Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RTT Simple question

Quote Originally Posted by HeadstrongMS
    I have tune FAST XFI, AEM, ECU TECH. This HP tuners is a pain in the a$$ so much unnecessary things in it.
    I've tued a 1300 hp vehicle on nothing other than HP Tuners...on the Stock PCM with a 3 bar SD enhancement...

you call things unnecessary...truth is...I didnt need a 3 bar OS....but its so much more consistent than anything else I've ever used...and the guy had a FAST system(which sucked compared to the HPT 3 bar OS) that he was trying to use before I went back to the stock PCM .

please tell me what you find unnecessary and I will show you the use for it as best as I can
    -Scott -

I would think he is just a little overwhelmed by all the adjustments HPT has. I know the program I was using for my eclipse had maybe 1/4 of the controls this has. For the majority of us I would think at least 1/2 of the adjustments on HPT will never be used. I wont complain though because I would rather have too much than saying "damm wish I could change that". Hang in there HeadstrongMS, you will start to get it sooner or later.
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestic rice
    I would think he is just a little overwhelmed by all the adjustments HPT has. I know the program I was using for my eclipse had maybe 1/4 of the controls this has. For the majority of us I would think at least 1/2 of the adjustments on HPT will never be used. I wont complain though because I would rather have too much than saying "damm wish I could change that". Hang in there HeadstrongMS, you will start to get it sooner or later.
    That I understand...the aftermarket systems have like 1 main spark table, maybe 1 main VE table & 1 or 2 main fueling tables...they are pretty simplistic from what I've heard which is great for someone who's never tuned in their life, but in that reguard they are very limited in what they can do.

GM & im sure other manufacturers have one table that might affect 3 others so its like a domino effect with the stock pcm's which is good in that you can fine tune things, but bad in some cases as it can look overwhelming to some.

Bottom line is if its in there now, at some point someone requested it
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    That I understand...the aftermarket systems have like 1 main spark table, maybe 1 main VE table & 1 or 2 main fueling tables...they are pretty simplistic from what I've heard which is great for someone who's never tuned in their life, but in that reguard they are very limited in what they can do.....
    They are aimed at more "serious" cars that can hit a brickwall with the factory PCM. They work really well on dedicated race cars that don't need the pile options needed for pump gas and street driving under a wide range of conditions.

I can tell you what I DO like about them; CL WB control
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    FWIW I Always run the SD enhanced RTT when available...there are too many pro's to it in comparison.

the MAF RTT is a very niche based Operating system that for many shops will work great. Example:

Bolt on car
    Apply MAF RTT
    Put it in MAF, PE, Spark mode
    Throw it on the dyno
    Setup your PE the way you want it first pull as well as spark
    Make your run logging maf hz, etc.
    Dial your maf frequency table in
    now toy with your pe/spark tables to dial in fuel
    done.

Simplest tune ever with great results.

But if you plan on running SD all the time the SD OS just has too many advantages, most of which are listed here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...9644#post59644 I plan on getting the MAF unlimited license soon because in certain applications there is a benefit to it in comparison, but without a MAF to worry about the SD custom OS is the way to go

I only have bolt-on mods, so, for a newb self-tuner, the simplicity of MAF RTT seems like the best enhancement to use for a good tune. Sound good?

IMO, no. The SD RTT allows you to tune the VE table perfectly, WITH the option to tune the MAF and use it if/when you want.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Just to be 100% clear, with the SD 1 bar, you would tune in OL (disconnect the maf) and that makes it easier to tune. Now when you hook everything back up to run in CL with the maf and 02's again, the old maf controls will still no longer be there, but what you do have left is still enough to take care of any problems that might need adjusting. Is that correct?
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

The MAF is fully functional when enabled. Nothing changed. Even when you write the RTT OS to your PCM, the MAF is enabled. You have to disable it to tune in open loop. SD RTT is the ideal non-GM OS, and when HPT adds the auto-tune feature to it, tuners and laymen will be bowing in front of it.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531
    IMO, no. The SD RTT allows you to tune the VE table perfectly, WITH the option to tune the MAF and use it if/when you want.
    But to tune with SD RTT, as I understand it, I need wideband O2 sensors. Right? Or not? So, I was meaning to use MAF RTT until I get the widebands. Then, I'd do the SD RTT. That's the path I was thinking of using while I'm learning.

Any proper tune tune will require a wideband for accuracy.
    Best regards,
    Bill

Tuner in Training
    Yes...I was just thinking that I could get a sorta decent tune going now before I get widebands. I think I'll get LC-1s within the next 2 weeks. Meantime, I'm just trying to learn a little at a time...taking baby steps. Thanks for ur help.

I hope that you realize that you only NEED one, right?
    Best regards,
    Bill

Tuner in Training
    Yes, but I was thinking one for each bank so I would be better able to tune each bank, or at least make sure one side (the one w/o the wideband) wouldn't be off balance or something. Or maybe just to assure myself, otherwise I'll always be asking myself, "I wonder what the other side is doing" or "what if the other side is rich/lean." Obsessive? Yes, I know, I know, it's a problem I have in my mind.

Both banks use the same VE table & same MAF table as well. The only bank adjustments are with the STFT & LTFT's as they are bank oriented.

You don't have a "bank bias" for tuning, so if one side is significantly off, there's usually something wrong mechanically with the motor.
    Always Support Our Troops!