Thread: I need some quick fan setting help please.

Tuner

I need some quick fan setting help please.

Okay, this is what I'm looking at...

What I don't understand is how the fan enable speed/climate control/a/c plays into this.

What I am trying to accomplish is both fans ON above 195*F, and high speed. This is for my track day tomorrow, and I'm hoping it will help me to run cooler than the 230*F that I ran last time I was at the track. I can't seem to find any 'climate control override' that was mentioned in a thread that I looked at from my search, but I did find something about fans in the scanner.

Car is a '99 vette, 160* tstat, and I would appreciate any help understanding this.
    Last edited by anymanusa; 03-22-2007 at 08:58 PM.

This is how my fan table is set up for my 160* stat. The V6 cars have a climate control over ride table, not the V8's.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    thanks, but with such a low "fan 1 disable speed" won't your fans turn off prematurely for track use? I will be road racing this weekend (HPDE to be exact), and I don't want the fans to turn off at all while I'm runnin' round the track.

Your engine isn't going to run below 180*F if your road racing.These settings allow the fans to cycle on & off, in traffic.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Your engine isn't going to run below 180*F if your road racing.These settings allow the fans to cycle on & off, in traffic.

Russ Kemp
    I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I want my engine to run below the 230*F that it normally runs when road racing. I would prefer 195-210 if possible, but I don't know if that is possible with a stock radiator. If you've ever read the description that HPTuners help gives, or the description given when you hover the mouse pointer over the 'fan enable speed' or 'fan disable speed' it is very confusing. It is not in the lease bit clear to me.

='if a/c is on, fan will enable below this speed' 'fan will not enable above this speed if coolant is hot (v6 only)'.

I don't plan on running the a/c at all, and I don't understand how the enable plays into the fan operation. I just want straight fans ON and HIGH while I'm running the track (when coolant is above 195).

If you don't know that's fine, but really, I understand how an engine uses fan settings to maintain a desireable operating temperature in traffic. I've read many of your posts in other threads, and it seems like you have a good grasp of tuning, I just have a very specific question that I would like answered, "how does the fan enable/disable play into the fan operation?"

thanks

If your A/C isn't turned on, the the mph enable & disable speeds won't be used. If the A/C is turned on with the ECT below the fan on temp, the fans (low speed) will turn on below 30 mph and turn off above 35 mph (unless the coolant is hot V6 only).

Fan 1 is low speed (both fans) and fan 2 is high speed (both fans) The high speed fans won't turn off until the ECT is below 180*F.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    If your A/C isn't turned on, the the mph enable & disable speeds won't be used. If the A/C is turned on with the ECT below the fan on temp, the fans (low speed) will turn on below 30 mph and turn off above 35 mph (unless the coolant is hot V6 only).

Fan 1 is low speed (both fans) and fan 2 is high speed (both fans) The high speed fans won't turn off until the ECT is below 180*F.

Russ Kemp
    excellent, thank you. Might have to use better numbers than what I have above, but that is exactly what I wanted to know.

thanks.