Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Does EFI Live Do It?

Tuner

How Does EFI Live Do It?

Two of my customers have gone to another shop that promised and delivered a 24 MPG Duramax tune. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad because they came to me when the other shop couldn't provide the power. Apparently there is a west coast shop that has found something. Best I got was ~18 MPG.

Got any ideas for that kind of economy?

24 mpg? with what engine??? And that is impressive if it delivered.

EFI and HP are pretty identical. EFI opens up a few more tables than what HP offers, such as PID control over your VVT. Both have their pros and cons.

As for that kind of economy, beats me. I can get 19-20 mpg on my lbz going about 65 on the highway. Ill have to check that again since I just now took the DOC off and just have a banks muffler on it. Should be able to get maybe .5-1 mpg with the DOC off...

If you can figure it out, let me know too
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Tuner
    I wasn't implying EFI had more capability than HPT. But, it does seem like more diesel shops use EFI.

I went back over the LBZ tune and did find some cruise boost that could be reduced. I was so proud of that tune. It had throttle pedal integrated timing for cruise, mid-range, and power.

Tuner in Training
    EFI also offers the switch that allows you to adjust tunes on the fly. Thats the biggest reason I lose duramax work to another local efi live tuner shop.

I've always wondered 'why' on the switchable tunes...can't you control your foot ?
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 196.7 MPH on the Salt
    Superflow SF600 FlowBench -- Superflow Autodyn 30 Chassis Dyno -- Superflow SF901 Engine Dyno--RaceLogic Emulator -- MikiPro Logic Emulator -- ASNU Injector Flow Bench --

There are a lot of neat things you can do with a switchable system. An example would be a tow brake that closed your vanes whenever you lift off the pedal. Works well. Plus, its appealing to customers to have 5 tunes versus 1... and if someone else drives it, you don't have to worry about them having to control there foot. Hopefully you don't have those people drive your vehicle, but its a possibility.
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

street tune, anti-theft tune, valet tune are some that come to mind.

Advanced Tuner
    I got 22.5mpg averaging 65mph, 19mpg averaging 77mph, but around town my mileage is between 13-16mpg depending on the stop and go.
    98 - z/28 Twin TC76's l forged 347 l boost cam l moser 9" l th400
    07.5 - GMC Sierra 2500HD D-Max daily
    09 - G8 GT wifes daily

Quote Originally Posted by heavyevans View Post
    Pass emissions tune, anti-theft tune, valet tune are some that come to mind.
    And a hidden switch so nobody could easily bypass these 'tunes'.

I just don't let anyone else drive my diesel...and if I had to pass emissions, it'd be a couple second download/reflash to deal with that, assuming that my present tune wouldn't pass.

Towing my trailer ? I just drive it nice.

Just my preference...
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 196.7 MPH on the Salt
    Superflow SF600 FlowBench -- Superflow Autodyn 30 Chassis Dyno -- Superflow SF901 Engine Dyno--RaceLogic Emulator -- MikiPro Logic Emulator -- ASNU Injector Flow Bench --

Quote Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
    And a hidden switch so nobody could easily bypass these 'tunes'.
    Why would you need another switch to hide when you can just hide, camouflage or have a key to operate the five position switch for the five different tunes?

I'm no expert yet (doubt I'll ever be), but I'm led to believe an emission tune isn't drivable it will just idle to pass the test. Don't think an inspector will allow you to flash the truck in the inspection bay. But then I don't know, I'm not in a state that requires testing and I've never been through one.
    Last edited by heavyevans; 04-13-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Everyone has their preferences. The good thing is you have two platforms that offer great support and products that allow us to argue whether or not you need 5 tunes or 1
    Andrew

I have only used HP. Presently I have no use for the option to switch tunes on the fly. Just commenting that some might like this feature.

I'm also not looking for an argument, just asking questions on things that I might not fully understand.

Did HPT ever add back the features for DPF removal? That is one huge advantage they just handed over to EFI.
    2006 LBZ Duramax
    5" Magnaflow turbo-back
    EGR blocked
    HP Tuned by yours truly

Tuner
    I suspect DPF removal is an EPA liability issue that all tuning systems will delete. Older HPT versions have DPF disable.
    Last edited by Roger Ramjet; 11-28-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyevans View Post
    Why would you need another switch to hide when you can just hide, camouflage or have a key to operate the five position switch for the five different tunes?

I'm no expert yet (doubt I'll ever be), but I'm led to believe an emission tune isn't drivable it will just idle to pass the test. Don't think an inspector will allow you to flash the truck in the inspection bay. But then I don't know, I'm not in a state that requires testing and I've never been through one.
    Why wouldn't it be driveable? I haven't seen a lot of guys create them, but a stock tune could be considered an emissions tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
    I've always wondered 'why' on the switchable tunes...can't you control your foot ?
    EGTs when towing
    Anti Theft
    Turbo Brake

Just a few advantages to switchable tuning.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns98TA View Post
    Did HPT ever add back the features for DPF removal? That is one huge advantage they just handed over to EFI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
    I suspect DPF removal is an EPA liability issure that all tuning systems will delete. Older HPT versions have DPF disable.
    It's unfortunate to see HPT drop support for DPF removal, it limits people to EFI Live that race offroad. Obviously it's been abused greatly though.

It's unfortunate to see HPT drop support for DPF removal, it limits people to EFI Live that race offroad. Obviously it's been abused greatly though.
    I agree that the DPF removal feature is abused, but lets be honest here. Making ANY changes to your fueling, timing, DTCs, etc are all EPA violations. Selling "offroad" exhaust systems is no different than selling "offroad" tuning from a liability standpoint.
    Its fine really, the consumers will just go to the vendor that supplies what they want. 98% of the 07+ guys looking for a tune want the DPF removed, legal or not. Crimes committed by the end-user are not the responsibility of HPT or EFI Live. Period.

DSP 5 switch is a very cool feature. At very least its an unnecessary gimmick that helps sales. As for mileage tunes, there is no way that EFI Live can produce a better mileage tune than HPT. Its all in the timing, fueling, hard parts, and most importantly the driver.
    2006 LBZ Duramax
    5" Magnaflow turbo-back
    EGR blocked
    HP Tuned by yours truly

Advanced Tuner
    I've got an old beta version if anyone needs it
    98 - z/28 Twin TC76's l forged 347 l boost cam l moser 9" l th400
    07.5 - GMC Sierra 2500HD D-Max daily
    09 - G8 GT wifes daily

Quote Originally Posted by TDFDiesel View Post
    Why wouldn't it be driveable? I haven't seen a lot of guys create them, but a stock tune could be considered an emissions tune.
    I believe it's a tune to compensate for hardware removal.