Thread: Trouble with KR above MAP kpa75

Potential Tuner

Trouble with KR above MAP kpa75

Howdy I need some guru knowledge, I have a 99 Z28 m6 with 5.3l stage 2.5 heads, a tsp 233/239 113lsa cam, long tubes basic other bolt ons. I had the car tuned by a local shop(maf tune from the looks of it) after which it ran ok but very rich after about 5000 miles the car started to hesitate under acceleration. I picked up hptuners and a lc-1 and started logging, after correcting some of the pig rich afr the car is still pulling timing when the MAP kpa is above 75. I will attach the log file of a quick wot run, this is after taking timing out of the spark table. Changes to PE and VE tables don't seem to have much effect on the knock retard that I am experiencing, and pulling timing out of the spark tables seems to make the car run worse and worse. Any suggestions where to go from here would be great, thanks.
    Attached is the last tune I tried with a lot of spark taken out.
    Attachment 6538

Attachment 6539

Try this tune, I hope you didn't pay for your tune! I returned the VE tables back to stock as the Maf is in control of the fueling, and the primary table was mostly higher than stock, and the secondary table was lower than stock. Your EGR was still enabled (I disabled it). I set the PE to 1.13 (13.0 AFR). Your PE was at 1.30 (11.29 AFR). I then added to your Maf table to get your AFR in the range.

Use my Maf cfg file for tuning your Maf. Then use the Idle cfg file to tune the RAF table.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 06-10-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Potential Tuner
    well thanks for the config files and tune I will give it a shot again. The tune I posted was my weak effort to fix the problem, I paid $500 for this one .

Potential Tuner
    Ok I tried the tune you sent it seems to run strong in stop and go driving, the idle was good to. But once I tried a wot run it seemed to make a metal rattling noise pull timing and then it died, I am including the log from the last run. I had to wait a while on the side of the road before the car would fire up, this may be another problem, fouled plugs or who knows what. If I am experiencing a real knock how do I find out what is causing it? The AFR during the run didn't look really bad a little high compared to the commanded. I am starting to think that I have a mechanical problem that is cause the knock, carbon buildup(could this be caused by running rich for a while?). Any ideas where to go from here would be great? Any thoughts on why the car would die after experiencing knock retard would be great too. Thanks again for your time I appreciate the help a lot those config files and tune are pretty neat.

Your AFR is very lean. I rescaled your Maf table, but it shouldn't have been that lean. You should check for vacuum leaks,
    plugged fuel filter, or low fuel pressure.

Russ Kemp

Potential Tuner
    Thanks again for the suggestions I tried the tune you sent, the changes to the maf seems to have the AFR closer to 13, but I am still having massive KR and stalling after a wot run. I am losing my nerve after sitting on the side of the road for 30 mins cranking the engine and praying. It is strange after a while it will start back up and run fine as long as I don't hammer it. I believe I will investigate and replace the fuel filter and plugs before trying another run, new plugs and a fuel filter are cheaper then a tow. here are the logs of the last 2 runs before the car died. Thanks again for your time I really appreciate the effort.

any update on what happend?
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs