Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting test of many widebands

Interesting test of many widebands

Tuner in Training
    Please tell me they didn't really test accuracy by holding the sensor up to a tank of room-temperature gas and cranking open the valve...

An interesting read all the same.
    Jerry

'02 Sierra Z71 5.3 w/100K miles - HPTuners, PLX Wideband, LS1 efans, 145A Alt, 'Vette servo, Poor man's 1/2 drop - Just starting to scratch that itch...

Tuner
    If all that is true then we can make more power when tuning with a good wideband

Tuner
    This suxs the plx in that review was really bad
    I have the plx r-500 there best unit i wounder if the w/b cal is the same in my unit

That is a good read and interesting rankings. Innovative up top and Dynojet WBC well towards the bottom.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

That is bogus!! My plx was in one of the bungs in the back. All the other wb's stole O2 from it.

Interesting, but for a test that can't be disputed scientifically they shouldn't have stacked the bungs like that. Max 4-5 bungs equidistant downstream to avoid cross contamination and maintain equal flow around each.

Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe
    That is bogus!! My plx was in one of the bungs in the back. All the other wb's stole O2 from it.

Interesting, but for a test that can't be disputed scientifically they shouldn't have stacked the bungs like that. Max 4-5 bungs equidistant downstream to avoid cross contamination and maintain equal flow around each.
    actually the tests they performed were very well done and the placement of the o2's was done properly to get good exhaust flow over each one..
    cross contamination is not an issue....the gas doesnt get processed and then change because it hits an o2 sensor
    -Scott -

Not A Tuner
    I thought the point of needing a unit that can be reclibrated as the sensor ages and is abused was very inlightening ...... If I had know this I would not have gotten the PLX......

I have started getting lean readings on WOT maybe its the WB contaminated with oil blowby and Octane booster metalics

DH

2004 MSG A4

Appearance: Billet Plate&Sill/SS Insert/Screens/Blackout/Lowered/CCW SP500

Perfomance: 416 CI/228-232@114/AFR 225/FAST/LS2 TB/36#Injectors/Honker/RPM(IV)/Vig2400/Z06 Ti/Kooks/3.42 Gear/Hotchkis/Bilstein/Z06 Springs/Eradispeed/Hawk HP+/Trans Cooler/B&M Trans Pan/RonDavies with EOC/Nitto R2's/AMWcan/Rocker Rails/Frame Savers

Mods & Tune: A&A Corvette

??? RWHP / ??? RWTQ
    1/4 mile: mid 11's ??
    WSIR 1:37.68

and they did say the PLX was the worst one as far as accuracy went.....
    -Scott -

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    and they did say the PLX was the worst one as far as accuracy went.....
    But it wasn't the SM-AFR

DH

actually the tests they performed were very well done and the placement of the o2's was done properly to get good exhaust flow over each one..
    cross contamination is not an issue....the gas doesnt get processed and then change because it hits an o2 sensor
    I was just kidding because i'm using a plx.

Not A Tuner
    When I get time I am going to bring this to the attention of PLX.

I will report back their response.........

DH

Tuner in Training
    I posed the question in their forums yesterday afternoon. They've now stickied a response:
    PLX Forum Response
    Jerry

'02 Sierra Z71 5.3 w/100K miles - HPTuners, PLX Wideband, LS1 efans, 145A Alt, 'Vette servo, Poor man's 1/2 drop - Just starting to scratch that itch...

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jknox
    I posed the question in their forums yesterday afternoon. They've now stickied a response:
    PLX Forum Response
    Thanks !!!!

DH

Quote Originally Posted by jknox
    PLX Forum Response
    I have an issue with their response...
    WTF is that chart without stating what the control was and what the value was supposed to be...?? and no comparison of overall accuracy in their response??

to me from that brief sticky post it looks like to me when a politician covers his/her ass with something that makes no sense at all...
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    I have an issue with their response...
    WTF is that chart without stating what the control was and what the value was supposed to be...?? and no comparison of overall accuracy in their response??

to me from that brief sticky post it looks like to me when a politician covers his/her ass with something that makes no sense at all...
    I decided to let someone else say it first...

But yeah, the response seems kind of lame. They start off with the implication that Innovate got the best score because they advertise with FM (which admittedly has happened in other instances/industries). Then point out a low score that Innovate received in another review (that PLX wasn't included in). And then finish with a variation on "we're best because we say so".

I was hoping to see a dissection of the test methodology, or a at least a "we are discussing the results with FM" type of response. Instead we get what looks like a hurried response from the marketing department.

WAITAMINIT. I just went and reread their post. THAT IS NOT THE SAME POST THAT WAS THERE YESTERDAY. Looks like they went back and "professionalized" it a bit. Originally there was actually a screenshot of the FM article showing an Innovate add on the right along with the payola suggestion. It's almost a complete rewrite.

Hmmm....
    Jerry

n=1 says it all

As a professional biochemist (and technical product manager) my initial reaction is the data is the data (good or bad). However n=1 does not even come close to providing empirical evidence that one product is superior to another. As a scientist I would crawl under the nearest rock if someone asked me to publish something like this.
    Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

Quote Originally Posted by flea
    As a professional biochemist (and technical product manager) my initial reaction is the data is the data (good or bad). However n=1 does not even come close to providing empirical evidence that one product is superior to another. As a scientist I would crawl under the nearest rock if someone asked me to publish something like this.
    well if I understand you correctly..... if your spedometer was out by 10% and you knew that you could account for that. so if 66mph = 60actual

then if 13.7 is actually 14.7 then tune that way. how do you verify this though? I would say you go to a dyno tune shop and compare to obtain accuracy. What if they are not accurate? LOL

any suggestions?
    1/4 - 13.9 @ 101.6, Best 60ft 2.1840 Performance mods to obtain best times - GMS2 and a K&N drop in filter.
    But now GMS2 is SOLD Car needs more work with tune. 13.9 with very rough tune.
    GIMILI Drag Raceway September 29th or BUST

The primary concern I have with this evaluation is the number of units of each product (only 1) tested. The basic experimental protocol appears to be sound. Purchase (and evaluate) a minimum of 3 of each product. Ideally from different sources and each one from a different lot. Statistically is 3 that different than 1? No ....... but this would at least add some additional credibility to the results.

Toyota and Honda have built reputations on reliability. If a comparison of a brand new car (the new civic for example) from either manufacturer indicated the car did not perform well (e.g. reliable) against other brands you would likely be skeptical.

I'm not saying PLX WBs aren't junk (and I have one) or possibly better than all the others, only that it's difficult to draw any real conclusions from this test. As is the evaluation falls under the category of "interesting" and that's about it. Maybe this particular PLX was a lemon?
    Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

Advanced Tuner
    Haven't read the article yet, but wouldn't it be wise to include at least 2 of the same make/model wideband for every make/model they tested? Maybe even 3... That way you could further ensure the accuracy of the tests (and the stability of the test environment). Also would eliminate the possibility of manufacturing flaws (although this may be rare in wbo2s?)..
    2006 Trailblazer SS - Stalled, Cammed, Tuned, Turbo'd, Built, and Stroked.
    Runs on cash, blood, sweat, and tears...... and 93 octane.

2007 Cadillac STS-V - Stock.