Tuned previously. He switched his programming to not allow reads thru HPT if it was tuned by him.

This problematic pcm is the one I thought would be the safest, as I bought that one from Morad back in Nov 2007 for my project. (#2589320, written on it from a from an 06 Cobalt.)
    Could have a locked Trifecta tune on it, but no idea how to find out.

Tuner in Training
    What OSID is written to it? That is usually the dead giveaway of a trifecta tune.

edit: nm just looked at the attachment.

And, does the OS make sense?

Tuner in Training
    I'm trying to find out what OSID that is, but it definitely doesn't look like the traditional locking mechanism trifecta uses. He usually uses a totally wierd looking one to track customers in the field. Something like "0532301", etc.

Nick, do you know how recent this change was? The only other form of security I know he uses is a serial check that makes sure your PCM is the one your tune was created for, which wouldn't cause the symptoms were seeing here..

Speedy, can you try this?

Open a compare file, then go to Write VATS/VIN. Let it start. It will crash.

Then try to write to it again. It should recognize it as an interrupted write and try to recover it. Recovery mode should ignore any special coding thats on the PCM, if any.

Over the summer at least. I know Im not able to read ANY TF car that has come to me. One of the first cars that I converted from TF to HPT (over a year ago) I was able to read, everyone after that fails out. He confirmed he sets it like that intentionally.

This is also what I know for LNF's, Im honestly not sure if he even does the samething on the LSJs

Tuner in Training
    Ok, yeah that explains why LNFs keep their regular OSID and are simply unreadable, while LSJs have a different one. I'll bet its just another limitation of the P12.

In that case, this may not be a trifecta locked PCM, but possibly something else altogether. Let me know if you're able to crash it and flash it. That usually works for me when I find myself in a sticky situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyros777 View Post

Speedy, can you try this?

Open a compare file, then go to Write VATS/VIN. Let it start. It will crash.

Then try to write to it again. It should recognize it as an interrupted write and try to recover it. Recovery mode should ignore any special coding thats on the PCM, if any.
    You have to help a newby here, as the above makes no sense to me.

Open a compare: From what step and then compare with what? I first have to open a file before I can compare to anything. And I cannot access/save this pcm's file... (And don't want to license anything yet)
    GoTo Write Vats/VIN: Where is that? I have 2.22 and don't see that option... (I loaded a stock 2006GM st2 tune and the access denied PCM is connected.)

Tuner in Training
    Hmm.. maybe I misunderstood somewhere.

Ok, so when you go to read it, it thinks its a 2004 cavalier, although the VIN validates as an 04 malibu (http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1g1zs52f14f228360).

I still can't tell what OSID 12589740 belongs to since we don't have any 04 malibu's in the repository, but Its not a cavalier (12586586). I'm willing to bet it is a legit Malibu OSID since I highly doubt this PCM was ever modified.

My theory is that if the VIN and OSID both check out as belonging to Malibu, yet HPT think they're cavalier, then you may need to submit a support request to have it corrected.

I'd suggest you email [email protected] and ask them to first validate what OSID 12589740 belongs to, then ask them to update the software due to this problem (been there before and theyre pretty quick about it).
    Last edited by Pyros777; 01-11-2011 at 06:50 PM.

You can also interupt the power as it enters that flash mode (the vcm clicks)? Just a thought lol.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedytec View Post

The third "P12 pcm" (looks identical and sold to me as from an 06 Cobalt) gives an access denied error and has a strange VIN nr. (decoded as Chevrolet Malibu 2,2 L61??)
    You likely just need the newest beta, contact support
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    You can also interupt the power as it enters that flash mode (the vcm clicks)? Just a thought lol.
    lol stop thinking then!!

nah I've thought of doing that before too but I just wouldn't want to risk cutting the power like that. I'd rather have it crap out on its own. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I did already...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedytec View Post

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"