Thread: 01 Silverado 6.0 New To Tuning Help

Potential Tuner

01 Silverado 6.0 New To Tuning Help

This is our first time trying to tune anything, we've been trying to read everything and watch all the videos to make sure we get everything done right and during VE tuning and MAF tuning everything seemed to be going really well. Once we finished that and set everything back to work together now it's running lean.
    Details: 2001 Silverado 1500 HD 6.0 Auto 2WD 4l80E Transmission
    Upgrades: Brian Tooley Torque Cam https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BTC-30202111R1
    Summit Racing Heads supposed to be similar to AFR 210 enforcers https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-162LS210CATH
    TBSS intake FItech 92mm throttle body to match intake
    ACdelco 2173412 50lbs flex fuel injector (copied data from here, thank you!)
    1.8 ratio COMP Cams Ultra Pro Magnum roller rocker arms https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-1677-16
    AEM 30-0300 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Everything else is basically stock, cats, manifolds, all of it. No EGR. We aren't trying to build a race truck, it's a work truck that's been serving us well for 350,000 miles, just trying to maybe get a little more torque, maybe some better gas mileage and keep it going another 350,000. Thank you in advance for all assistance, sorry if we missed something really stupid!

shortleanlog.hplvetunedmaftunedidletunedplus10veplus10airflow.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Did you tune it in closed loop with narrow bands or open loop with wide band? If the latter there is your problem.

Potential Tuner
    I disabled closed loop and open loop using the instructions goatropegarage and choppersdoc181 have on YouTube using a wideband.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry so looking back at my notes I went to closed loop enable - ect vs iat - and changed that table to 283.

Then open loop - stft - disabled.

After tuning I reverted these values back to stock.

Senior Tuner
    If it is going to run on narrow bands it should be tuned with narrow bands. Use the wide band for PE. The method of tuning idle and part throttle with a wide band of questionable accuracy has been wrong from it's inception. it just took years for people to realize it.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the replies I typed up my messy hand notes so I could post exactly what I did and maybe someone could tell me exactly where I messed it up at.
    VE Tuning

Eng Diag – Airflow – MAF frequency fail high = 0
    DTC P0101,2,3 = Uncheck SES MIL on 1st Error
    Eng – Airflow – General – Main VE = 1.15% multiply to table
    Eng – Fuel – Open/Closed Loop – LTFT = Disable
    Min ECT = 283
    ECT vs IAT = 283 entire table
    STFT = Disabled
    Eng – Fuel – DFCO – Enable Temp = 283
    Eng – Fuel – COT = Disable
    Eng – Fuel – Open/Closed Loop – EQ ratio = Make Table 1
    Eng – Spark – Adv – High Octane Table – Copy
    Low Octane Table – Paste
    Eng – Fuel – Power Enrichment – PE Throttle Pedal – Cold – Delay = 0
    EQ Ratio – Stoich / 12.5 = paste to table

Log AFR ERR table – copy – paste special by % half to Main VE – Repeat

MAF Tuning

Eng Diag – Airflow – MAF frequency fail high = 13,000
    DTC P0101,2,3 = Check SES MIL on 2nd Error
    Eng – Airflow – Dynamic – High RPM diable = 1

Log MAF ERR table – copy leans – paste special by % – copy rich – paste special by % half – watch graph – smooth out peaks and pits – Repeat

Re-Enable

DFCO
    STFT
    LTFT
    COT
    Set Open Loop EQ ratio to stock
    Set Dynamic Airflow back to 4000 RPM

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    If it is going to run on narrow bands it should be tuned with narrow bands. Use the wide band for PE. The method of tuning idle and part throttle with a wide band of questionable accuracy has been wrong from it's inception. it just took years for people to realize it.
    Everything I was seeing about gen 3 was saying I needed the wideband to tune it. Do you have a link to info on how to tune it with the narrowband? I can reload the stock file and start again in the morning. Thank you again.

Senior Tuner
    Search the forum for tuning with fuel trims. It's been discussed at length.