Thread: Wow... I need to talk with you guys.

Tuner in Training

Wow... I need to talk with you guys.

So yesterday I was doing a few basic tunes for some friends with colorados... basic being just changing a few parameters (speed limiter, adjusting for rims, torque management, and a few other small tweaks, nothing that I havent done 20 times now) and I finished my 2nd truck and went into do another guys truck and heres the situation.

I plugged into his truck right after doing another Colorado, by accident I hit write calibration instead of read entire... with the modded program from the manual truck stil on the screen it went through the quick steps before it writes and normally with the VINs not matching the program shouldn't let me load the tune into there, but I don't know how/why but it just started loading the tune (even though it has a different vin on it) and in the end the truck wouldn't shift outta 1st gear or reverse and the indicator for the transmission (the little part in the cluster that tells you what gear your in for the auto) completely dissapeared. I'm thinking the truck took the program from the manual and basically got the auto program wiped... shouldnt there be things that prevent that? I mean I hit a warning like 20 times trying to load other automatic trucks tunes with no success.

So after trying a couple things like writing trans tables from another auto onto the now manual truck (or so it thinks) and getting extremely frustrated...the bottom line is after an hour or two in the blazing sun I couldn't get it figured out so he get towed to a near-by dealership. They checked it out and couldn't get it back to normal so they ended up replacing the whole modual and now I've gotta foot the $633 bill...

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions/help? Is there any way to get into contact with a HPtuners person on the phone so I can talk with them and I can figure out how the HELL this happened because it defenitly ruined my day/week

thanks...

-Zach

the VIN in the calibration does not determine the OS, which is why they do not have to match.

If you did a write calibration, then chances are the OS' matched.

We have some very powerful checks in place for PCM's that support it (most do).
    You cannot do a write entire of the OS ID's do not match (except on 97-98 V8's)
    You cannot write a calibration that is not compatable with the PCM hardware.

Also, a dealer can reflash your truck with its original VIN and it should have its proper tune back in it. I read on here that NAPA can do this as well? One of those auto retailers at least...

Definately no need to replace the entire module.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Well thats apperently what they did... and it's already done...

The dealership should have know this IMO... it was a LARGE dealership, and apperently one of their top techs was on it and couldnt figure it out I have a feeling since it was almost closing time they wanted to make some big $$$ and get outta there as quickly as possible. Anyways I think this is bullshit (the situation not your response) but I appreciate your quick response... the trucks were both 04's and thats prolly why it let me write it.

So I guess i'm fucked.

Is there anything I can do? I mean this is really f'ed up and I have a feeling the dealer just said "well we can just do this" and he said yeah fix it.

-Zach

Tuner in Training
    I'm calling the dealership on monday after I get as many names of people there as possible. I think it's bullshit that they would replace the modual since they couldnt figure it out quickly. I mean they should have been able to easily do this... and when he called ahead of time they said they can and will do it for $97 which was fine with me... but fuck man $633? Like I said since it was 1:30pm on a saturday when they closed @ 3pm i'm pretty sure it was a rush job and they were just trying to finish shit and get outta there.

-Zach

vcm flashing will solve your problem (as keith said ). flash your vcm with tech2 and tune it, nothing to worry vcm is ok its not fried !!!!!

Tuner in Training
    Well like I said the financial damage is already done unfortuantly and the dealership is known for shady practices (so i've heard). Guess I got the shaft...

-Zach

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you might want to have them give you the pcm for future use if need be
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    YOU Definataly got screwed. Unless you didn't tell them what happend. They have no way of telling you messed with it . if you didn't say anything.When the tech II scans it all it does is look at the calibration # and if it is the latest and greatest The tech wouldn't go any further. ON the other hand if you told them what you did They could use the replace module and write to fix the problem. I would get the pcm back though.

Tuner
    you can reprogram a vcm with the tech2 even if it has the latest and greatest tune in it.

request info with the tech2 and when it shows you the vin and asks if its correct you say NO

then when you go into sps programing you choose replace and program pcm.
    it will ask you for the vin input you stock vin and it will work from there.