Thread: Ecu vs tcm pid

Tuner in Training

Ecu vs tcm pid

So when in scanner and I chose tcm-engine-throttle, is the reported pid from the trans or just relayed from the ecu?
    I'm asking as I get a u0100 and u0101, yet I can see tps and all engine related stuff when choosing it from the tcm section... So is it acualy data from the tcm or just referenced to ecu

TPS, APP, etc. are all processed by the ECM. That data is sent to the TCM and used for trans operation. No direct wiring from engine related sensors go to the TCM

Tuner in Training
    yea what im asking is if i chose a engine TPS from the TCM section of VCM scanner, do the data come from the TCM ie. what the TCM gets from the ECU or is it just VCM Scanner takes the ECU pid and shows even tho you chose a TCM pid? Because when i chose a TCM-engine-TPS, i get data but the U0100 and U0101 says that shuld not be possible as the ECU cant communicate with TCM....

I use Tech2Win and GDS2. When you want data you have to specifically request access to the specific module. It then gives you the data that is available. While I didn't engineer the software I will go out on a limb and say the data you are asking of the transmission is data that was send to the TCM and then displayed on the scan tool. Hope that answered your question.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    I use Tech2Win and GDS2. When you want data you have to specifically request access to the specific module. It then gives you the data that is available. While I didn't engineer the software I will go out on a limb and say the data you are asking of the transmission is data that was send to the TCM and then displayed on the scan tool. Hope that answered your question.
    Yea most tools I've worked with have done the same, so hope it's the case here.. But I don't see how it's possible with a U0100 and u0101, so hope a HP tech can pop in and answer. Thanks for the insight

Quote Originally Posted by tonn0297 View Post
    Yea most tools I've worked with have done the same, so hope it's the case here.. But I don't see how it's possible with a U0100 and u0101, so hope a HP tech can pop in and answer. Thanks for the insight
    All it takes is a VERY short duration of no communication to set those codes. Often times set by the BCM when it requests a state of health request. I use the Data Bus Diagnostic Tool to see how long or if a module is communicating on the different types (DLC Pin) of data