Thread: Lucas 42 lb. injector data?

Tuner

Lucas 42 lb. injector data?

I picked up a set of Lucas 42lb injectors to use with my new setup. Will the Ford green top data from the Greg Banish DVD work with these, or do they flow differently and need to be tuned as such?

I'd like to fire the car up today with the correct data.
    2004 PBM M6 GTO
    Torquer v.2, Lingenfelter 243s, FAST 90, PTM 92, SVO greentops, SS OTRCAI, SLP LTs, Powerbond UDP

Static Flow Rate: 42.29 lb/hr @ 43.5PSI (300kPa) or 320gm/min
    Static Flow Rate: 48.83 lb/hr @ 58.0PSI (300kPa) or 370gm/min
    Coil Resistance: 12 Ohms / High Impedance / High-Z

P&P Tuning

No. The Lucas injectors have different characteristics than the Bosch (Ford) units. I would strongly recommend the Bosch injectors instead, since we've had much better results with them over the years.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    No. The Lucas injectors have different characteristics than the Bosch (Ford) units. I would strongly recommend the Bosch injectors instead, since we've had much better results with them over the years.
    What problems might I run into with the Lucas injectors over the Bosch ones?

Is there a file floating around anywhere that I can input into HPTuners for the Lucas ones? If not, how do I go about tuning them?
    2004 PBM M6 GTO
    Torquer v.2, Lingenfelter 243s, FAST 90, PTM 92, SVO greentops, SS OTRCAI, SLP LTs, Powerbond UDP

Since the injectors are physically different, their behavior between the time when current is initially applied and when fuel starts flowing in a linear relationship to total open time is different. This means that they'd need unique values in the Injector Offset (vs Volts, MAP) and Short Pulse Adder tables that describe this physical behavior. Even worse, I've yet to see good statistical raw data on the actual mass delivered vs pulsewidth that would be used to create these calibration values in the tune in the first place. Any attempt at tuning these tables without the proper data is, at best, a guess.

Tuner
    Since the injectors are physically different, their behavior between the time when current is initially applied and when fuel starts flowing in a linear relationship to total open time is different. This means that they'd need unique values in the Injector Offset (vs Volts, MAP) and Short Pulse Adder tables that describe this physical behavior. Even worse, I've yet to see good statistical raw data on the actual mass delivered vs pulsewidth that would be used to create these calibration values in the tune in the first place. Any attempt at tuning these tables without the proper data is, at best, a guess.
    Well shit. I'll make you a great deal on a set of injectors.
    2004 PBM M6 GTO

Really about the only way to get the correct data for those injectors is to tune the engine with a set of known injectors with known injector data to dial in the entire tune. Then swap the injectors you have and only tweak on the injector data til you get the tune in line. There is still going to be a slight difference in VE and probably MAF calculations because the pulsewidth and spray pattern will be different from injector to injector but this will be a good starting point to take away the "guess" data like Greg mensioned.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Really about the only way to get the correct data for those injectors is to tune the engine with a set of known injectors with known injector data to dial in the entire tune. Then swap the injectors you have and only tweak on the injector data til you get the tune in line. There is still going to be a slight difference in VE and probably MAF calculations because the pulsewidth and spray pattern will be different from injector to injector but this will be a good starting point to take away the "guess" data like Greg mensioned.
    Thanks for the input. I am completely new to the tuning game, so I feel that would be a little over my head. I'm hunting for some green tops.
    2004 PBM M6 GTO

Advanced Tuner
    The green tops are a damn good injector to upgrade to and a big thanks to Greg for coming up with all of the data for them.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS View Post
    The green tops are a damn good injector to upgrade to and a big thanks to Greg for coming up with all of the data for them.
    X2
    Criminal Motorsports Racing

Tuner in Training
    i have the Lucas 42lb injector data from a fellow tuner. youll have to scab it from another bin file tho.
    2001 Z06 - Forged 347ci LS6, 10.8:1 SCR, TSP 233/239 113LSA, Centerforce DF 12" clutch, Rear end Brace, LPE Hardened output shaft, LPE Launch Control, Ported 243's, B&B bullets, Kooks 1 7/8 Lts, NA 446 Rwhp/406 RWTQ, Nitrous Outlet Plate Kit 725/685wtq

2006 BOM GTO M6 - Lingenfelter Maggie 112H Package, Pedder Big Bore Kit, Rear Insert, Monster Stage 3 Clutch, SLP LMII, Kooks LTs, AIS Meth Kit, 230/236 Blower Cam, 9 PSI Etc.......... 540Rwhp/542Rwtq

Advanced Tuner
    Well What is the data cause i am getting ready to give up on these injectors Short pulse adder,Flow rate VS. KPA,Min injector Pulse,Default injector pulse,Offset Vs. Volts Vs. VAC
    2000 Firebird,2002 O.S.,LQ4 370,Borg Warner S475,truck mani.,Eagle crank,Callies Compstar Rods,Wiseco-11 4.030 pistons 9.4:1 comp.,LS3CNC heads,LS3 intake,NW92mm throttle body,ID1000 injectors,BTR trunion upgrade,LJMS STG3 cam,LS7 Lifters,ARP Studs-bolts,Frozen Boost A to W intercooler,JGS 60MM BOV,2 40mmJGS Wastegates,4L80E trans wth segment swap,CircleD 3400 single disk,MOSER 12 3.31gears ,BMR K-Mem.,2 Walboro 450 pumps,Returnstyle fuelsystem MAGNAFUEL regulator.
    LS1Tech sig KRAZY K 2000 TA

Tuner
    I ended up going with a set of green tops.
    2004 PBM M6 GTO

Advanced Tuner
    well i plan on buying at set of injector dynamics 750cc injectors but these are what is in there and need to make them get buy for a couple of months
    2000 Firebird,2002 O.S.,LQ4 370,Borg Warner S475,truck mani.,Eagle crank,Callies Compstar Rods,Wiseco-11 4.030 pistons 9.4:1 comp.,LS3CNC heads,LS3 intake,NW92mm throttle body,ID1000 injectors,BTR trunion upgrade,LJMS STG3 cam,LS7 Lifters,ARP Studs-bolts,Frozen Boost A to W intercooler,JGS 60MM BOV,2 40mmJGS Wastegates,4L80E trans wth segment swap,CircleD 3400 single disk,MOSER 12 3.31gears ,BMR K-Mem.,2 Walboro 450 pumps,Returnstyle fuelsystem MAGNAFUEL regulator.
    LS1Tech sig KRAZY K 2000 TA

Tuner in Training
    OK guys Greg, I got your CD and the data table for the 42lbs and I have a magnacharger with 42 green tops. Do I need to look for a number to determine if they are Bosch. I watched your video over and over and you do the 39 lbs I can follow along but when I get to the 42 lbs on HP Tuners nothing seems to match. Do I have different green top injectors. I bought the car used. Its a dailey driver but I could not leave it alone it has 10 lbs of boost its an LS6 O3. I have been racking my brain as to why no other tunes I looked at with magnacharger or lingenfelter have the same data. Can you give me a clue I bought the CD and the Tuning school . Thanks.
    03 Z06 Magnacharger, Borla stingers with XP Stainless Headers,KB Boostpump, 42 lbs injectors, 160 stat. CAI3.TPS Motorsports 427 Shifter. AFX Powerdex wide band. TIC clutch master.Monster stage3 with 18 lbs flyweel. AFX wideband. 10LBS boost. ALKYCONTROL methanol injection. DTE Trans Brace, Built MN6, NGK Iridium 7IX , 2 Bar MAP.
    [email protected]
    www.haysauto.com

Tuner in Training
    I took my I phone out and got a picture of the numbers on the side.
    30150558 were on the side. That was cast in the green.
    Thanks
    Kelly
    03 Z06 Magnacharger, Borla stingers with XP Stainless Headers,KB Boostpump, 42 lbs injectors, 160 stat. CAI3.TPS Motorsports 427 Shifter. AFX Powerdex wide band. TIC clutch master.Monster stage3 with 18 lbs flyweel. AFX wideband. 10LBS boost. ALKYCONTROL methanol injection. DTE Trans Brace, Built MN6, NGK Iridium 7IX , 2 Bar MAP.
    [email protected]
    www.haysauto.com

Tuner in Training
    If it ever does show up, I am looking for the Lucas 42.5# Injector data, specifically Offset info..

thanks!

Tuner in Training

Accel 42's

Are the Accel 42lb injectors similar? They have the same style EV1 body. Do I have to buy the DVD for the tables? Ordered the books but haven't had time to read yet.

Advanced Tuner
    you know...you could just buy good injectors with good data and be done with it.