Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS2 Tuning Guide

Advanced Tuner

LS2 Tuning Guide

This Doco came from the LS2 basic tuning guide that can be found in the stickys'. I've modified some of the content, and tuned my Ls2 GTO with it. it's still very basic, but i tried to add a little bit more content to it, i'm sure i'll add more as needed. suggestions are welcome. You can tune anything newest than E40 with it, MAF wise, VE have to be done with the Ve calc which can be found here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26884

Download LS2 Tuning Guide 01262010.hpt, The file is 2mb and change. to post it, i've renamed the extension from .doc ( MS Word 2003-2007 format) to .hpt
    Download the file, rename the extension to .doc and that's it.

You'll need MS Word to open up the file, if you don't have MS Word installed in your PC/Laptop, you can download and install the MS Word viewer. this one is free, but it won't allow you to make changes, just to view,print and copy word documents: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I've also uploaded some config files as well.

Enjoy.

Noted, added a little change in the guide at 4:30PM EST 01/26/2010, so download it again if you already did.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 03-02-2010 at 01:37 AM.

Senior Tuner
    You NEVER attempt to tune idle first. Fueling ALWAYS comes first, and THEN and ONLY THEN can you start even attempting to tune idle.

Furthermore, you do NOT add spark for bigger cams. This is a VERY common myth. You generally REMOVE spark. Most large cams prefer around 15 degrees in the idle spark tables, whereas smaller cams between there and low 20s.

I haven't read any further into the tuning guide, so I can't comment any further at this time.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    You NEVER attempt to tune idle first. Fueling ALWAYS comes first, and THEN and ONLY THEN can you start even attempting to tune idle.

Furthermore, you do NOT add spark for bigger cams. This is a VERY common myth. You generally REMOVE spark. Most large cams prefer around 15 degrees in the idle spark tables, whereas smaller cams between there and low 20s.

I haven't read any further into the tuning guide, so I can't comment any further at this time.
    Ouch...now I'm worried what response I'll get in my cam idle tuning thread.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Advanced Tuner

I need to modify the order of events in the guide, i left the idle tuning in the begining for simplicity, but definetely fueling always should come first. and i also need to modify the spark portion for the idle tuning. the last 3 goats i did are all happy with mid to high 23x cams, 800rpm idle and stock base spark tables thanks to your advise.

Tuner
    Hmm, "can't open file, invalid format"?

Tuner in Training
    "It's a MS Word document, which was renamed to .hpt so i could upload the file in our forum. save it, and rename it back to .doc to open it."

Tuner in Training
    LS2 Tuning Guide

Where exactly do I find this guide?

Is there instruction anywhere on this site on how to do spark tuning? I have search and search....

Advanced Tuner
    Bump

Senior Tuner

You add or remove spark based on dynamic cylinder pressure. A large cam will either create more cylinder pressure or less, depends on overlap and there is NO such thing as 'best timing', it's only best timing for the particular combination.

Hey Guys I need a little help understanding the fueling and timing as suggested in this thread and in the LS2 tuning doc that’s posting. I am going to apply all I can from the tuning doc to my 08 Vette A6 480 Hot Cam crate motor. The cam is roughly 225 lift/duration, around 112 113 LSA.

In the guild you talk about the timing matching in the various tables and say a cam of this approx size should be able to run a base Idle Spark advance timing of around 19 degrees. Do I input this timing amount from my Base Idle into the Hi and Lo Octane and Base Idle coast down table in the idle range of those tables as well. That will leave me a big jump into the next cells beyond idle. Do I smooth that transition?

Also I start at this values then work on my Fueling? I have Bill's config and I see where I need to disable LTFT's and Closed Loop to stay in OPEN LOOP during the logging sessions.

Would just turning off Closed Loop in the scanner accomplish the same thing? Also does Closed loop in the scanner As well as Fuel Trim Learn, work the same in that if you turn it ON it's really OFF or does that only apply to the Adaptive Idle on/off?

Thanks. With some of these write ups I am getting better. It's only taken a year so far to get to where I am.

I think the tune I have loaded is probably fairly jacked at this point with all the changes. I'll start this procedure with a fresh stock tune although the car will barely run on it. I firmly believe the fueling is at the heart of my problems I am having.

The recent change in my Stoich value to compensate for the E-10 fuel in our area made a huge difference.

Thanks all!

Advanced Tuner
    I'll show what i did in my 06 GTO so you can have a better idea, i'm including a stock 06 GTO stock so you can compare both tunes. the cam was a 228/228 112 lsa on a smaller 364ci engine. i guess that hotcam shouldn't need much to run great on a bigger engine. no need to play with the coastdown timing, especially if you're using Bill's idle tuning procedure which is at the end of the guide i posted, put that coastdown value back to stock.

Also, you'll need to have the fueling worked out first before you run the tuning idle procedure, it'll make it easier if your fuel is spot on at idle using VE only, or MAF only. you could use MAF only to dial your fuel at idle since your cam is not that big and reversion shouldn't be an issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 03-01-2010 at 10:55 PM.

This will be a different approach. I have compared a lot of tunes but never got it. I think comparing your changes to your stock will tell me a lot.

On the compare my first question is why the engine size difference? Final airflow table nothing after 100 rpm's?

I am understanding the fueling better and I will work on that first. I looked over the timing and it seems to be in defiance of the tuning guide in the matching of the tables. I understand getting them close but in your Hi Octane and Base Idle it's 10 degrees different. Is this considered close in general?

I changed my timing today just to see what effect it would have having the tables match in the idle cells. I set them first to 26 degrees and had a funky feel to it. I then dropped them to 21 degrees and actually ran pretty good. This was running mostly stock tune. I think it could go lower but I'll wait till I get the fuel dialed in.

I curious to try this systematic approach. I have been hitting and missing till the tune was completely whack.

It's been near impossible to get my wide band installed on my stock manifold so I'll have to start first using the STFT's.

If you can shed some insight to the above initial questions maybe this will become a little clearer to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    I'll show what i did in my 06 GTO so you can have a better idea, i'm including a stock 06 GTO stock so you can compare both tunes. the cam was a 228/228 112 lsa on a smaller 364ci engine. i guess that hotcam shouldn't need much to run great on a bigger engine. no need to play with the coastdown timing, especially if you're using Bill's idle tuning procedure which is at the end of the guide i posted, put that coastdown value back to stock.

Also, you'll need to have the fueling worked out first before you run the tuning idle procedure, it'll make it easier if your fuel is spot on at idle using VE only, or MAF only. you could use MAF only to dial your fuel at idle since your cam is not that big and reversion shouldn't be an issue.

Advanced Tuner
    I did the engine size to match what the LS2 engine size should be. i think some GM tuner did a little mistake in the calculation ? j/k, there were some threads about LS2 engine size not been reported as they should in the tune, so i just used what a 364ci engine should have. i did open a thread about, do a search and you'll see the responses i had.

Also, I had stock base idle timing, only for the idle cells in that table, check the g/cyl and rpm cells where you car is at when idling. the rest of the base idle timing table is done to kind of blend the values with the Hi octane table. if you're going to match tables, you can do that with the Hi/Lo for tuning timing purposes, then lower the Lo by 4 or so total, and then copy the idle cells from the Hi table into the Lo table so the idle cells are the same in both tables when you're done.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 03-02-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Question, I tried to open your tune Current_Sep091609_SD_MAF_49_PE_LTs.hpt and got an message that 'index is outside bounds of array". What does that mean?

It means the file was created with a version of the beta (2.23) and you have 2.22.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by cjfast View Post
    Question, I tried to open your tune Current_Sep091609_SD_MAF_49_PE_LTs.hpt and got an message that 'index is outside bounds of array". What does that mean?
    You need 2.23 beta version. Email support for it.

Advanced Tuner
    2004 colorado with 2007 GMC savana van 4.8L motor.
    -28lb / hr injectors
    -06 GTO intake fuel rails
    -06 SSR throttle body Mass air flow sensor gas pedal, E40 computer
    -LS2 knock sensors
    -injector top at spacers with 1/4 washers
    -Luk clutch
    -OBX 1 3/4" stainless steel long tube headers, and high flow cats for 06 trailblazer SS

-front o2s heater wired to be constantly on heater codes turned off.

I was comparing my camp specs stock LR4 Gm # 1256097 191/190 .457/.466 114

to the 06 SSR, which is the tune I am using GM# 12574519 204/211 0.520/0.520 116

I have changed the cylinder displacement to what it should be for a 4.8L, I changed the injector settings from 42 lb / hr to 28 lb / hr, thats what I am running.

Can high flow cats smell richer than OEM ones? It smells like a old 80s vehicle.

How do I adjust the tune for the smaller (different) cam?

I have purchased a NGK AFX wide band, and need to know how to set it up using the a/c input E40 LS2 PCM

Will this tuning guide work for a E40 it says "anything newest than E40 " does that mean it works on a E40 or not?

For give my ignorance for posting the above questions, if they are in the tuning guide and it works for LS2 E40s then say "read the tuning guide.. NOOB!" And I will thanks -Jamie

Advanced Tuner
    OK I read the guide .. 3 times.. still somewhat confused sounds complicated!

So what is IFR? And how do I change that? How do I know it is correct?

So after I set up the IFR.. Then I dial in the idle by tuning RAF, then I Tune the MAF, then the PE tables, then VE tables, then spark tales in that order?

How do I disable COT, DFCO,DOD,CFCO when equipped .

How do I log plot values against other plot values?

Advanced Tuner
    Question do I need to tune idle if it seems to run ok? I have a smaller cam, smaller displacement, smaller injectors, than what the computers stock tables are.

I changed the injectors tables to a 4.8L 07 motor with 28 lb'hr injectors, thats what my engine is from. I also changed the displacement to 0.60080L to match that of a 4.8L.

The engine starts great and idles fine with this tune idles between 600-700 rpm very stable around 650 rpm. It just stinks like it is rich, but shows trims of -5 to -9.4 on idle, and my trims are all over the place along with some spark knock, when driving.

So do I need to mess with the idle settings at all? Or can I just tune MAF, VE, and PE?

The more I read the guide the better I understand it, just don't know in what order to start in? Or what IFR stands for Injector flow ratings would be my best guess, my fuel flow rate verses kpa are in check with my smaller injectors I also changed the pulse rate to the proper settings, does this mean my IFR is setup right?

attached copy of my current tune and log. config files

Advanced Tuner
    MMM tried my hand at Maf tunning as per guide not going so well?? Help? Here is my other thread explaining my issues http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...273#post261273