Thread: aircon clutch disengagement

Tuner in Training

aircon clutch disengagement

Hi

I just fitted an LS3 (E38 PCM) into a 67 Camaro with a TH400. Because I have a drive-by-wire throttle body I was thinking of hooking up the TH400 kick-down from the ECU using the aircon disengagement setting. The theory is that I can set the ECU to trigger the aircon to disengage at WOT and use a circuit to activate a relay for the kick-down. Not even sure if this will work. My queston is which pin on the E38 provides this output? I have seen 3 on the pin diagram which are aircon related - J2-14, J2-43 and J2-18. J2-43 "AC clutch demand" seems the closest.

thanks
    LS3 1984 VK Commodore + LS3 1967 Camaro (cam and ported heads)

using the aircon clutch wouldn't be my choice, many things are required to engage and disengage the AC clutch and many other things can override the AC clutch. if it were me i'd just wire a kickdown switch to the pedal.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    using the aircon clutch wouldn't be my choice, many things are required to engage and disengage the AC clutch and many other things can override the AC clutch. if it were me i'd just wire a kickdown switch to the pedal.
    Ok noted and thanks. That was going to be my default option. I should be able to hook up a microswitch on the pedal assemby.
    LS3 1984 VK Commodore + LS3 1967 Camaro (cam and ported heads)

Don't forget pics for people like me who love this stuff.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap