Thread: No power until +/- 2500 RPM

Tuner in Training

No power until +/- 2500 RPM

Hey, this is the tune from my buddies 02 GMC 5.3. We are having a hard time with gains down low. The truck has a small cam, LTs + ORY, Efans, CAI, and a high flowing muffler. The truck wont even burn the tires off the line and doesn't really start pulling until around 2500 RPMs. Is there something we are missing. The truck was tuned with a LC1, the VE is almost spot on. It has never been able to burn the tires without a substaintial amount of brake. Any advise will greatly be appreciated.

J

Senior Tuner
    You can try incresing the PE Enrichment rate to try and get max enrichment ramped in sooner and make sure that you don't have any timing retard at the lower rpms. Also, keep in mind that tire size can be a factor with how a truck, or car for that matter "feels" down low. I get alot of guys with larger tires but still running stock gears ask me why I cant make it accelerate faster. The PCM and tuning software will only give you what you have, no more. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ElecTech; 07-01-2007 at 06:11 PM.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    Yeah thanks, I understand that. I am just confused what tuning differences there are on some 5.3 trucks that make some have gobs of torque and some lack all low end power. Granted it is cammed, but it is a "baby" cam. I am just wondering if there is a power limiter that I missed. Anyhow, THANKS!

J

Potential Tuner
    It takes longer for air to flow through LTs as well. I don't see significant gains in hp until 3000 rpm.

You got a TON of timing down low and probably pulling all of it back out (and leaving it out for a long time) because of KR. Get that a little closer to stock and monitor KR down low.

You didn't mention a converter or anything else done to the trans?
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Does a run look something like this attachment? This is one of my first-ever runs at a local track last friday night (truck needs a driver mod more than anything else right now!).

You see it flash to 1800 (stock stall), then at 2500 you see it start pulling harder.

Only perf mods at this point are my lame tuning, opened up airbox, and efans. Air sucked (high humidity, 85*), IAT was 100*. Tune is still on stock high-octane spark table. Changes are primarily VE, PE, trans pressure tables, abuse mode off, 25% TM reduction, and wot shift points. Ended up a little lean (13.1:1), ran a 10.50 @ 68.59 (1/8 mile).

Mind you, I don't know what it means yet, but I see it too...
    Jerry

'02 Sierra Z71 5.3 w/100K miles - HPTuners, PLX Wideband, LS1 efans, 145A Alt, 'Vette servo, Poor man's 1/2 drop - Just starting to scratch that itch...

If you have a stock converter you probably need something with a higher stall to go with that cam. Also, what gear are you running? And what are the specs on your cam?

Looks like the PCM is running off the LO Spark table.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Not sure which of us you're referring to, but my tune has high copied over to low (I have learned some things ). And looking at supajut's file, he does too. Mind you his is pretty different from mine...
    Jerry

'02 Sierra Z71 5.3 w/100K miles - HPTuners, PLX Wideband, LS1 efans, 145A Alt, 'Vette servo, Poor man's 1/2 drop - Just starting to scratch that itch...

Senior Tuner
    Look to see whether burst knock retard is activating on
    you, earlier 5.3 with the cable throttle that I messed with
    had burst knock delta CylAir thresholds that were too low
    and it pulled a bunch of timing anytime the RPM was trying
    to rise fast (basically, the VE table slope you traverse was
    making the delta w/ RPM large).

Trucks also had a crappy PE enable setup, mode delay and
    high enable TPS and slow ramp and used low timing to cover
    it (too bad about performance but enjoy that extra MPG
    while towing gutlessly).

I would log all spark retard related PIDs one time and see
    which (if any) may be meddling. And commanded fuel air
    multiplier so you can see if you are getting PE on cue or
    if she's witholding.

Tuner in Training
    WOW, sorry guys!!! Been on Vacation, still am. Will check into these things and post back up. THANKS!!

Tuner in Training
    OK, we logged the timing and put the values closer to stock. No KR is being pulled and no noticable difference. We logged the PE and it isn't kicking in until around 3600 RPM, is this common or is this the major limiting factor? EC the trans has a servo and a shift kit, he is saving for a stall..... The gears are 3.73 with stock tires. I don't have the cam card infront of me..... I think its around 212 with 550 lift. Jimmy we set the values higher in the burst knock so it won't come into play. I guess we need some help in the PE department. Thanks guys!!!

Tuner in Training
    Don't know why it would be taking *that* bleepin' long, but you can speed it up. Looking at the original tune you posted, set PE Enable torque to 0, and Enrichment Rate to 4.

If you've got ve in line and the knock is gone then lean it out some! Right now you're commanding 11.4:1 at 4400+ (stock tables suck). I didn't see you say you've got a supercharger on this thing.
    Jerry